Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We also are letting Ceci and Barrie walk and also probably inserting Sanding and Liljegren in on the 3rd pair making ELC money which should give us more than enough to fit him in.

Rielly - Pietro
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

Muzzin, Holl, Campbell, and Engvall already signed extensions that kick in next season, and that accounts for about 4.5 million extra, so that accounts for Ceci’s saving. Dermott and Mikheyev are RFAs and will likely get raises that erase the saving from Barrie.

Basically, we’ve already spent the savings that would have done from the departing UFAs, so we have to make room via trades. That’s why the Kapanen deal was so good.

Reactions: jaric1862 and kb

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
You'd have to think they would keep Holl with Muzzin perminently and slot Dermott #3RD. This also means Lilly is at best a 7th

If Holl ends up getting out played by either Lehtonen or Dermott, and ends up on the 3rd pairing where Lilly can threaten his spot then he could be traded. They would lose him in the expansion draft in the end.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Parayko
Steen (if willing to waive ntc)
Kyrou

To St.Louis-
Nylander
Holl
15th overall pick

Toronto gets their much needed partner for Rielly. Dermott slides into the top 4 with Muzzin or is packaged with Kerfoot/ Johnson. Steen takes over as 3rd line center for a year and Kyrou adds some skill and size on the wings.

St. Louis gets the much needed cap space to resign Pietrangelo. Gets a top 6 winger in Nylander and Holl who would slide in perfectly behind Pietrangelo and Faulk on the right side. Also get the 15th overall pick in a pretty decent draft.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I will summarize what Mirtle and Lebrun said in their respective articles on the Athletic in own words.

Mirtle
Leafs got tired of Kapanen't act on ice and off ice. Other teams backed off when they did more research.
4 players are being dangled by the Leafs.

Andersen can be had for a useless low cost asset. Would be a cap clearing move.

Kerfoot

Engvall may go because the Leafs might want more of a physical element in the bottom 6.

Johnsson- The Leafs still like him a lot so they won't just give him away. It would have to be a precurser to a deal that lands them a defenceman.

There is no intention to trade Nylander, or at least right now.

Lebrun
Leafs spoke with teams like the Devils, Preds, Ducks, Wild, Blackhawks and Canes.

Leafs tried getting #13 back but no way that was happening. Same with the Ducks who weren't trading #6. Devils were willing to trade one of their lower 1sts, but they weren't trading a good prospect plus another piece as well on top.
Leafs asked for #17 from the Hawks but no interest.
Leafs probably asked for #11 from Preds, but that didn't happen.
Wild and Leafs engaged, but #9 pick was out of the question.
Oilers and Habs knew Kapanen was available, but again they weren't going to trade their 1sts for him.

Leafs and Andersen's group haven't talked. There was no mention of Matt Murray in the dialogue between Leafs and Pens.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@stickty111

small but important distinction, cost on Andersen is a "useful" but low cost asset. So relative to the price of a starting goalie that reads more like targeting a late 2nd/ B+ prospect from any taker rather than pursuing a franchise changing deal from a team looking for a long term starter

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I will summarize what Mirtle and Lebrun said in their respective articles on the Athletic in own words.

Mirtle
Leafs got tired of Kapanen't act on ice and off ice. Other teams backed off when they did more research.

Kerfoot

Engvall may go because the Leafs might want more of a physical element in the bottom 6.

Johnsson- The Leafs still like him a lot so they won't just give him away. It would have to be a precurser to a deal that lands them a defenceman.

Lebrun
Leafs spoke with teams like the Devils, Preds, Ducks, Wild, Blackhawks and Canes.

Leafs tried getting #13 back but no way that was happening. Same with the Ducks who weren't trading #6. Devils were willing to trade one of their lower 1sts, but they weren't trading a good prospect plus another piece as well on top.
Oilers and Habs knew Kapanen was available, but again they weren't going to trade their 1sts for him.

Leafs and Andersen's group haven't talked. There was no mention of Matt Murray in the dialogue between Leafs and Pens.

Miles Wood for Engvall makes a lot of sense.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hoping we move on from Andersen. Clear more cap space to help the D and sign a guy like Talbot to pair with Campbell

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
@stickty111

small but important distinction, cost on Andersen is a "useful" but low cost asset. So relative to the price of a starting goalie that reads more like targeting a late 2nd/ B+ prospect from any taker rather than pursuing a franchise changing deal from a team looking for a long term starter
Pair someone with Campbell as 1a-1b. Save another 2-3 mil and throw it at the D core

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if Dubas is looking at hight priced AHL contracts. We've heard a few NHL teams are looking at cutting salary due to COVID and if no fans next year their owners want to cut cost. I heard ANA, Pit, ARI, NYI, MIN among other teams. I wonder if anyone of those teams has guys in the AHL making big money that the Leafs can take on and bury with the Mariles in return for some draft picks or prospects.

The deal with Pits Lingren was only going to make 70k next year while Warsofsky is making 400k in the Minors. Hopefully, Dubas explores a few more of those moves to use MLSE financial power to secure some more assets.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Mirtle

Kerfoot

Lebrun

I am not sure the Leafs sell Andersen for only cap. At least he would be a decent size piece to get a new starter. The rest seems accurate.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if Dubas is looking at hight priced AHL contracts. We've heard a few NHL teams are looking at cutting salary due to COVID and if no fans next year their owners want to cut cost. I heard ANA, Pit, ARI, NYI, MIN among other teams. I wonder if anyone of those teams has guys in the AHL making big money that the Leafs can take on and bury with the Mariles in return for some draft picks or prospects.

The deal with Pits Lingren was only going to make 70k next year while Warsofsky is making 400k in the Minors. Hopefully, Dubas explores a few more of those moves to use MLSE financial power to secure some more assets.

Warsofsky is likely just a vet addition to what is going to be a young Marlies defense. He was WBS captain and is a good AHL caliber defenseman, so I imagine he can play on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for the Marlies next year.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Mirtle

Kerfoot

Lebrun

surprised it was only for picks they spoke about for him

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Manson would be a great target. Let's flip this pick and Johnsson for him. Johnsson kinda looks like he'd be a duck lol

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Muzzin, Holl, Campbell, and Engvall already signed extensions that kick in next season, and that accounts for about 4.5 million extra, so that accounts for Ceci’s saving. Dermott and Mikheyev are RFAs and will likely get raises that erase the saving from Barrie.

Basically, we’ve already spent the savings that would have done from the departing UFAs, so we have to make room via trades. That’s why the Kapanen deal was so good.
Guessing Dermott is the odd man out and likely dealt if we are going to add a top 4 RHD. We are already set on the left side with Rielly, Muzzin and Sandin.

Reactions: Faltorvo

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
@stickty111

I will admit. I'm confused what useful low cost asset means. I know you explained it but still.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Sandin should probably have to earn his place, right? He's in tough competing with Dermott and Lehtonen.
Would be very surprised if we don't see Sandin - Liljegren as our 3rd pair for two reasons. They are both ready and we have to see what have in them with some NHL experience, and secondly they are ELC cap hits. Seems silly to pay Dermott and hold Sandin back.

Reactions: Havoc

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
funny,,,,, the goat got half that in goals with half that TOI

And Marner only got 1 more goal with 30% more minutes played and $9M more paid. I think the Anderson comp is fair. Gauthier is a passive giant who plays like he is 5'10" except with crazy reach. You could do worse for sure with a 9:00 a night guy but that doesn't mean he brings you Crouse back in a trade. Crouse was 8th in the league for hits by a forward and he doesn't play on the 4th line so he isn't dropping those on scrubs like Reaves or Martin. Although I like what Clifford brings the Leafs need some crunch higher up in the lineup. I have barely seen Crouse as a pro so I don't know exactly what he is as a total player. Similar numbers to Anderson does mean he is a similar player. If you wait for him to turn the final corner he becomes unaffordable.

Reactions: Nylander88

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
And Marner only got 1 more goal with 30% more minutes played and $9M more paid. I think the Anderson comp is fair. Gauthier is a passive giant who plays like he is 5'10" except with crazy reach. You could do worse for sure with a 9:00 a night guy but that doesn't mean he brings you Crouse back in a trade. Crouse was 8th in the league for hits by a forward and he doesn't play on the 4th line so he isn't dropping those on scrubs like Reaves or Martin. Although I like what Clifford brings the Leafs need some crunch higher up in the lineup. I have barely seen Crouse as a pro so I don't know exactly what he is as a total player. Similar numbers to Anderson does mean he is a similar player. If you wait for him to turn the final corner he becomes unaffordable.

Well based on many fancy data you actually can't do much if any worse than Gauthier. I'd love to see Crouse in white and blue - wonder what the cost would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad