Free Agents and Trade Thread - Offseason Part II

Would you trade Nylander for Tom Wilson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Do we know what is going on next year in terms of the NHL season?

I could see some vets with small kids just saying hell with the situation and moving their families to Canada for a year or two if the COVID situation in the US continues to deteriorate.

What if it is bubble again except you have family visit once a week? Going to be interesting to see what happens

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would suspect that Dermott would have to be on the list to be traded. As it stands, they will lose one of Holl or Dermott without even addressing the RD situation.

Unless some team is really high on him it might make more sense to give him a chunk of the regular season to prove himself. He would be harder to move as the year progresses but if nobody is knocking for him right now they don't have to give him away. If he looks good enough maybe they have to pay Seattle to take someone different.

Reactions: kb

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Mirtles thing that we are dangling Freddy, Johnsson, Kerfoot and Engvall to other teams, that screams to me we are gearing up for a run at someone.

Whether that is Pietrangelo, or two d-man in the 4-5M range (ala, Brodie and Tanev) who knows.

well it would have to be Petro. If we signed 2 UFA d that would make one exposed to expansion, which is just silly.

We either

1.) go all in on Petro
2.) try to trade the kappy haul plus dermott for a D.
3.) just stand pat and try to sign a brodie for under 5......

AJ and kerfoot values will jump next year probably. They will be owed like 2.1 x2. If mango plays top 6, he can score 30.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
well it would have to be Petro. If we signed 2 UFA d that would make one exposed to expansion, which is just silly.

We either

1.) go all in on Petro
2.) try to trade the kappy haul plus dermott for a D.
3.) just stand pat and try to sign a brodie for under 5......

AJ and kerfoot values will jump next year probably. They will be owed like 2.1 x2. If mango plays top 6, he can score 30.

If we signed two d-men, we would likely go with the 9 skaters route.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly, Muzzin, D #1, D #2, and Hyman most likely.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If we signed two d-men, we would likely go with the 9 skaters route.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly, Muzzin, D #1, D #2, and Hyman most likely.

If we are committed to Dermott, we could just protect him and expose the defenseman we sign. If we are getting a guy through trade, I imagine Dermott will be involved anyways. It depends on what forwards we are exposing as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we are committed to Dermott, we could just protect him and expose the defenseman we sign. If we are getting a guy through trade, I imagine Dermott will be involved anyways. It depends on what forwards we are exposing as well.

Unless the plan is to start Sandin in the AHL, which could be possible, I’m not sure Dermott will be back next year.

Which sucks. From what I’ve been told, the dude wants to be a Leaf, and a extension would be an easy negotiation (which Dubas hinted at today too). I do think Dermott has potential.

I suppose maybe we could sign two D, and then move Holl in a deal. A Rielly-player1, Muzzin-player2 and Sandin-Dermott set up

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Trading Andersen would be a hell of a bold move, because I'm not at all confident that Campbell can do the job.

But I'm also not against it, just... better get something decent in return + have a competent successor (Lehner?) lined up via FA or trade.

Like you said, the $1M in real dollars after his signing bonus should be really attractive to some teams. Speaking of which, has his signing bonus been paid out or is that not until October when FA begins?

All bonuses were paid July 1st

Reactions: htpwn

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If Mirtles thing that we are dangling Freddy, Johnsson, Kerfoot and Engvall to other teams, that screams to me we are gearing up for a run at someone.

Whether that is Pietrangelo, or two d-man in the 4-5M range (ala, Brodie and Tanev) who knows.

Definitely leaves the door open... Also just nice to see / hear that Dubas is up for making changes when changes are needed, rather than riding the "we believe in these players" line all fall / winter.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Unless the plan is to start Sandin in the AHL, which could be possible, I’m not sure Dermott will be back next year.

Which sucks. From what I’ve been told, the dude wants to be a Leaf, and a extension would be an easy negotiation (which Dubas hinted at today too). I do think Dermott has potential.

I suppose maybe we could sign two D, and then move Holl in a deal. A Rielly-player1, Muzzin-player2 and Sandin-Dermott set up

People keep forgetting about Lehtonen and I have no idea why. The guy is in the NHL next year 100%. It is just like people who said Mikheyev needed to start in the AHL.

It is more likely:

Rielly-Dermott/UFA/Trade
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen-Liljegren/UFA
Marincin

With the outside chance that Sandin cracks the lineup and Lehtonen plays 3RD.

I effectively do not see Dermott sticking around if he is not being used as a top 4 defenseman in some capacity next year. That does not necessarily mean he is going to be playing 22 minutes a night, but 20 minutes should be the expectation. Perhaps a little bit of 2PP as Barrie's replacement, and an option as a PK defender as well. Then we would expect 17 or 18 minutes a night out of Lehtonen and a bottom pairing guy like Gudas.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People keep forgetting about Lehtonen and I have no idea why. The guy is in the NHL next year 100%. It is just like people who said Mikheyev needed to start in the AHL.

It is more likely:

Rielly-Dermott/UFA/Trade
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen-Liljegren/UFA
Marincin

With the outside chance that Sandin cracks the lineup and Lehtonen plays 3RD.

I effectively do not see Dermott sticking around if he is not being used as a top 4 defenseman in some capacity next year. That does not necessarily mean he is going to be playing 22 minutes a night, but 20 minutes should be the expectation. Perhaps a little bit of 2PP as Barrie's replacement, and an option as a PK defender as well. Then we would expect 17 or 18 minutes a night out of Lehtonen and a bottom pairing guy like Gudas.

Honestly, I simply forgot about Lehtonen lol.

It just furthers my point that Dermott likely is being pushed out.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe if you include ahl shuffling but I'd say it's probably rare for most teams to trade 2 roster players in an offseason unless they're rebuilding

Last year Marleau, Gardner, Brown, Kadri, Hainsey, Ennis, Zaits, and Oz wasn't it? Summer before JVR, Boz, Koma, Martin, Carrick, Pollack, Borgman, Leivo, and McBackup I think So eight seems like a normal Leaf summer. If we only move four or five out it will be a slow year :)

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Andersen isn’t the issue. It was our horrendous defense and defensive play/system.

We’ll regret trading Freddie...

I predict we won’t qualify Rodrigues, but sign him to a sweetheart deal as a UFA. I think he’ll become a fan favourite. Guys got a great motor. Loved watching him play against us.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Honestly, I simply forgot about Lehtonen lol.

It just furthers my point that Dermott likely is being pushed out.

My hopes are not high, seems we don't do well with D FAs overseas recently. Lehkonen might be the best of them but there were some highly touted ones for sure that just plain sucked.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Still a decent way to go get even one d-man in that 4-5m range.
I think it's more of a shotgun approach to get as close to the ~5.5mil threshold weighing as many options with their respective returns and replacements as possible.

This line up
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylaner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Rodrigues-Engvall-Barabanov
Spezza

Rielly-xxx
Muzzin-Dermott
Sandin-Holl
Lehtonen

Andy-Campbell

Has 1.75m to fill xxx (assuming 4m combined for Soup, Dermy, Rodrigues)

Looking at savings
Engvall- max .5m, more likely 250k
Kerfoot- max 2.75m, more likely 1m
Andersen- max 4.25m more likely 2m

So going with a 3m tandem starter, a 1m 4C/W, and a 2.5m 3C and trading 3 of those 4 options gets us just to 5m.
Whereas Johnsson alone is a max 2.65, likely 2.4 (only 600k less than all 3 other moves) because we can backfill the top 9 with internal option then sign a cheaper bottom 6 player

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Mirtle: Kyle Dubas begins Leafs offseason with clean win. And he’s not done yet – The Athletic

I believe Rodrigues can remain in the picture at a lesser salary, assuming that can be negotiated with his agent before the qualifying offer deadline. He could end up filling one of the winger slots, perhaps freeing up someone like Johnsson to be moved in another deal. And Frederik Gauthier may not be back, as they search for more versatility upfront.

But the big hole remaining is on right defence, and the Leafs now have at least some of the cash flow needed to address that.

And they’re about to add some more.

Dubas and the front office have been very busy in the two weeks since they were eliminated by Columbus. According to multiple NHL teams, no fewer than four intriguing Leafs are being dangled to varying degrees:

1. Frederik Andersen. The Leafs starting goaltender can apparently be had for a “useful” but low-cost asset in what would largely be a cap-clearing trade. Andersen could be a really intriguing option for a team without a lot of cash, as he has only $1 million in salary remaining due to a large signing bonus the Leafs have already paid. I wonder if the Oilers might be a fit given they want to overhaul their goaltending situation, although they’d have to find a way to make Andersen’s cap hit work.

2. Alexander Kerfoot. Going back to his Colorado days, there were concerns over his ability to play centre and drive play without being paired with more talented linemates. At $3.5 million, the Leafs needed him to fill the 3C role well and the results were mixed at best there. Kerfoot is only due another $8 million in cash over the final three years of his contract, which could make him easier to deal. Or he could stay as a winger, if the Leafs don’t get offers they like.

3. Pierre Engvall. Even though he only signed his deal in February, his $1.25 million cap hit is outsized for a fourth-line role in a flat-cap NHL. And there remain many questions over whether he can play centre. The Leafs may push to add more of a physical element to their depth forwards, too, and that’s not Engvall, despite his size.

4. Andreas Johnsson. Far lower value on the trade market than Kapanen given his age and higher cap hit, Johnsson would be a sell-low deal given the injury-plagued season he is coming off of. The Leafs still like Johnsson and feel he can rebound, so I doubt they just give him away in a deal unless they absolutely can’t free up the necessary cap space to acquire a D any other way.

If the Leafs somehow wanted to clear all four of those salaries, their $3.5 million in cap space could balloon all the way up to nearly $17 million.
Of course, they’d then have several more holes in their lineup, with a new starting goaltender (or at least a tandem option) and third-line centre becoming pressing needs.

But the notion of the Leafs being “capped out,” or lacking in roster flexibility, simply isn’t accurate. There are some puzzle pieces to shift around, and Dubas added a few more trade chips in the first-rounder and Hallander that could be included in any future deal.

They have plenty of options when it comes to improving, with the right deals and signings over the next six weeks.
why in the 7 hells would i give a flying f*** what a MORON writer thinks

when he can't even get our cap space right?

We have 7.8m in space + another 1.5m when Rosen/marincin get to the AHL

So basiclly 9.2m in space right now

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Freddy + for Crouse? Freddy Anderson I mean. If its the Goat the + would be monstrous.

Hits a ton, low giveaways and 15g in 65 games playing 13:35. Thats off the stat sheets though and I have hardly seen him since Junior. Can he keep up? Does he think or does he rely solely on the physical package?
funny,,,,, the goat got half that in goals with half that TOI

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If St.Louis does resign Pietrangelo, you would have to assume they would atleast have to listen on Parayko. Realistically, they're going to have issues trading salary to fit in Pietrangelo

Reactions: kb

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I actually don't think Sandin is starting with the Leafs next year. Lehtonen is going to be in the starting 6.
It looks like they are going to create cap space to get a pseudo #1 RHD to pair with Reilly.

Reilly - ?
Muzzin - Dermott
Lehtonen - Holl

Given how well Muzzin pulled Holl along, if they are going to move Dermott to the right side, then pairing him with Muzzin would be the best cover and allow the Leafs to increase Dermott's minutes to a top 4 D.

This would shelter Holl on the 3rd pairing with Lehtonen. It also means you can alternate and recreate the shutdown pair of Muzzin-Holl when necessary.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hey guys,

Check out my team :) Flame away...

View media item 7938
fn4kM7Q

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-25%20at%205.55.37%20PM.png
I'm not losing 30 draft slots for Clifford , i keep the 2nd,,let them have the 3rd

Mikey at 1.25m??? Career 8g 23p? awww hell no

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I actually don't think Sandin is starting with the Leafs next year. Lehtonen is going to be in the starting 6.
It looks like they are going to create cap space to get a pseudo #1 RHD to pair with Reilly.

Reilly - ?
Muzzin - Dermott
Lehtonen - Holl

Given how well Muzzin pulled Holl along, if they are going to move Dermott to the right side, then pairing him with Muzzin would be the best cover and allow the Leafs to increase Dermott's minutes to a top 4 D.

This would shelter Holl on the 3rd pairing with Lehtonen. It also means you can alternate and recreate the shutdown pair of Muzzin-Holl when necessary.
You'd have to think they would keep Holl with Muzzin perminently and slot Dermott #3RD. This also means Lilly is at best a 7th

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Last year Marleau, Gardner, Brown, Kadri, Hainsey, Ennis, Zaits, and Oz wasn't it? Summer before JVR, Boz, Koma, Martin, Carrick, Pollack, Borgman, Leivo, and McBackup I think So eight seems like a normal Leaf summer. If we only move four or five out it will be a slow year :)

Well the Leafs are certainly a counter example to that, but you've got the factor of a new GM remolding a team (though I think you've mixed up a few UfA walks and waiver losses in your list of trades)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad