Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part V: Gorton is on McLeod Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The verbiage of what this process is called is pretty irrelevant. The team has confirmed as much when they use the terms interchangeably

I do agree the starting point of the re-whatever is when Stepan was traded though. Not when the letter was sent out

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't care if it's called a rebuild, retool, recharge, reload or whatever word people come up with. It's going to take 3-5 years at least before we are competitive. I am okay with that.

The only people who have a valid argument against a rebuild are the elderly and terminally ill, because they might not live long enough to see the result of this rebuild.

Reactions: pld459666

Deleted member 23124

This is erroneous on all accounts. You may wish that it's a retool but it's not.

And do you want to know the scary part? It just started.
I agree. Unlike other teams that built from the bottom up, the Rangers have spent decades building from the top. It's going to take at least two seasons for Gorton's (and Quinn's somewhat) vision of this team to take hold....it's going to take all of next season to evaluate what we already have and then determine what we need.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't care if it's called a rebuild, retool, recharge, reload or whatever word people come up with. It's going to take 3-5 years at least before we are competitive. I am okay with that.

The only people who have a valid argument against a rebuild are the elderly and terminally ill, because they might not live long enough to see the result of this rebuild.
I think 3 yearw before we start battling for a playoff spot and 5 years before were a legit contender if everything goes perfect.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think 3 yearw before we start battling for a playoff spot and 5 years before were a legit contender if everything goes perfect.

This is accurate. Now the question is will people eventually come to accept this reality? If not this place will be insufferable.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Based on the contracts the team is signing, Vesey for two years and Namestnikov for two years, I’m assuming Gorton has this year and next year to complete compiling assets. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spooner come back for two years at this point.

Moving Staal and Smith with one year left will be easier as well.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The timeline for the rebuild will be very fluid, depending on how our young guys develop.

If you're looking at contracts, this team has a pretty clean slate after two and three years, respectively. Right now, pending Spooner/Hayes/Skjei deals, the Rangers have $31,661,111 in cap hit going into 20-21 down the line with 5 roster players (ZBad, Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith, Hank) plus Girardi buyout, and then $6,461,111 in cap hit the following year with 1 roster player (ZBad) plus Girardi buyout.

Pretty clean contract management.

I'm also incredibly hyped for "The Great HFNYR Neal Pionk Second Contract War" next offseason @silverfish @Machinehead

Reactions: TheTakedown

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lol some people just don't want to accept that this is a rebuild.

Assuming that last year was year 1? I agree.

I do think that by year 4 we can be really good. They have to be willing to be bad this year though. So far it's looked like they will be but I really do wish they would be willing to trade another body or 2 away.

Lundqvist is the biggest wild card though. I don't want this team to hang around a playoff spot solely because of him. If they're doing it because of young guys stepping up thats one thing, but if they're winning strictly because he is stealing games left and right, our greatest gift (that being Hank) is going to turn into a massive curse.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No Slapshots today? Thought Brooks didn’t take a vacation until August. Maybe he has moved it earlier. Last year Brooks delivered the Slapshot column right up to 5 August. Then he was out sick until September.

Maybe being a HHoF gives you another week of vacation?

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe that Gorton want to see where these kids are going before he decide the future and continue the rebuild hence why so few moves in this window so far.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Based on the contracts the team is signing, Vesey for two years and Namestnikov for two years, I’m assuming Gorton has this year and next year to complete compiling assets. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spooner come back for two years at this point.

Moving Staal and Smith with one year left will be easier as well.

Not gonna be upset If Spooner gets two years. He won’t get more than that though

I think Staal waives his no trade at the deadline . Pretty sure it becomes limited next year anyway

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He played very well Spooner - so in that reguard he deserve some more ice time here in MSG. :nod:

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal isn't going anywhere.

He can't play in this league anymore, but he's best suited for a young team as veteran presence.

Thats where we're at right now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Still reading more of this 'contender' nonsense. It's all on a probability curve(Not accounting for unpredictable outcomes like injuries, slumps, ect) , and to use using a typology like

Basement Dweller
OOP
Playoffs, noncontender
Contender

Is painfully oversimplified, and also relies on a theory of epistemology that overestimates what we as sports fans can predict/calculate.

In addition, you can look at a roster and make reasoned predictions about where in the standings it may generally land, but there are major random errors in either direction every year. We're 'unlikely' to make the playoffs this, and perhaps next season. But to refer to it in deterministic fashion is to trivialize the amount of information we simply do not have.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

Hey now, that’s not nice calling the advanced stats community names:sarcasm:

Reactions: Alluckks

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
I can’t wait when all you guys,who support the rebuild, start screaming for Gordon’s head and for Quinn’s firing when the rangers go 0-9 to start the season. You can pretend all you want that you have patience and support the rebuild but losing sucks and fans lose their patience real quick.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I can’t wait when all you guys,who support the rebuild, start screaming for Gordon’s head and for Quinn’s firing when the rangers go 0-9 to start the season. You can pretend all you want that you have patience and support the rebuild but losing sucks and fans lose their patience real quick.

The only ones who will do that are the ones who want them to compete for a playoff spot ASAP.

Reactions: pld459666 and jas

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
The only ones who will do that are the ones who want them to compete for a playoff spot ASAP.

You can say that, but are you really going to be fine when 10 games into the season Hank starts losing it and knocks the net over repeatedly and starts screaming at his defensemen every time a goal goes in? It’s going to be painful to watch...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You can say that, but are you really going to be fine when 10 games into the season Hank starts losing it and knocks the net over repeatedly and starts screaming at his defensemen every time a goal goes in? It’s going to be painful to watch...

Yeah and most of us are prepared and okay with that.

Hank can do what ever he wants, but he signed up for this.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah I'm not gonna delve into the timeline for the "team will be competitive" angle because honestly with how much parity there is in the league and how bunched up the teams are, they could be competitive this season and possibly make the playoffs. The question is when will the team be a legitimate contender again and that's where we're looking at probably around 3 years or so.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Losing is great. I don' have to get nervous for the games and can just sit back and enjoy the kids developing. It's exciting. More losing the better.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I would do the following assuming everything is status quo and nobody surprises in camp how bad or good they look:

1. trade ADA + Gropp right away for maybe a 2nd round pick
2. McLeod and Holland to Hartford, they could use their toughness and scoring respectively
3. trade Spooner for 2nd and 4th round picks to make room for young players.
4. Trade Staal for Bobby Ryan to make space on Defense
5. I think Namestnikov could be a good fit in Washington on a line with Ovechkin, I would try to move him there, (don't think he is a good fit here)
6. extend Zucc for 2 years @ 5.0 to 5.5 mil
7. if we are out of the playoffs by the deadline I would trade Hayes and Vesey for a good return maybe Beleskey if teams are interested, if not then maybe next trade deadline

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

No one said it would be easy.

And if Henrik starts acting like a douche, there are options. (Let us not forget that it was HENRIK who was emphatic about staying here knowing what would probably happen.)

Reactions: pld459666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino