Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part V: Gorton is on McLeod Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would do the following assuming everything is status quo and nobody surprises in camp how bad or good they look:

1. trade ADA + Gropp right away for maybe a 2nd round pick
2. McLeod and Holland to Hartford, they could use their toughness and scoring respectively
3. trade Spooner for 2nd and 4th round picks to make room for young players.
4. Trade Staal for Bobby Ryan to make space on Defense
5. I think Namestnikov could be a good fit in Washington on a line with Ovechkin, I would try to move him there, (don't think he is a good fit here)
6. extend Zucc for 2 years @ 5.0 to 5.5 mil
7. if we are out of the playoffs by the deadline I would trade Hayes and Vesey for a good return maybe Beleskey if teams are interested, if not then maybe next trade deadline

There better be a 1st rounder or prospect coming with Ryan in that trade. And that's assuming Staal waives his NMC.

Deleted member 23124

It's one year for $5.5M. Trouba will get more in salary arbitration next summer. Then Trouba can become a free agent at 26 and sign a 7 year contract with the Red Wings for $56M.
GO WEST, Young Man, GO WEST!!!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's one year for $5.5M. Trouba will get more in salary arbitration next summer. Then Trouba can become a free agent at 26 and sign a 7 year contract with the Red Wings for $56M.

Is there a reason why he would take less to go to Detroit? Is he from Michigan?

I think it will take a lot more to lock up a solid top pairing D men hitting the UFA market in 2020. Will the cap be 90m? Many teams will have cap space...

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

Is there a reason why he would take less to go to Detroit? Is he from Michigan?

I think it’s a lot more to lock up a solid top pairing D men hitting the UFA market in 2020. Will the cap be 90m? Many teams will have cap space...
Only if there's no lockout next year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Call me crazy, but I think bridging Skjei is fine.

Long-term Hayes. Two year deal for Spooner, $3.5M I guess.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I don't care if it's called a rebuild, retool, recharge, reload or whatever word people come up with. It's going to take 3-5 years at least before we are competitive. I am okay with that.

The only people who have a valid argument against a rebuild are the elderly and terminally ill, because they might not live long enough to see the result of this rebuild.
What is your definition of competitive? Because I fully believe we will be in the playoff hunt next year, aka "competing" for a playoff spot until late in the season, and I think we are a playoff in 2 years time.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I can’t wait when all you guys,who support the rebuild, start screaming for Gordon’s head and for Quinn’s firing when the rangers go 0-9 to start the season. You can pretend all you want that you have patience and support the rebuild but losing sucks and fans lose their patience real quick.
If this is any indication of your mindset then I can't wait till you fizzle away from the NYR boards

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What is your definition of competitive? Because I fully believe we will be in the playoff hunt next year, aka "competing" for a playoff spot until late in the season, and I think we are a playoff in 2 years time.

Which team that made the play offs this year is going to finish lower than us? I just don't see it happening next year. And that's okay.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Which team that made the play offs this year is going to finish lower than us? I just don't see it happening next year. And that's okay.
A full year of hockey is a longer ways away than people give it credit for. I like our trajectory and young players, and of course I am optimistic.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Yeah I'm going to repeat this again...

This team was closer to Buffalo in the standings than they were to a wild card spot last year.

Pretty much everyone who finished ahead of us improved or stayed the same.

Somehow we're going to make up 20 points in the standings just by sprinkling some pixie dust on the roster.

Reactions: jas

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
In 2016, the Oilers improved from 7th to 2nd in their division, or 33 points. This was after they dumped Hall for Larsson (lmao).

Their young players got better, as they should, and their top player stayed healthy.
Do we have Connor McDavid? Am I expecting us to be 33 points better? God no.
But hockey is extremely volatile, and things change fast. Don't be surprised if they suck, but don't be surprised if they don't.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
In 2016, the Oilers improved from 7th to 2nd in their division, or 33 points. This was after they dumped Hall for Larsson (lmao).

Their young players got better, as they should, and their top player stayed healthy.
Do we have Connor McDavid? Am I expecting us to be 33 points better? God no.
But hockey is extremely volatile, and things change fast. Don't be surprised if they suck, but don't be surprised if they don't.

Yeah well having McDavid is kind of a big deal...

Reactions: Berserk

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Apologies -- I should have said if there's no strike in 2020. Owners and players have the right to opt out September 2019.

Ah, I didn’t know that. Think that is good news for this franchise, but maybe not for us fans.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Apologies -- I should have said if there's no strike in 2020. Owners and players have the right to opt out September 2019.

There won’t be a strike that is guaranteed. There will be a lockout just a question of when and how long that is also a guarantee under Bettman

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Call me crazy, but I think bridging Skjei is fine.

Long-term Hayes. Two year deal for Spooner, $3.5M I guess.

I see no reason to bridge Skjei. Even if you think he's going to plateau at what he is right now which is a good 2nd pairing dman, the going rate for those guys will probably be in that 4.5 - 5 mil range anyway in a few years in UFA. Why not lock him down long term and utilize the fact that we have cap space for once for the next year or two to get a guy on a long term deal favorably? Now is the time we can finally do what teams like Nashville did and lock down talent long term coming off an ELC as opposed to bridging guys and getting screwed when they're a year or two away from UFA. Unless you think Skjei will regress, I don't see how locking him down long term is bad.

Reactions: TheTakedown

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They had him in 15-16, and went 17-25-3 in the games he played

Yeah still having the best player on the planet is a pretty big deal. Plus there was that Draisaitl guy... He's pretty good too.

Remember our old friend Talbot? He had a Vezina level season.

So yeah, if someone on this team can put up 100 points, have a line mate at basically a PPG and Hank can get back to playing as well as he did in his prime, we may be able to make a quantum leap too.

My guess is that none of those things happen.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With all due respect to pessimists / realists, here’s a prospective of an optimist, however unlikely:

Last year’s team was solidly in the playoffs spot through Christmas 2017 before the injury bug started and then the sell off that finished it.

Cannot underestimate what a return of healthy Shattenkirk and back-to-form Smith would do to the quality of D. McD is a loss but, honestly, he always made you wish for more in the last three years.

As did mostly disappointing last year Nash and Miller. On the opposite end the Rangers fully kept their 1st line that earned that title and only needs to stay healthy to stay on course to get even better.

With parity in the league I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rangers are in the middle of a hunt for a playoff spot well after TD, and possibly, into the end of March.

Deleted member 23124

There won’t be a strike that is guaranteed. There will be a lockout just a question of when and how long that is also a guarantee under Bettman
Again, I apologize for the wrong information....don't know what made me say "strike" -- I did say lockout in my original post.

Reactions: Ola and Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
With all due respect to pessimists / realists, here’s a prospective of an optimist, however unlikely:

Last year’s team was solidly in the playoffs spot through Christmas 2017 before the injury bug started and then the sell off that finished it.

Cannot underestimate what a return of healthy Shattenkirk and back-to-form Smith would do to the quality of D. McD is a loss but, honestly, he always made you wish for more in the last three years.

As did mostly disappointing last year Nash and Miller. On the opposite end the Rangers fully kept their 1st line that earned that title and only needs to stay healthy to stay on course to get even better.

With parity in the league I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rangers are in the middle of a hunt for a playoff spot well after TD, and possibly, into the end of March.

well i'd dispute if that view is optimistic or not...I tend to agree with you that it is very possible that this is the outcome we will see this year, but that's because it is the worst case scenario that i can imagine and i'm pessimistic LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad