Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part V: Gorton is on McLeod Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
When it comes to building this team long term it's the only philosophy to have. No team wins unless they've been really bad.

Las Vegas kinda proved it wrong. Also being bad for many years doesn't guarantee winning. Red Wings won 4 Cups without having to be bad.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Playing the hypothetical game here, but what if Quinn becomes the next Gallant and the Rangers are magically an elite playoff team by the deadline. Chytll leads rookies in points, zibanejad is a ppg player, kreider has 30 goals, hank has a gaa under 2. Do you sacrifice 1st rounder and Anderssson maybe for Karlsson or Panarin , or f*** it get both guys, and they both agree beforehand to extensions? I know this is highly unlikely but curious to hear what you would do in this situation.

Reactions: TheTakedown

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Playing the hypothetical game here, but what if Quinn becomes the next Gallant and the Rangers are magically an elite playoff team by the deadline. Chytll leads rookies in points, zibanejad is a ppg player, kreider has 30 goals, hank has a gaa under 2. Do you sacrifice 1st rounder and Anderssson maybe for Karlsson or Panarin , or **** it get both guys, and they both agree beforehand to extensions? I know this is highly unlikely but curious to hear what you would do in this situation.

No.

Why would they give up that much for a rental?

If they're both on their current teams that late into the season, they're probably going to hit UFA. Much rather take my chances at them there.

PS: They will not be in playoff position come TDL.

Reactions: Berserk

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vegas got to pick players off of other teams rosters. Can we please stop trying to compare next years Rangers to last years Knights?

People need to realize that this team was closer to Buffalo than they were to the WC in the standings.

Red Wings won 3 of those cups with Yzerman at the center of their team. They had to be really bad to get him.

3 of those 4 were also won before the 2004 lockout, so we shouldn't really look at that as an example. They literally bought a HOF roster.

Deleted member 23124

Playing the hypothetical game here, but what if Quinn becomes the next Gallant and the Rangers are magically an elite playoff team by the deadline. Chytll leads rookies in points, zibanejad is a ppg player, kreider has 30 goals, hank has a gaa under 2. Do you sacrifice 1st rounder and Anderssson maybe for Karlsson or Panarin , or **** it get both guys, and they both agree beforehand to extensions? I know this is highly unlikely but curious to hear what you would do in this situation.
If your hypothetical comes to pass, it means the new core and system are starting to mesh....stay the course and ride it out.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
I don't care if it's called a rebuild, retool, recharge, reload or whatever word people come up with. It's going to take 3-5 years at least before we are competitive. I am okay with that.

The only people who have a valid argument against a rebuild are the elderly and terminally ill, because they might not live long enough to see the result of this rebuild.
This is sadly true. I am a life long Met fan and 91 yr old father started with Brooklyn and moved on to the Mets. It is hard to explain to him why trading deGrom for prospects makes sense.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Las Vegas kinda proved it wrong. Also being bad for many years doesn't guarantee winning. Red Wings won 4 Cups without having to be bad.

I wish we could make a sticky to prevent the need for having this conversation over and over again. Vegas didn't win anything. Those Red Wings teams might as well have been playing on Mars given how different the league is today in terms of both play style and cap restrictions.

Yes, it's possible to win without drafted elite talent. Yes, it's possible to lose even with absolute superstar kids. But the highest probability approach, given the constraints of the league currently, is to bottom out, draft and play star players before they get massive pay raises.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

hell no

Deleted member 23124

This is sadly true. I am a life long Met fan and 91 yr old father started with Brooklyn and moved on to the Mets. It is hard to explain to him why trading deGrom for prospects makes sense.
I'd trade the whole staff (and I'm an old Dodger turned Mets fan).

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I can’t wait when all you guys,who support the rebuild, start screaming for Gordon’s head and for Quinn’s firing when the rangers go 0-9 to start the season. You can pretend all you want that you have patience and support the rebuild but losing sucks and fans lose their patience real quick.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

You, might be impatient. You might start calling for Gortons Head after 9 games. But not me.

After 29 years, one thing you build, is patience.

Next years record means nothing to me. My interest will be focused on seeing how our kids play, and how our coaching staff develops them.

Some of us have wanted this for a very long time. It’s foolish to assume we’re going to abandon that desire after 9 games.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You can say that, but are you really going to be fine when 10 games into the season Hank starts losing it and knocks the net over repeatedly and starts screaming at his defensemen every time a goal goes in? It’s going to be painful to watch...

Then do us all a favor and don’t ****ing watch.

And Hank didn’t knock over his net out of frustration with his team. He was injured and was trying to stop play because the zebras were ignoring him.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Will we be taking on some salary dumps or not? to do it now it would have to be a buyout because we don't have the roster spot for a playing salary dump unless somebody like Vesey or Staal is going the other way.

Rangers pretty much got screwed by the large increase in Cap by NHL. Now all teams are pretty much in decent shape.

Deleted member 23124

Will we be taking on some salary dumps or not? to do it now it would have to be a buyout because we don't have the roster spot for a playing salary dump unless somebody like Vesey or Staal is going the other way.

Rangers pretty much got screwed by the large increase in Cap by NHL. Now all teams are pretty much in decent shape.
All the talk about us "taking on salary dumps" seem to coincide with Karlsson trade rumors.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

You, might be impatient. You might start calling for Gortons Head after 9 games. But not me.

Next years record means nothing to me. My interest will be focused on seeing how our kids play, and how our coaching staff develops them.

Some of us have wanted this for a very long time. It’s foolish to assume we’re going to abandon that desire after 9 games.
I don't know WHY people have to keep saying this but your post might be the best way it's been put so far.

Thank you, honestly.

Deleted member 23124

I seriously doubt it'll be us who are complaining.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Based on the contracts the team is signing, Vesey for two years and Namestnikov for two years, I’m assuming Gorton has this year and next year to complete compiling assets. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spooner come back for two years at this point.

Moving Staal and Smith with one year left will be easier as well.

Let those two walk after 2, or trade them.. They aren't long term holds for a winning team

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Basically went right down the middle, even though Trouba deserves more. I’m curious to see how the rest of this situation plays out.

It’s what they usually do. And is the reason why the players ask is high and the teams offer is low.

I’m not sure it’s that far off for him on a one year RFA deal.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->