Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part V: Gorton is on McLeod Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Didn't know he was always on NYR's radar.... Good to know there could be a move to make here. Rangers might finally have some assets. Did Trouba get top pairing minutes last year?

Is the drama with his girlfriend/significant other? Or are there other factors?
I hope we stay as far away as possible. Trouba is slightly overrated, injury prone, will be expense $$ wise on a long term deal and will likely cost too much via trade.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As far as I know, once the arbitrator announces his ruling, the player is signed for 1 year at the AAV determined by the arbitrator, and can't be traded

Winnipeg has less than 48 hours to trade him now

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
As far as I know, once the arbitrator announces his ruling, the player is signed for 1 year at the AAV determined by the arbitrator, and can't be traded

I believe they can trade him after the award but neither the Jets or a team that might acquire hum can sign a new contract before January 1.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
This is why we don't deserve good things. Beg for a generational player and then shrug because he's a goalie. 7th rounder, but meh. Then he gets compared to one of the best goal scorers who was taken 1st overall, which isn't the criteria for good prospect turning super star. That 1st overall just won the cup after 14 years, but he is the benchmark for how far elite talent can take you.

I hope when lundqvist hangs them up people appreciate him. We lost the war of attrition to LA, that's it. Too many hobbled players. Terrible post season schedule, 6 in 9 nights for preferable TV nights.

People think to win a cup you have to fill a specific checklist. Get an elite center top 3, cheap goalie on an ELC, etc. If cheripanov was healthy, we win a cup and elite goalies become a thing for the copycats.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not gonna get into a package discussion, but have numbers been reported from his arbitration? What would it take to keep him for long term, $7.5M?

Yeah, didn’t McKenzie say 8m per?

I think it’s pretty reasonable to expect 7m plus. Trouba got a raw deal the last two years, he wants to get paid. He has UFA within sight. If you put it like this, is Trouba being offered 70% of what the top Ds are makI got if he goes to July 1? Doesn’t seem unlikely.

I agree that his play vs pay is a — huge — concern. But the Cap is going up rapidly. 80 now, could be 85’ and then 90’... In 2-3 years we will have a lot of commitments coming of the books. Almost no great UFAs are reaching July 1. We are not going to be able to use that cap space we will have to acquire players on 4-5m/y contracts. SJ just offered the top guy 13m per. In 2-3 years the top guys will get 13-14m per. When the cap have gone up a lot contracts will go nuts again. We signed Scott Gomez to a 7+m deal eleven years ago.

I am not so sure we would have a big issue with a Trouba contract at that time... but I understand if others do.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

He can be traded. It’s only if you match a RFA offer that you can’t be traded. I had this misunderstanding myself, had to look it up the other day.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This is why we don't deserve good things. Beg for a generational player and then shrug because he's a goalie. 7th rounder, but meh. Then he gets compared to one of the best goal scorers who was taken 1st overall, which isn't the criteria for good prospect turning super star. That 1st overall just won the cup after 14 years, but he is the benchmark for how far elite talent can take you.

I hope when lundqvist hangs them up people appreciate him. We lost the war of attrition to LA, that's it. Too many hobbled players. Terrible post season schedule, 6 in 9 nights for preferable TV nights.

People think to win a cup you have to fill a specific checklist. Get an elite center top 3, cheap goalie on an ELC, etc. If cheripanov was healthy, we win a cup and elite goalies become a thing for the copycats.

If there were a "Really Like" button I would've hit that instead of Like.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Peter Holland would make sense to help Wolfpack make the playoffs, but would not make any sense if he plays for the Rangers this season.

Belesky and Holland are AHL guys now. Fillers in the NHL for a game or two at best

McLeod is AHL caliber too but he punches people so will be 13th/14th F instead of riding the bus

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The rangers didn't fail to win a cup because Henrik was our best player or what not...we failed because we didn't put enough talent around him to win a cup and during his tenure made some of the worst free agent signings in recent memory to be the missing pieces. Anyone remember Drury? Gomez? Redden? Richards? None of those guys were worth a fraction of their contracts the way Henrik earned his.then signing guys like staal and girardi over stralman and yandle.

Henrik lundqvist isn't the reason we don't have a cup. Henrik lundqvist is the reason Glen sather still has a job.

I just want to be clear that I didn't say that the Rangers didn't win the Cup "because of Henrik". They failed to win the Cup because they failed to capitalize on their good fortune finding him so late and arrange the team in such a way that he wasn't their best player.

Even if your goalie was like twice as good as the next best one, he still can't win the game on his own because he is stuck in one end of the rink. All I'm saying.

Reactions: Ola

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The free agent offer sheet doesn’t allow a team to trade the player when the offer sheet is given and before it’s matched or not matched and when they match for one full calendar year. There is one way around that by working out a trade with the team which gave the offer sheet. It’s happened twice in the mid 1990’s. The Blues gave Shayne Corson an offer sheet. They worked out a trade with Edmonton. Sather didn’t match and they traded the draft picks back to the Blues for Cujo and Mike Grier. Philadelphia gave Chris Gratton an offer sheet. Same scenario. Draft picks back to Philadelphia for Renberg and Dykhuis.

The Jets are expected to keep Trouba for this season. They want to win and their team is better with Trouba. They aren’t getting a similar player in a trade. They tried that two years ago. They can look at trading him next summer. Trouba will be arbitration eligible again. Winnipeg could have picked a two year arbitration award but they went for one year. An acquiring team can negotiate a long term contract with Trouba next summer. Winnipeg’s time with Trouba is winding down.

The Rangers should pass on Trouba. I like him. The Rangers are rebuilding. It won’t be cheap to acquire him. It will be very expensive to keep him long term. The Rangers are in a different phase right now. They aren’t trading 3/4 assets for a player. In fact, the Rangers need to do some more selling.

Trouba submitted $7M in arbitration for one year. How much will he want in a long term contract? The cap is going up. $8M? $9M? That’s crazy. 7/8 years. Crazy. Overhardt is a pain in the ass too. Pass.

The Winnipeg GM doesn’t make any trades. The Stastny deal was his first major trade in 2-3 years. It involved a first round pick. No player for player trades ever.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Very confused by this Trouba fetish. Perhaps just the case of a shiny new object in July? We’re finally in a cap friendly position. This is not a player you make that commitment to. Hard pass.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Very confused by this Trouba fetish. Perhaps just the case of a shiny new object in July? We’re finally in a cap friendly position. This is not a player you make that commitment to. Hard pass.

I think it’s just that getting that RHS D that can log minutes and play in all situations, have some size, is more or less impossible to get normally. Adam Larsson fetched Taylor Hall. Seth Jones for RyJo. How good is AL or Jones ‘really’?

I also think it’s troublesome that our forward lines are shaping up but not really the blueline. Ok to contend with young forwards in 3-4 years. But the Ds need a lot more time.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I just want to be clear that I didn't say that the Rangers didn't win the Cup "because of Henrik". They failed to win the Cup because they failed to capitalize on their good fortune finding him so late and arrange the team in such a way that he wasn't their best player.

Even if your goalie was like twice as good as the next best one, he still can't win the game on his own because he is stuck in one end of the rink. All I'm saying.
Fair enough. I just hate ot when it seems like ppl blame Henrik for being our best player..like if he sucked more it would help or something. It's not his fault he's great and everyone else around him is so meh.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think it’s just that getting that RHS D that can log minutes and play in all situations, have some size, is more or less impossible to get normally. Adam Larsson fetched Taylor Hall. Seth Jones for RyJo. How good is AL or Jones ‘really’?

I also think it’s troublesome that our forward lines are shaping up but not really the blueline. Ok to contend with young forwards in 3-4 years. But the Ds need a lot more time.

Larsson sucks but Jones is a stud.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You can play with no forward over 6’1. Tampa didn’t have a single 6’2 forward.

But defense is different. We have so many of these guys who look great, but so many are small except the LDs Skjei, Miller and Hajak. Lindgren. Lundkvist, TDA, Pionk, Keane and co are all small. Shatty is small.

It should hurt to go to the net. All RDs must not be bigger, but we should have at least one.

Trouba would fit well on a pair taking the toughest minutes. Agile and can move the puck. Perfect age, he will hit his prime while the kids break in, can support them.

But sure, I get the arguments against getting him too.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Did anyone get a chance to the the photo of shattys wedding on Instagram? There is a photo of him with some ranger players and I noticed Smith and Hayes lost a decent amount of weight.
Smith looked in significantly better shape. Hayes looked similar to last season

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Don't get hung up on the numbers submitted for arbitration. The sides do the high and low to push the middle which ever way for the mediator.

That being said, these are trouba's rfa years and he is looking for a pretty high aav overall.

Reactions: kovazub94

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
do the north american and european players not talk to each other? 2 weddings one with all the NA guys the other with all the euro guys lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't get hung up on the numbers submitted for arbitration. The sides do the high and low to push the middle which ever way for the mediator.

People always forget this. Does anyone really think that $6m for Trouba on a one-year deal would be too much? Because that’s what he’s aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad