Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part V: Gorton is on McLeod Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A 'no rookies' roster looks something like this...

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Namestnikov-Fast
Beleskey-Holland-McLeod

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-DeAngelo
Smith-Kampfer
Claesson

Obviously that isn't what we expect to see, but no spots are a given for rookies if performances in camp are uninspiring.

My guess is that 2-3 guys of Andersson, Chytil, Pionk, Lettieri and Meskanen join the above group. Holland I expect to be in the AHL helping out some guys.

With D in Hartford potentially comprised of

Bigras, Crawley, Hajek, Day, Lindgren, Pedrie, Gilmour, O'Gara. That's a lot of left defensemen, so it's far to guess plenty of LHD will be getting some RD experience.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Beleskey has been awful two years in a row. That's a long time to be awful. The last game against the Flyers he played physical and was involved but he also look pretty slow. If he and McLeod get regular ice time our 4th line is going to really suck.

I'd take Nieves over Holland. Just saying. Better skater--more involved player.

As for Brendan Smith he's got to prove he can still play. If he's like he was last year he'll belong in the minors.

Pionk looks like a top 4 to me with the team as it is now. Shattenkirk and Skjei and probably Staal will be the other 3.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Quinn is a slick and aware guy, don’t think he wants to get a rep for not playing kids from the get go...

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Namestnikov-Fast
Beleskey-Holland-McLeod

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-DeAngelo
Smith-Kampfer
Claesson

Obviously that isn't what we expect to see, but no spots are a given for rookies if performances in camp are uninspiring.

My guess is that 2-3 guys of Andersson, Chytil, Pionk, Lettieri and Meskanen join the above group. Holland I expect to be in the AHL helping out some guys.

Bigras, Crawley, Hajek, Day, Lindgren, Pedrie, Gilmour, O'Gara. That's a lot of left defensemen, so it's far to guess plenty of LHD will be getting some RD experience.

That starting roster could be roughly 6 mil under the cap max - seems like we'd spend something somewhere. Even like a 1 year contract to Joel Ward.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think Quinn is a slick and aware guy, don’t think he wants to get a rep for not playing kids from the get go...
What does that even mean?

If Chytil and Andersson start in the AHL does that mean he a "gets a rep" from you?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What does that even mean?

If Chytil and Andersson start in the AHL does that mean he a "gets a rep" from you?

Haha, no not from me. But I don’t think the crowd around this team is shy to pull the trigger. You don’t think it would be a story? ’Oh we are rebuilding, but not playing any kids?’

I definitely prefer the head strong coach who don’t care a ton about media and navigate the ship his way, the other type always ends up in real disasters... I’ve seen that sooo many times and it’s just such a waste.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The first test for Quinn is to — not — start a kid in the NHL and in a bigger role, have him disappoint everyone, before he is demoted about 10 games in. It’s just the worst way to threat a kid.

That type of wishful thinking/media pleasing moves have been the downfall for many organizations. If Quinn goes that route it’s not a good sign at all frankly.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, keeping a kid around a bit after camp and letting him dip his feet into the NHL, before a demotion, doesn’t qualify. But to do like what EDM did to Puljujärvi does.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This or Quinn is a bust:

Kreider-Lias-Zib
Hayes-Chytil-Fast
Zucc-Howden-Buch
Names-Spooner-Lettieri
Hajak-TDA
Skjei-Pionk
Gilmour-Shatty

Thoughts? ;)

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Haha, no not from me. But I don’t think the crowd around this team is shy to pull the trigger. You don’t think it would be a story? ’Oh we are rebuilding, but not playing any kids?’

I definitely prefer the head strong coach who don’t care a ton about media and navigate the ship his way, the other type always ends up in real disasters... I’ve seen that sooo many times and it’s just such a waste.
I still don't understand.

They would be playing 15-20 minutes a night in the AHL

They would be playing, either in the NHL or in the AHL

It isn't like he would have them called up to the NHL roster and then bench them for 2 weeks

Since when does rebuilding mean playing a bunch of 19 year olds? What a narrow and uninformed view

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The first test for Quinn is to — not — start a kid in the NHL and in a bigger role, have him disappoint everyone, before he is demoted about 10 games in. It’s just the worst way to threat a kid.

That type of wishful thinking/media pleasing moves have been the downfall for many organizations. If Quinn goes that route it’s not a good sign at all frankly.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding, keeping a kid around a bit after camp and letting him dip his feet into the NHL, before a demotion, doesn’t qualify. But to do like what EDM did to Puljujärvi does.
For the love of God, stop passing judgment on hypotheticals you just make up in your head. And even if every piece of that random hypothetical did happen you are talking about your opinion of it as if it is absolute.

You're going out of your way by 10 miles here for I have no clue what reason

Reactions: TheTakedown

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello
Vesey-Namestnikov-Fast
Beleskey-Holland-McLeod

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-DeAngelo
Smith-Kampfer
Claesson

Crawley didn’t separate himself at all last season. Should start in Hartford with the presumption that he has to show something. Same goes for Pedrie. Gilmour and OGara look like ceiling third pair defenders. The real competition is for top-4 LD, between Skjei, Lindgren, Hajek, Bigras, Rykov and Day.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
For the love of God, stop passing judgment on hypotheticals you just make up in your head. And even if every piece of that random hypothetical did happen you are talking about your opinion of it as if it is absolute.

You're going out of your way by 10 miles here for I have no clue what reason
I still don't understand.

They would be playing 15-20 minutes a night in the AHL

They would be playing, either in the NHL or in the AHL

It isn't like he would have them called up to the NHL roster and then bench them for 2 weeks

Since when does rebuilding mean playing a bunch of 19 year olds? What a narrow and uninformed view

Lol are you drunk?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Crawley didn’t separate himself at all last season. Should start in Hartford with the presumption that he has to show something. Same goes for Pedrie. Gilmour and OGara look like ceiling third pair defenders. The real competition is for top-4 LD, between Skjei, Lindgren, Hajek, Bigras, Rykov and Day.

Lindgren could possibly push Staal to third pair. That would push both Gilmour and OGara out of the top-6. Rykov will start in KHL, Day and Bigras should start in Hartford but might get call-ups as the season progresses. If Lindgren can stick, maybe Gorton moves Staal. This is all dependent of course on us re-signing Skjei.

Skjei/Shattenkirk
Lindgren/Pionk
Claesson/ADA

Battle for 7D between Gilmour, OGara and Hajek

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I just really don't get what you are getting at

Me neither... ;)

But I don’t get what potentially was that controversial.

My point was, a lot of kids are in contention for a spot. Quinn will have a decision between a kid and a vet at many positions. In one of those instances, I think he would pick a kid just to get one on the roster and avoid the outcry if we went into a rebuilding year with all vets.

I personally have zero problems with not playing a kid, if anything I definitely rather err on the side of caution.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can't we have a decent prospect become generational overnight like Aaron Judge?

Just once, that would be nice.

Joey Keane, the next Erik Karlsson!? Ty Ronning scores 60 goals in the NHL!? Pajunniemi the next Selanne!?

I know the feeling, we are due one.

Reactions: Machinehead

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Me neither... ;)

But I don’t get what potentially was that controversial.

My point was, a lot of kids are in contention for a spot. Quinn will have a decision between a kid and a vet at many positions. In one of those instances, I think he would pick a kid just to get one on the roster and avoid the outcry if we went into a rebuilding year with all vets.

I personally have zero problems with not playing a kid, if anything I definitely rather err on the side of caution.
You seemed to be forming opinions ahead of time on coaching decisions he may never actually make

Like saying, if he does ____ then he is an idiot

It's like, he may not ever even do that, and even if he were to there is so much more context than we can begin to speculate right now. It's just rash to try and play that hypothetical game, and just kinda... weird? I don't know, just didn't strike me right at all.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A generational goalie just isn't that important.

There's a reason just about every other top talent from this generation has a Cup and he doesn't.

It's an analytical oversimplification in my view.

Replace Lundqvist with Ovechkin from 2005-2018 on the Rangers, and I'm not certain we have a cup. In fact, we may miss the playoffs a few more times as well.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's an analytical oversimplification in my view.

Replace Lundqvist with Ovechkin from 2005-2018 on the Rangers, and I'm not certain we have a cup. In fact, we may miss the playoffs a few more times as well.

Put Ovechkin on the 14-15 Rangers with Talbot in net and you don't think we win the Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad