GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Move Sutter 50% retained and trade Virtanen. After burying Baertschi that leaves us with a little over 5M to sign Gaudette and a forward.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
The problem with Demko is that he turns 25 this year so a 2yr extension brings him right into UFA. I think they absolutely have to wait to see how he does this year first because if he struggles or even is just "okay" like he was last year then he will probably get a 1yr deal for backup $$.

As for EP/Hughes, I'm sure the Canucks would sign those deals today if they could for that money. They will be more expensive than that.
Looks like some lines in the sand have been drawn. Rangers ink Georgiev for 2 years at $2.45 per (decent Demko comp) and Deangelo for 2 years at $4.8 (McAvoy signed a 3 year deal last offseason for $4.9), both of those deals are semi decent comps for Hughes, as will Sergachev's when he puts pen to paper. Hard to imagine that Pettersson would view himself on a different level than Point (who didn't give up any UFA years on his 3 year bridge deal), or Tkachuk at $7mm. I would be surprised if they didn't leap at those deals with all the uncertainty regarding the cap over the next several years and the fact neither are arb eligible (Hughes has no leverage as a 10.2 RFA. I suppose it's possible that neither wants to do a bridge deal, but that would surprise me.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Here's a crazy idea: If the money tap is still open, the Canucks can create room by waiving the deadwood earning above $1,075,000 and replacing them with minimum wage players. In the extreme case, they bury Eriksson, Beagle, Baertschi, Sutter, Roussel, and Benn; sign 6 guys at minimum wage; and gain $2,250,000 million cap space.

Those guys are NHL Plugs not AHL Plugs
Still better than Megna, Chaput, Lain, Spooner, Schaller and little puke we got from LA whom I forgot but he sucked and I hate the fact he cost us a 2nd when SCHMIDT COST US A THIRD OMG YOU GUYS WE GOT SCHMIDT FOR A THIRD!!!!!!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looks like some lines in the sand have been drawn. Rangers ink Georgiev for 2 years at $2.45 per (decent Demko comp) and Deangelo for 2 years at $4.8 (McAvoy signed a 3 year deal last offseason for $4.9), both of those deals are semi decent comps for Hughes, as will Sergachev's when he puts pen to paper. Hard to imagine that Pettersson would view himself on a different level than Point (who didn't give up any UFA years on his 3 year bridge deal), or Tkachuk at $7mm. I would be surprised if they didn't leap at those deals with all the uncertainty regarding the cap over the next several years and the fact neither are arb eligible (Hughes has no leverage as a 10.2 RFA. I suppose it's possible that neither wants to do a bridge deal, but that would surprise me.

Demko's contract will just really come down to how he plays this year. He's not signing anything right now anyway.

The EP/Hughes contracts will be interesting for sure in terms of structure. But here's the thing - Schmidt & Myers are both making 6 million a year, and there's no doubt who the #1 guy is on defense. Hughes taking less than or the same as either of them isn't happening.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006
Demko's contract will just really come down to how he plays this year. He's not signing anything right now anyway.

The EP/Hughes contracts will be interesting for sure in terms of structure. But here's the thing - Schmidt & Myers are both making 6 million a year, and there's no doubt who the #1 guy is on defense. Hughes taking less than or the same as either of them isn't happening.

i suggested offering Hughes and Pettersson both $6.75mm per on three year deals. That would put Hughes as the highest paid defenseman.

Life is uncertain, offering Demko $3ish mm for 2/3 years provides some certainty (for both sides) and still gives him a chance to potentially cash in big time at the right age. I'd be stunned if he wasn't interested in signing now; it wouldn't be stunning if the team wanted to see more (his regular season was far from stellar) though.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I would wait on QH’s contract. We’ve only seen 1 year. And the sophomore year can be tough.

I would absolutely be trying to resign EP though. Watching him in the playoffs, there is a real danger he could break 90+ points. That could easily put him in the 10+ category. Offer him the Aho contract and see if he bites. It does walk him to free agency but at least it does so with no trade protection (unlike the Matthews contract that has a full nmc in the final year... the leafs could lose him with no way of trading him... totally bizarre the leafs went that route imo)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
i suggested offering Hughes and Pettersson both $6.75mm per on three year deals. That would put Hughes as the highest paid defenseman.

Life is uncertain, offering Demko $3ish mm for 2/3 years provides some certainty (for both sides) and still gives him a chance to potentially cash in big time at the right age. I'd be stunned if he wasn't interested in signing now; it wouldn't be stunning if the team wanted to see more (his regular season was far from stellar) though.

That's fair on Hughes. I don't think EP goes that low, though.

The team isn't going to offer Demko a 2yr extension that walks him right to UFA. I just think Demko will bet on himself. If he's the starter and outplays Holtby this year then he's setup really well to cash in next summer, and I think it makes sense for both sides to wait until then.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006
I would wait on QH’s contract. We’ve only seen 1 year. And the sophomore year can be tough.

I would absolutely be trying to resign EP though. Watching him in the playoffs, there is a real danger he could break 90+ points. That could easily put him in the 10+ category. Offer him the Aho contract and see if he bites. It does walk him to free agency but at least it does so with no trade protection (unlike the Matthews contract that has a full nmc in the final year... the leafs could lose him with no way of trading him... totally bizarre the leafs went that route imo)
3 then 8 for both of them. takes them to their early 30s instead of 35+

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
What's the deal with Laine and Jets? Latter not planning to have Laine as part of their future anymore?

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Don't see the rush to re-sign Pettersson, Hughes or Demko. See what you have first. I know, I know ~ we have a pretty good idea already. I'd definitely try and get a deal done before they become free agents though. (I guess an argument could be made for showing your commitment to them sooner as opposed to later, or if it could be a distraction during the season)

I'd skip the bridge contract if possible (except maybe for Demko). Just don't see the incentive. Isn't it better to just lock the guys up? Cap will probably (hopefully?) start rising again at some point, so why not just get a deal done early. There are many stars, even ones who seemed overpaid at the time, whose contracts aged quite well

Long story short, if you're going to risk overpaying someone, best it be your stars

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I’d be wary of bringing him and his baggage here, at any rate.
There are a few players I feel that way about, like Anthony DeAngelo, and Steve Downie in his day. Then I tend to temper that feeling with the assumption that most 28-year old super rich jocks are probably assholes, and the bigger the asshole often the more capable they might be of the kind of mindless effort and enthusiasm in pursuit of glory that often pushes athletes (and other athletes around them) to perform their best. Anyone with as much rage and entitlement as Anthony DeAngelo probably really loves winning hockey games. Of course, I get that dressing room dynamics are way more complicated than that. And Hoffman's behaviour was more bizarre than typical of a young jock.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I’d prefer Granlund. Cheaper and just as good 5/5. Hoffman would be huge for a team like CBJ who couldn’t buy a powerplay goal to save their lives. I think Granlund would be Tanner Pearson all over again where he'd rebound to the Norm considering he's 28. Doubt he gets the PP time to hit 60 points but he'd be a good bet to be 50+ point two-way winger.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Anyone betting against Pettersson taking another step next year is out of their minds. He has done nothing but prove everyone wrong since he was drafted. Sign him now before he costs more next summer.

Haha point taken!

Stand by my statement that bridging him is silly though. Any short term savings are negated by that big 2nd contract :)

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Move Sutter 50% retained and trade Virtanen. After burying Baertschi that leaves us with a little over 5M to sign Gaudette and a forward.

You need to replace Sutter as well and sign another D since there are 6 D signed right now. With the signing another forward and Gaudette. That will bring the roster to 23 players. 14 F 7 D 2 G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad