GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure if intentional, but that roster is one man short of 23
The first roster is as it shows what benning has said is the plan so far. It’s essentially 22 players with 1 spot for another d. This shows we barely have half 0f the league minimum in cap space if gaudette and virtanen cost 4M combined. 4M IMO is a fair amount both could take up. I called the motte signing being between 1.1-1.25 and MacEwen being 800k. I expect Jake to get 2.5-2.75M and gaudette about 1.6-1.75M. So these prices for gaudette and virtanen are below what I think they end up getting.

either management has to make a trade, or ferland has to be done otherwise we can’t even carry 23 players while burying Eriksson and baertschi

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
after dadanov's deal i can see perhaps guys like hoffman and granlund are sitting on decent offers from bad teams while hoping more attractive destinations will unfold.
Definitely seems like they may be contemplating the term to a bad team or a one year like a Hall to a potential up and coming team.

Hoffman seems taylor-made for Nashville.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
meanwhile, marcus granlund is scoring at a 1.5 ppg rate in the khl playing over 20 minutes a game on a team i've never heard of in a city i've never heard of in a republic i've never heard of.

Hahaha you weren't kidding what the blazing hell is a "Bashkortostan"

Edit - Btw where are you getting TOI metrics for the KHL?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
meanwhile, marcus granlund is scoring at a 1.5 ppg rate in the khl playing over 20 minutes a game on a team i've never heard of in a city i've never heard of in a republic i've never heard of.
ahead of ryan spooner, nicklas jensen, and jordan schroeder in the top 30 in KHL ppg.

edit* the khl top 150 has tons of Canucks flavour.

Reid Boucher, Brendan Leipsic, Linden Vey, Sergei Shirokov, Philip Larsen, Nikolai Goldobin,

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I know I should logically be good with signing Granlund but the memories of the other Granlund and his slow lazy useless play are still too vivid.

Legitimately getting PTSD from those unnamable seasons being constantly told that "M**k*s *ran*u*d is a tw*nty *oa* ****er"

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hahaha you weren't kidding what the blazing hell is a "Bashkortostan"

Edit - Btw where are you getting TOI metrics for the KHL?
Found a photo of Bashkortostan online:
upload_2020-10-15_12-41-35.jpeg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Legitimately getting PTSD from those unnamable seasons being constantly told that "M**k*s *ran*u*d is a tw*nty *oa* ****er"

There a few things this fanbase has done in my time is a fan that I simply can't explain.

One was the Ballard/Rome thing. Normally, when a high-priced acquisition flops, fans hate the guy (see Eriksson, Beagle, Marc Chouinard, Felix Potvin, whoever). And they love the plucky underdog who outplays him to steal his job. But for some reason the whole fanbase was behind the overpaid American flop and did nothing but make fun of the hard-working Western Canadian kid who was outplaying him significantly to take his job. Bizarre. It was like if the fans adored Felix Potvin and hated when the team played Bob Essensa.

Another was this fanbase's treatment of Markus Granlund. This was the smallest, slowest, laziest player I've ever seen wear a Canuck uniform. And outside of that one stretch with the Sedins, didn't really produce anything offensively either. This is the sort of soft sack of crap that the blue-collar casual crowd normally runs right out of town ... but somehow coaches and fans both thought he was somehow terrific. 20 goalz! I'll never understand it, other than that possibly people were more deeply entrenched in defending Benning/Linden than they were in criticizing a crap player their regime acquired.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Roster right now:

Miller Pettersson Virtanen
Pearson Horvat Boeser
Roussel Gaudette Ferland
Motte Beagle Sutter
MacEwen

Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
Juolevi Benn
Chatfield

Demko
Holtby

(Baerstchi/Eriksson buried)

I would look to sign our RFAs at:
Virtanen signed 2 yrs at 2.5M
Gaudette signed 2 yrs at 1.5M
Chatfield signed 2 yrs 700k

Leaves 373k in cap space if this is managements plan based on saying Juolevi/Chatfield/MacEwen are going to be in the NHL.

I'd look to sign a depth RHD for 1 yr under 1M. Pretty much anyone would be better than Chatfield. From there if Ferly is indeed done, we can look at adding a solid #5 who has 1 yr left at just under 3.5M and give his spot to Eriksson/Baertschi.

Our forward group doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. If we get a Leivo then for cheap that would be awesome!

The defense group on the other hand does not look too convincing. After Chatfield we have Sautner, Brisebois and Rafferty. Maybe this is the right year to go full out on the rookies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I don’t know too much about koekkoek but at a quick glance he’s younger, can play right/left side, and his stats are a bit better too. Personally I am just not a fantenberg fan so that skews my opinion.
I have being looking him up he fits what the Canucks are looking for someone to play the penalty kill and play on the 3rd pairing and can play both sides. Him and Matta were the Blackhawks best pairing in the postseason. For the price he is the best available defenseman.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder if we'll see a bunch of half decent players taking PTO's this year instead of the usual bunch of veterans trying to give it one more go?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I wonder if we'll see a bunch of half decent players taking PTO's this year instead of the usual bunch of veterans trying to give it one more go?
The composition of the league will be almost exactly the same -- with a few exceptions, all the best players in the world will be in it. It's just a question of how much they are paid and for how long. There will definitely be more PTOs.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Current cap space 2M. Burying Baertschi in minors gives us 3M in cap space. 4M combined estimate for Gaudette and Virtanen and the Canucks are a million over and still only have 22/23 spots filled. Sutter buyout or trade is necessary, unless Ferland retires or goes on LTIR (not sure how that works tbh).

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
ahead of ryan spooner, nicklas jensen, and jordan schroeder in the top 30 in KHL ppg.

edit* the khl top 150 has tons of Canucks flavour.

Reid Boucher, Brendan Leipsic, Linden Vey, Sergei Shirokov, Philip Larsen, Nikolai Goldobin,
A shocking number of our players, upon finishing their time in Vancouver, have immediately found themselves out of the league. What a team we have had. Glad they are representing in the Motherland.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Our forward group doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. If we get a Leivo then for cheap that would be awesome!

The defense group on the other hand does not look too convincing. After Chatfield we have Sautner, Brisebois and Rafferty. Maybe this is the right year to go full out on the rookies.

The forward group will basically be the same as last year pre-Toffoli.

Defense will probably be close to the same as last year. Schmidt > Tanev, but probable downgrade on Stecher.

Major downgrade in goal, obviously.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

The defense group on the other hand does not look too convincing.

If we resign Leivo, forwards are the same as last year (Toffoli only played 10 games with us and we may see more of Ferland).

The defence in terms of quality is similar with Schmidt replacing Tanev (top 4 slightly better with the addition of Nate), but the loss of Stecher (& possibly Fanta) will have to be filled by Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone etc. Rookie’s may underwhelm or pleasantly surprise, quality of depth on D is unknown.

Goaltending went from Elite to good with Holtby/Demko running the show now.

Team is similar to last year on paper with a slight regression. Injuries will be a factor, but if the Canucks stay relatively healthy and get good goaltending they should be able to squeeze into the playoffs.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The forward group will basically be the same as last year pre-Toffoli.

Defense will probably be close to the same as last year. Schmidt > Tanev, but probable downgrade on Stecher.

Major downgrade in goal, obviously.
Is it really a major downgrade in goal? Lots of folks seemed to think Demko = Marky following the playoffs (not me). And we should have ourselves a damn good 1B when Clark is done with Holtby. Certainly less certainty but probably not a “major” downgrade

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If we resign Leivo, forwards are the same as last year (Toffoli only played 10 games with us and we may see more of Ferland).

The defence in terms of quality is similar with Schmidt replacing Tanev (top 4 slightly better with the addition of Nate), but the loss of Stecher (& possibly Fanta) will have to be filled by Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone etc. Rookie’s may underwhelm or pleasantly surprise, quality of depth on D is unknown.

Goaltending went from Elite to good with Holtby/Demko running the show now.

Team is similar to last year on paper with a slight regression. Injuries will be a factor, but if the Canucks stay relatively healthy and get good goaltending they should be able to squeeze into the playoffs.
The fact our young core should improve is always ignored for some reason

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is it really a major downgrade in goal? Lots of folks seemed to think Demko = Marky following the playoffs (not me). And we should have ourselves a damn good 1B when Clark is done with Holtby. Certainly less certainty but probably not a “major” downgrade

Markstrom was an elite, top-5 goalie in the league last year. I think it will be very hard for the Canucks to to get that level of goaltending again this season.

Even if Markstrom stuck around it would have been hard for him to get to that level himself, much less trying to get there with a guy who has struggled recently.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Florida Panthers, Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers, etc... plenty of evidence showing that you should not expect young players to automatically just improve.
We have more depth than those teams had. I think Hughes, Elias and Bo will continue to improve. Boeser had a pretty rough year so can’t imagine he won’t improve barring injury. I could see Miller regressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad