GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I was lurking the Bruins board to see if they were still in on OEL and if they were pissed about missing out on Schmidt and came across this post that made me laugh and then cry:

Whats shaping up to be their forth line is getting paid waaaaaay to much IMO:
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner
1.498- 1.275- 1.35

Must be nice lol

Last edited:

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Koekkoek and Kahun would be great lowkey gets, would love to see them signed. I know we've been linked to Koekkoek but has anyone heard about Canucks interest in Kahun? Only thing I've heard about him is Harman recommending that the Canucks get him signed, but no clear cut reports that they're in on him.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Koekkoek and Kahun would be great lowkey gets, would love to see them signed. I know we've been linked to Koekkoek but has anyone heard about Canucks interest in Kahun? Only thing I've heard about him is Harman recommending that the Canucks get him signed, but no clear cut reports that they're in on him.
unless we dump like six million, re-signing gaudette and Virtanen destroys our cap.

i don't think we would be under if Ferland wasn't on ltir on day one so i think they have to find a way to cut salary.

Pearson should be dealt if they can't dump their short term guys

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
unless we dump like six million, re-signing gaudette and Virtanen destroys our cap.

i don't think we would be under if Ferland wasn't on ltir on day one so i think they have to find a way to cut salary.

Pearson should be dealt if they can't dump their short term guys
I’d get rid of all 3 of Sutter, Virtanen, Pearson.

Buyout Sutter (assuming no other team wants him) and trade the other 2 for picks/prospects. We would then have a lot of flexibility to sign a couple free agents.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Buyout Sutter (assuming no other team wants him) and trade the other 2 for picks/prospects. We would then have a lot of flexibility to sign a couple free agents.
Buying out Sutter is an option for sure, but it depends on the free agents interested in joining the team. Sutter at least is an NHL centre, and the team needs to go into the season with 5 NHL quality centres.

I'm torn...I think the team needs to look at some minimum salary players to compete for spots, but I also think the team needs to consider what might be available on waivers this season. Standing pat may be a solid plan.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
We will know more after Virtanen's arbitration hearing. If, for instance, he's awarded 2.75M and there is no attempt to buy out Sutter or trade Jake shortly after, we have to assume that Ferland will start the season on LTIR. It's really the only 2 moves that can guarantee we move out salary under present circumstances.

That said, even with Ferland on LTIR, it's going to be a tricky situation with the cap during the season as we might not be able to shuffle salary to the AHL for flexibility given there might not be an AHL season to speak of.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
im on board for signing mikeal granlund. only 28 can play C/RW.

it would continue with trend of having the better brother. Petey and Tanev broke a long line of the shittier brother streak we were on

Federov, Kariya, Granlund, BILLY SWEATT

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We will know more after Virtanen's arbitration hearing. If, for instance, he's awarded 2.75M and there is no attempt to buy out Sutter or trade Jake shortly after, we have to assume that Ferland will start the season on LTIR. It's really the only 2 moves that can guarantee we move out salary under present circumstances.

That said, even with Ferland on LTIR, it's going to be a tricky situation with the cap during the season as we might not be able to shuffle salary to the AHL for flexibility given there might not be an AHL season to speak of.
Ferland, it's too early to know what his status is going to be. Been 2 months since he last played and got put on basically IR. He keeps passing the protocols, so you can't assume he'll start on IR.

Sutter, he had a $1 mill SB, so that will keep his cap savings from a buyout from being better than it ideally should.

Sven hasn't joined a Euro league, so that means he's coming back, most likely in the A.

member 328930

Buyout period is over. 1040 saying that the only way they get another buyout is if they have an arbitration settlement...not if they settle before arbitration....but if they go to arbitration.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Buyout period is over. 1040 saying that the only way they get another buyout is if they have an arbitration settlement...not if they settle before arbitration....but if they go to arbitration.

That is correct. But they could go through arbitration with Virtanen then buyout Sutter. That's probably not going to happen, but it's technically possible.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

in that case they are obviously not going to sign a contract with virtanen that puts them in a buyout situation. they will go to arbitration so they have options. the question is whether they have a trade ready to go depending on where jake ends up on salary.

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Here is the language from the Standard Player Contract regarding when a player can be bought out within the second window:

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m. New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this provision).

An "award" is an arbitrator's decision. A "settlement" is an agreement reached by the parties prior to the scheduled hearing.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Ferland, it's too early to know what his status is going to be. Been 2 months since he last played and got put on basically IR. He keeps passing the protocols, so you can't assume he'll start on IR.

Sutter, he had a $1 mill SB, so that will keep his cap savings from a buyout from being better than it ideally should.

Sven hasn't joined a Euro league, so that means he's coming back, most likely in the A.

I would assume that Benning and co. have been in contact with Ferland and whether he starts the season on LTIR or not will have less to do with his health and more to do with his willingness to *nudge, wink * 'take one for the team'. This would come with some sort of tacit understanding that cap shuffles would be in place to give him a shot at returning later on in the year should he choose to do so.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would assume that Benning and co. have been in contact with Ferland and whether he starts the season on LTIR or not will have less to do with his health and more to do with his willingness to *nudge, wink * 'take one for the team'. This would come with some sort of tacit understanding that cap shuffles would be in place to give him a shot at returning later on in the year should he choose to do so.
This seems hopeful to say the least. I think it’s more likely Benning would prefer to have Ferland on his opening night roster.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
This seems hopeful to say the least. I think it’s more likely Benning would prefer to have Ferland on his opening night roster.

Hopeful how? Is your opinion of management so low that you don't think they possess the capacity to bend the rules to become cap compliant? Or hopeful that Ferland would consent to it for fear that he'd forfeit his chance to return to the lineup next year?

The first is unreasonable and the second perhaps less so.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hopeful how? Is your opinion of management so low that you don't think they possess the capacity to bend the rules to become cap compliant? Or hopeful that Ferland would consent to it for fear that he'd forfeit his chance to return to the lineup next year?

The first is unreasonable and the second perhaps less so.

Jim Benning thinks Ferland is a top-6 forward and definitely wants him in the roster. Thats what he signed him to do and he never changes his opinion despite mounds of evidence against his point.

Reactions: rypper

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Jim Benning thinks Ferland is a top-6 forward and definitely wants him in the roster. Thats what he signed him to do and he never changes his opinion despite mounds of evidence against his point.
He may well believe it, but cap compliance is an immutable fact. Plus, putting Ferland on LTIR to begin the season does not fully close the door on the fantasy scenario wherein Ferland turns back to the clock to 2015.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

maybe, but that is pretty optimistic that ferland would signal a willingness to have that discussion. every indication on past performance and public statements is that ferland still wants to play. my take is that if ferland passes a physical and can get a doctor to clear him and the canucks doctors can't see a clear medical reason to block him, he will be at camp. if he makes it through camp healthy he will be on the roster.

Reactions: m9

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
At this point I think we’re all just hoping Ferland’s next injury isn’t due to direct head contact that results in a severe concussion.

He better not get into any fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille