GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Does he really add much value to a team anymore? Especially in what’s likely to be a limited role in Toronto?
I dont think it hurts that team to have a different leader on that team, and Thornton is a respected player..Tavares and Matthews dont really strike me as ultimate captain material, as good as they are....The Leafs have lots of elite talent, I dont think that an extra plug on the 4th line will make or break them..

Its kind of like when Mats Sundin, joined the Canucks..his play didnt even come close to justifying his salary, but there was a quantifiable difference in the team.

Again, league minimum..I'd say the pro's, outweigh the cons..

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I dont think it hurts that team to have a different leader on that team, and Thornton is a respected player..Tavares and Matthews dont really strike me as ultimate captain material, as good as they are....The Leafs have lots of elite talent, I dont think that an extra plug on the 4th line will make or break them..

Its kind of like when Mats Sundin, joined the Canucks..his play didnt even come close to justifying his salary, but there was a quantifiable difference in the team.

sundin to vancouver has always been one that made no sense whatever to me and still does not. i was just glad it didn't turn out as bad as messier.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
They actually got great mileage out of Jason Spezza doing this exact thing last year.

You don’t have to contribute a lot to out-perform $700k
These are the types of contracts we should be doing now as well. At worst if they don't make the team they are sent to Utica and nothing goes against our cap- just out of Aqua's pockets. If they don't report then it's just a termination of contract and if they do then it's some veteran leadership for the players that are in Utica.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
121530345_3638270456236462_6140213247815368809_n.jpg

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
OUT: Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, (Leivo) ... very happy with this turnover (Marky only cuz $).
Next year : Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Baertschi, (Spooner)... Let them ALL walk please...

Feeling extra callous : Find a hockey trade for Boeser to bring back a dman... Use Gaudette to move money to sign a winger..

Then incorporate Rafferty, Juolevi this season... Podkolzin, Hoglander upfront next season... Tryamkin, Rathbone, next season...

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
OUT: Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, (Leivo) ... very happy with this turnover (Marky only cuz $).
Next year : Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Baertschi, (Spooner)... Let them ALL walk please...

Feeling extra callous : Find a hockey trade for Boeser to bring back a dman... Use Gaudette to move money to sign a winger..

Then incorporate Rafferty, Juolevi this season... Podkolzin, Hoglander upfront next season... Tryamkin, Rathbone, next season...

our top 9 looks pretty awful with Boeser, would look a lot worse without him

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

After getting Schmidt..Do you still think it’s still necessary to trade Boeser for a top 4 D..?

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pearson was -13 in the 18 games leading up to lockdown and he’s an empty net point stat padder.

he’s not that good. Better than Guddy though.

i tend to think of him (and also eriksson but pearson is next level) as having a useful ability to ice one goal games. that's not nothing. that said, he's borderline useless for the other 58.5 minutes of the game. if i could i would totally trade him right now to some team that can't tell the difference.

i think at a certain point, those veteran ringers become a distraction unless you have the right fit, the right coach, and the right team. corey perry on dallas? wonderful. spezza? the gongshow outweighed his on-ice contributions, imo.

sundin to vancouver has always been one that made no sense whatever to me and still does not. i was just glad it didn't turn out as bad as messier.

sundin is one of my favourite examples of it working beautifully. every core player on the team was better for him being here. he took pressure off luongo in the first post-naslund/linden season. kesler calmed the f down and realized what he could be. he gave the sedins so much confidence. and then just his professionalism rubbing off on bieksa, burrows, and a young guy like edler getting to spend time with his hero as he's getting his feet wet.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Our top 6 without Boeser would be ugly. I actually think our top 4 is pretty good.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
sundin is one of my favourite examples of it working beautifully. every core player on the team was better for him being here. he took pressure off luongo in the first post-naslund/linden season. kesler calmed the f down and realized what he could be. he gave the sedins so much confidence. and then just his professionalism rubbing off on bieksa, burrows, and a young guy like edler getting to spend time with his hero as he's getting his feet wet.

but those are all intangible impacts that are routinely discounted if not ridiculed here.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How long until Matthews, Marner, etc are sporting ZZ Top style beards?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I always viewed the Sundin signing as very beneficial to the growth of the Sedins and Kesler. Their production took a huge jump the next season.
Henrik had a noticeable increase in points the following season (was that because of Sundin ,or just Henriks natural progression...?)...Kesler had 1 less goal and 13 more assists...Daniel had 3 more points...

Hardly justifies paying a guy $5.6M (with a $4M bonus).....

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

All this talk of moving out money... would’ve thought that would be taken care of by now.

Yeah I would generally agree. I think there is potential where teams are all finished with free agency and then may consider deals to meet the cap floor and that is when a deal could materialize. But even then it's iffy and likely to cost the Canucks since almost every team has cap issues and everyone knows the Canucks are among the very worst in this regard.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I would’ve been pissed if they made the OEL and later Schmidt ended up getting traded for a 3rd to another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->