GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah I would generally agree. I think there is potential where teams are all finished with free agency and then may consider deals to meet the cap floor and that is when a deal could materialize. But even then it's iffy and likely to cost the Canucks since almost every team has cap issues and everyone knows the Canucks are among the very worst in this regard.

Every team in the league has already made the cap floor. It’s not likely to cost something to clear salary, it *will* cost something.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

This is at odds with that earlier report that we were going to send more cap out than OEL’s 8.25. I was never opposed to trading for him but some of that was feeling it was a creative way to clear some of the junk on the roster. Also his contract isn’t that bad to buy out towards the end.

But yeah, this offer is less than ideal on our end (and of course obviously would’ve prevented us from getting Schmidt). Mine was a 1st, Eriksson and a lesser prospect. Eriksson had to be a part of that deal, full stop.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This is at odds with that earlier report that we were going to send more cap out than OEL’s 8.25. I was never opposed to trading for him but some of that was feeling it was a creative way to clear some of the junk on the roster. Also his contract isn’t that bad to buy out towards the end.

But yeah, this offer is less than ideal on our end (and of course obviously would’ve prevented us from getting Schmidt). Mine was a 1st, Eriksson and a lesser prospect. Eriksson had to be a part of that deal, full stop.
Salary makes sense. Don’t believe they would offer their 1st and 2nd. Not a chance

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah I would generally agree. I think there is potential where teams are all finished with free agency and then may consider deals to meet the cap floor and that is when a deal could materialize. But even then it's iffy and likely to cost the Canucks since almost every team has cap issues and everyone knows the Canucks are among the very worst in this regard.
Every team is at the floor without a 23 man roster. That’s not a thing. They might take on salary because they have room but not to meet the floor.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Glad it didn't go through... But that is not a very good offer for OEL... can see why they turned it down.

With a Marky re-signing... wonder if 1st, 2nd, Eriksson, Demko woulda done it..

maybe it was a catch 22

arizona was hoping we'd sign marky and then part with demko.

marky was only going to sign with us at our offer if we got oel.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Does Benning finally up his game to move out money?! Clearly no one is taking Sutter without retention and/or a sweetner. The lame thing is that ducks were able to trade gudbranson (who sucks) for a 5th. So this just opens the door for that idea.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Henrik had a noticeable increase in points the following season (was that because of Sundin ,or just Henriks natural progression...?)...Kesler had 1 less goal and 13 more assists...Daniel had 3 more points...

Hardly justifies paying a guy $5.6M (with a $4M bonus).....

Sure, leave out the fact Daniel missed 19 games due to injury... all of these guys had big jumps in point production. And what does it matter what we paid him when we signed him half way through the year when we had the cap space to do so?

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Honestly, I still wouldn't mind going after OEL

Although Eriksson + Ferland has to be the starting point.

Add Virtanen, Juolevi, our 1st, etc. to balance things out.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
sundin to vancouver has always been one that made no sense whatever to me and still does not. i was just glad it didn't turn out as bad as messier.
The accidental comedy from this poster is reaching epic levels.

This is the #1 champion of Bennings' mentorpede strategy since he joined the boards, seeing real and justifiable value in the mentor abilities of Sutter, Beagle, Prust, etc etc.

But apparently it made no sense whatsoever to sign a first ballot HOFer, who was still roughly a 70pts/82 games player, to a one year contract when the team had tons of cap space.

Yup.

Reactions: vanuck and rypper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad