GDT: Free Agent Frenzy / Fantasy GM - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
My reaction to reading about the trade:

7342de8773ddaceaf4de4d2b7f86cd85.gif

Disbelief.

Lets be honest, Benning failed into this trade after blundering and having no plan, while treating our FA's like trash and then attempting to beg them back.

We got lucky and it fell into our laps, but lets not apologize.

Now looking forward, we still need to shed some dead weight: Louie, Sutter, Beagle, Benn, Roussell, Baertschi...2 of those NEED to go.

Let's see how Benning fairs in off loading them to free up cap space.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
The idea that Benning haters should feel bad or ashamed or whatever about this is silly. It's totally possible to believe these two things:

1) On paper this looks like the best trade the Canucks have made in 14 years, since Luongo.

2) Benning pretty obviously fluked his way into this and the franchise would still be better off if he got canned right this minute, since surely there's no way he can keep accidentally backing his clown car into excellent moves like this.

(That said, I'll admit recent events have made me like 3% more willing to entertain the possibility that invisible magical elves are watching over JB and helping him out and maybe we shouldn't mess with that.)

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Our forward corps is still in trouble.

Miller EP Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen?
Roussel Gaudette Sutter
Motte Beagle MacEwen
Eriksson

Top 6 is incomplete and bottom 6 is mostly underwhelming and overpriced. I anticipate Virtanen gets traded, but we will need to sign a top 6 capable forward somehow.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The idea that Benning haters should feel bad or ashamed or whatever about this is silly. It's totally possible to believe these two things:

1) On paper this is easily the best trade the Canucks have made in 14 years, since Luongo.

2) Benning pretty obviously fluked his way into this and the franchise would still be better off if he got canned right this minute, since surely there's no way he can keep accidentally backing his clown car into excellent moves like this.

(That said, I'll admit recent events have made me like 3% more willing to entertain the possibility that invisible magical elves are watching over JB and helping him out and maybe we shouldn't mess with that.)

Absolutely.

This should be an absolute home run for this team. But this was not the result of good planning and good management, and if any of the bad moves that this team had wanted to make had actually gone through, this would never have happened.

Reactions: Mr4legs

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I felt very comfortable bashing Benning with such certainty as it would have literally taken an incomprehensible miracle to salvage this offseason for him given the circumstances. And that’s exactly what happened. Lmao

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not Canuck related, but Weegar is apparently being shopped. Leafs had an offer for him, but it's unclear if it's still on the table after Brodie/Johnsson/Bogosian moves.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

1) On paper this looks like the best trade the Canucks have made in 14 years, since Luongo.

Some of the low level infantile bashing is pretty sad.
1) yes it does
2) According to David Pagnotta, they had been working on this trade for a few days...so...

Reactions: Teflon Jim

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2020 / 2021 Vancouver Canucks (for now)

Miller (5.25) – Petterson (0.925) – Virtanen (2.6)
Pearson (3.75) – Horvat (5.5) – Boeser (5.875)
Roussel (3) – Sutter (4.375) – Eriksson (6)
Motte (1.2) – Beagle (3) – MacEwen (0.825)
Ferland (3.5)

Hughes (0.916) – Myers (6)
Edler (6) – Schmidt (5.95)
Benn (2) - Rafferty (0.7)
Juolevi (0.863)

Holtby (4.3)
Demko (1)

Luongo (3)
Baertschi (2.29)
Spooner (1)
Bonuses (1.7)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

The idea that Benning haters / Benning supporters should be subjected to any kind of gotcha-ism or scorn is completely counter to the rules here and shouldn’t be done. Full stop. (Just piggy backing on part of your statement here)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Sat is echoing Dhaliwal’s sentiments about some cap clearing moves being in Vancouver’s future.

Benn would be one guy I’d have as a candidate to he moved easily.

Sutter could also be bought out after Virtanen’s arbitration hearing if the Canucks are unable to trade him.

Those two moves in combination would clear up a little over $4m in space.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

There's absolutely no explanation. Benning has been blessed by the hockey gods and that's literally the only reason he still has a job. Consider that he:

- Drafted Hughes and Pettersson in consecutive seasons and seeing them immediately turn into studs in their D+2 seasons.
- Traded a potential lottery pick for a perennial 50-60 point player only to see that player immediately produce a PPG season from out of nowhere.
- Now have this trade fall into his lap after all of his other plans failed.

There's no other GM who gets this fortunate. Mind-boggling.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Sat is echoing Dhaliwal’s sentiments about some cap clearing moves being in Vancouver’s future.

Benn would be one guy I’d have as a candidate to he moved easily.

Sutter could also be bought out after Virtanen’s arbitration hearing if the Canucks are unable to trade him.

Those two moves in combination would clear up a little over $4m in space.

I'd say the only realistic options to move are Sutter(plays center, some dinosaur GM might still overvalue him due to name value and past performance). Or Roussel(to a dinosaur GM who wants grit, hits, agitation, sandpaper, all those fun buzzwords). Would need to retain some salary and throw a bone in terms of a pick or prospect to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->