GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
lol market just isn’t what people think it is with cap dumps. Think we can eliminate that narrative from next year please
If a 3rd two years from now can get you that, imagine what a 1st next year could get you, even if it is the 31st pick...

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
he isn’t a pure cap dump, he’s a useful player. Same thing as Murray to us, only a bit older but better and less injury concern.

If you are forced to trade a player to clear salary and take a less then face value return then it is a cap dump. Cap dumps aren’t just crappy players on ltir or retired.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
NTC or not, I'm glad Fitz didn't jump on that one. Don't really want the back end of that deal.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Just saying....Schmidt's contract hit corresponds nicely to a 1st and 3rd round compensation offer sheet for certain left handed defenders down south :P

Okay, that's probably not what happened here, but a man can dream, damnit!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
If you are forced to trade a player to clear salary and take a less then face value return then it is a cap dump. Cap dumps aren’t just crappy players on ltir or retired.

yeah they moved salary. But Schmidt is much more then a dump. He’s a top pair defence.
A 3rd is a substantial underpay

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If a 3rd two years from now can get you that, imagine what a 1st next year could get you, even if it is the 31st pick...

there will always be other teams willing to take less and drive down your asking price it’s the same way there are always team willing to up your offer and drive up the price

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
NTC or not, I'm glad Fitz didn't jump on that one. Don't really want the back end of that deal.

serious question not just to you but are we ever going to want a player that has a long term deal well into his 30s? Or are we going to be forever an under 30 team

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would imagine there were teams that would have given up more than that who were on Schmidt's no trade list (was it a list of teams he wouldn't accept a trade to or teams he would?).

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I don’t know if you knew how this season turned out, buuuutttttt

Yes, I know. Yes Yzerman put a lot of that team together. What did they win under him? BriseBois finished the deal with signing Maroon and trading for Coleman and Goodrow. Now he's dealing with the shit heap of contracts Yzerman left him.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
there will always be other teams willing to take less and drive down your asking price it’s the same way there are always team willing to up your offer and drive up the price
I don't even know what point you are trying to make anymore.

"A 2021 late first round pick isn’t going to help a team until 2023-24 let that sink in"

You said that, and there is a couple people telling you otherwise. No one is saying give up our prospects or try to avoid getting more. But picks even from winning teams next year still hold a lot of value, and will hold even more when it comes to getting players off teams who can't afford to take on any salary.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would imagine there were teams that would have given up more than that who were on Schmidt's no trade list (was it a list of teams he wouldn't accept a trade to or teams he would?).

Capfriendly says it's a 10-team list submitted by the player. It's a near certainty we'd be on that list. You think Schmidt wanted to go to a rebuilding team in a non-premier location with enough cap space to take on that deal?

It also is possible even if we weren't on his NTC that Fitz wouldn't have been looking Schmidt's way, he certainly hasn't shown much interest in the big FA's with term so far, and Schmidt more or less has a FA-type contract. And honestly one more mid-level acquisition or trade and they are gonna start to get tight on 2021 cap space anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad