GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
but that's glory hogging, which has nothing to do with being on a contender - no offense to our buddy sabremike, but colorado is in the top echelon of the NHL. if money wasn't an issue and all you wanted to do was win, then why wouldn't you wanna go to colorado?

I'm a bit late to the conversation but...

Imagine this. Hall picks the team that offers him the most money that he thinks will NOT make the playoffs. He signs a 1 year contract hoping to be dealt to a contender at the trade deadline.

This way, he gets the best of both worlds. He gets paid, and he gets a shot at the playoffs and a cup.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Imagine this. Hall picks the team that offers him the most money that he thinks will NOT make the playoffs. He signs a 1 year contract hoping to be dealt to a contender at the trade deadline.

This way, he gets the best of both worlds. He gets paid, and he gets a shot at the playoffs and a cup.
We tried that approach first, Hall is still a scumbag who lied to us all and is now just lurking Hfboards and maniacally laughing.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If it was the case that the Devils were NOT on the list of 10 teams , and Fitz simply chose that this is not the path he wants to take (age of player and contract length and cap hit etc) , there is no way in hell that he considers outbidding teams on Hoffman or Dadanov.

Those two “should” get around 5.5 mil per . If Fitz thought Schmidt wasn’t worth a minimal asset given his contract and age , Hoffman and Dadanov will never be considered. Nor should they be . I think there are still steals out there from teams in cap trouble.

I still have faith in Fitz that he will get a good deal by acquiring a very good player or two by capitalizing on other teams cap situation .Now is the time to speed up a rebuild by getting players for pennies on the dollar.

If there ever was a time for offer sheets ,it would be now.
That has been said every offseason and never happens though. Why not offer sheet a couple of players on Tampa? They can’t match them all. However those players have to sign the offer sheet first....

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Toffoli only got 4.25 x 4. He’s 2+ years younger than Dadonov and Hoffman, I doubt they get that much term. I’d be all over a 3 year deal for either.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If you think Fitz is a dumb GM you should probably look for a new team to root for since things will be bad here for a while with him as GM

I never said he was a dumb GM but if he’s refusing to add premium talent for a 3rd round pick in 2022, then yes, I have an issue with his train of thought.

If that’s the case, move Palmieri and start looking for a suitor for Severson as well because I don’t see us being competitive by the time his deal runs out.

You need a mix of veterans and youngsters to build a winning team and when your team has been kicked in the teeth because of lack of talent on defence, you don’t stress over the fact that a 29 year old still has 5 years remaining on his deal. Players are still capable of playing at a high level at 34 years of age, especially late bloomers like Schmidt who doesn’t have a lot of mileage.

With that said, I do think Fitzgerald has something on the back burner and that he will add a dman that will help us now and push down Murray and Butcher to their respective slots.

This might be a pipe dream but Ty Smith+ for Sergachev would be ideal for both sides IMO.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If it was the case that the Devils were NOT on the list of 10 teams , and Fitz simply chose that this is not the path he wants to take (age of player and contract length and cap hit etc) , there is no way in hell that he considers outbidding teams on Hoffman or Dadanov.

Those two “should” get around 5.5 mil per . If Fitz thought Schmidt wasn’t worth a minimal asset given his contract and age , Hoffman and Dadanov will never be considered. Nor should they be . I think there are still steals out there from teams in cap trouble.

I still have faith in Fitz that he will get a good deal by acquiring a very good player or two by capitalizing on other teams cap situation .Now is the time to speed up a rebuild by getting players for pennies on the dollar.

If there ever was a time for offer sheets ,it would be now.
It’s Ben said every offseason and never happens though. Why not offer sheet a coil,e of l,ayers on Tampa? They can’t match them all. However those players have to sign the offer sheet first....

I am not sure if posters read what Fitz says or not, but this article just appeared on NJ.com

Q: What is the downside to bringing in an impactful player for this season, someone that fits your age group, someone like a Tyler Toffoli? Obviously, fit comes into play, but does it come down to you wanting to bank that cap space for three or four years down the road? What do you say to fans that are saying, “Hey, don’t give up this year and next year. There are some guys that are in their 20s that could really be top six guys right now!”
Fitzgerald: "It’s a business situation. Some of these guys aren’t looking for one or two-year deals. They’re looking for five. Some are looking for six. I believe I know where we’re going to be in five or six years with our group as we continue to add and where our recent draft picks fit in. I don’t ever want to look back and go, ‘Geez, I did it for this season and next season, but, boy, years three and four, what am I going to do with this guy?’ I’m not looking at any particular player, but I am looking at there’s always a drop-off with older players.

Why Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald won’t spend $18M in cap space on Taylor Hall, Mike Hoffman ... or any big-money free agents

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
If one of Hoffman or Dadonov want to come here on a 1 or 2 year deal I think Fitz consider it.

But he also said he doesn’t want to spend all our cap and be unable to take advantage of a team that needs to trade a player that fits our age range.

I think being patient is the right approach. The flat cap isn’t going away next year, and maybe not even the year after. Teams will continue having to make hard decisions.

We don’t want to be one of them.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If one of Hoffman or Dadonov want to come here on a 1 or 2 year deal I think Fitz would do it.

But he also said he doesn’t want to spend all our cap and be unable to take advantage of a team that needs to trade a player that fits our age range.

I think being patient is the right approach. The flat cap isn’t going away next year, and maybe not even the year after. Teams will continue having to make hard decisions.

We don’t want to be one of them.
Agreed. The length of the deal matters. See what I posted above #1882. He is looking at 3, 4 , and 5 years down the road while some posters here are fixated on the upcoming season

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I never said he was a dumb GM but if he’s refusing to add premium talent for a 3rd round pick in 2022, then yes, I have an issue with his train of thought.

If that’s the case, move Palmieri and start looking for a suitor for Severson as well because I don’t see us being competitive by the time his deal runs out.

You need a mix of veterans and youngsters to build a winning team and when your team has been kicked in the teeth because of lack of talent on defence, you don’t stress over the fact that a 29 year old still has 5 years remaining on his deal. Players are still capable of playing at a high level at 34 years of age, especially late bloomers like Schmidt who doesn’t have a lot of mileage.

With that said, I do think Fitzgerald has something on the back burner and that he will add a dman that will help us now and push down Murray and Butcher to their respective slots.

This might be a pipe dream but Ty Smith+ for Sergachev would be ideal for both sides IMO.

dude you make too much sense. Welcome to what I’ve been trying to explain to these guys lol. They are in for a rude awakening in 7 years when nico is due up for a new contract and it will probably be about 11 million.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I am not sure if posters read what Fitz says or not, but this article just appeared on NJ.com

Q: What is the downside to bringing in an impactful player for this season, someone that fits your age group, someone like a Tyler Toffoli? Obviously, fit comes into play, but does it come down to you wanting to bank that cap space for three or four years down the road? What do you say to fans that are saying, “Hey, don’t give up this year and next year. There are some guys that are in their 20s that could really be top six guys right now!”
Fitzgerald: "It’s a business situation. Some of these guys aren’t looking for one or two-year deals. They’re looking for five. Some are looking for six. I believe I know where we’re going to be in five or six years with our group as we continue to add and where our recent draft picks fit in. I don’t ever want to look back and go, ‘Geez, I did it for this season and next season, but, boy, years three and four, what am I going to do with this guy?’ I’m not looking at any particular player, but I am looking at there’s always a drop-off with older players.

Why Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald won’t spend $18M in cap space on Taylor Hall, Mike Hoffman ... or any big-money free agents

I’m not an NHL GM but that is just a horrendous way of going about it. There is no way you can run a team based on fear of something possibly going wrong in 4 or 5 years, when your current backbone of your future gets demolished year after year. What happens if your core doesn’t live up to the hype and your prospects don’t pan out the way you had hoped for? The answer is... you’re stuck in a never ending cycle.

We were able to get Murray for nothing, which is great because he fits our current age group but he’s also a fart away from going on LTIR. Again, I think (I hope) Fitz has something up his sleeve to upgrade our below average defence.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Honestly, I think I Am at the point where I would be open to moving the 1st round pick in a deal for a LEGIT young top 4 DMan like Sergachev

they already have a top 3 to 5 prospect pool. Adding Serg, Murray, Johnsson, and Crow should get them to be at least a bubble team. Would you trade ~14th overall for Serg? I would.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

a team made up of 25 and under in major roles? Yeah that’s going to end well. :eyeroll:

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Agree. Friedman apparently said there was no other good one year offer for Hall. If Friedman is accurate sounds like he did not have much of a choice.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m not an NHL GM but that is just a horrendous way of going about it. There is no way you can run a team based on fear of something possibly going wrong in 4 or 5 years, when your current backbone of your future gets demolished year after year. What happens if your core doesn’t live up to the hype and your prospects don’t pan out the way you had hoped for? The answer is... you’re stuck in a never ending cycle.

We were able to get Murray for nothing, which is great because he fits our current age group but he’s also a fart away from going on LTIR. Again, I think (I hope) Fitz has something up his sleeve to upgrade our below average defence.

I think that’s the analytics group talking. It’s also pretty much what Sakic has done with COL and he’s getting accolades for it. If Nico and Jack turn the corner in two years Fitz will get similar accolades when NJ has cap space to supplement the team.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Honestly, I think I Am at the point where I would be open to moving the 1st round pick in a deal for a LEGIT young top 4 DMan like Sergachev

they already have a top 3 to 5 prospect pool. Adding Serg, Murray, Johnsson, and Crow should get them to be at least a bubble team. Would you trade ~14th overall for Serg? I would.
Idk what we do but Im a bit peeved we couldnt get Nate Schmidt for more than a 2022 3rd

Yes he could have had NJ on his list but I doubt it.

As long as we don't enter next season with the defense we have today, Im okay with it. There is way too many cap strapped teams to not be capitalizing once more.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

I agree with some of what you said but trade Ty Smith ??? Ya no.
He’s the last of our prospects besides Holtz that we should ever think about trading.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think that’s the analytics group talking. It’s also pretty much what Sakic has done with COL and he’s getting accolades for it. If Nico and Jack turn the corner in two years Fitz will get similar accolades when NJ has cap space to supplement the team.

Sakic has the 2nd or 3rd best player in the game as well as the best promising dman in the game, hit a homerun with Rantanen and robbed the Sens which landed him Girard and the 4th overall pick that is now Bowen Byram.

If we’re going with that blueprint, we’re heading full steam into a brick wall because, as good as Hughes might turn out, we don’t have any of that.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I agree with some of what you said but trade Ty Smith ??? Ya no.
He’s the last of our prospects besides Holtz that we should ever think about trading.

Ty Smith has some upside but we would be lucky if he can turn into Sergachev, so yes, I’d move him in a heartbeat for the proven guy who’s just a year and a couple of months younger and is already a cup winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino