GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Killorn would be my realistic target from Tampa but we’re certainly on his no trade list too.

I’m still hoping for Weegar or Dunn

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
lol market just isn’t what people think it is with cap dumps. Think we can eliminate that narrative from next year please
The cap dump market is brutally worse, so much so that teams had to buy out players with years left on their deals and today two teams had to sell off key top four defensemen (in Schmidt case top 2/3) for cap space because they couldn’t afford the asset cost of dumping bad contracts.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
a prospect being a kid that’s drafted and already in the system and you can evaluate aka a more proven commodity then a late round first round draft pick. Again who will have a quicker impact on the team that 2021 first round draft pick #25 or bahl?

it’s not being impatient either. It’s being logical. They need players that are more of a known then an unknown pick that won’t touch the ice for 4 years.

wouldnt it be more logical to spread out your prospects than to acquire a ton of good
Prospects in the same age range? Like an extra first next year could give us a useful player who will be on a entry level deal when our best players are making top money. That’s important too, so i get what you are saying in that you can take a player you like right now or get a crapshoot. But i feel like we can do both and have it work out in 3 years when our cap space is tight. I would like to acquire Vince Dunn or Cernak and then if we can get another first next year, that would be great.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Man, some of you are so whiny about players not wanting to come here, it’s unbecoming. Buck up.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
So now Vancouver likely has to trade Virtanen I would think. They can't fit he and gaudette for less than 2

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Jeez, I had hopes Butcher could be used as a lesser piece with a lower cap hit to get a bigger fish, but at this point the way things are going, it would seem like he suddenly holds negative value....

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Man, some of you are so whiny about players not wanting to come here, it’s unbecoming. Buck up.

311369.jpg

Reactions: Guttersniped

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
That's crazy. You take him for a 3rd ten times out of ten.

What do people think happens at 30? You fall apart like Mr Potatohead?

Schmidt is a good player in his prime. He would make us better and I'd love it for two years. Not five.

Defensemen over 32:
Burns, Weber, Suter, Letang, Vlasic, Seabrook, Giordano, Yandle, Edler, Johnson, Boychuk, Niskanen, Staal, Keith, Petry, Stralman, Goligoski, Hjarlmarsson, Demers, Russell, Martinez, Benn, Braun, Coburn, Holden, Sekera, Miller, Johnson, Biega.

Look at anyone on that list who isn't an established star player. Negative value, constantly injured and/or a role player who should not make 6M. The cap squeeze will last at least two seasons and it likely only starts inflects back higher right when we need to spend. There are not that many exceptions to the Potatohead rule.

I like Schmidt and maybe with Murray he makes a massive difference. But I don't think any available player, including Sergachev, takes us to the playoffs as is. We're going to need to take our lumps for a bit. Or add much much more.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Not outbidding Schmidt makes me think Fitz has his eyes somewhere else
He did say he would be investing in players 26 and younger. I’m hoping we are looking at Dunn or Cernak, even Weager if all else fails. I just want some real D depth for once and now is the time to get one for way cheaper than usual as we have seen.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Obviously there was not much demand for him
I think Schmidt picked 10 teams that had the best chance to trade for him (cap room and needed D )in order to hopefully negate a trade from happening at all. Only way I see the devils not adding a top pairing LHD (our biggest need ) for a 3rd round pick 2 years from now

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Fitz has stated on multiple occasions he wants players in Nico - Jacks age bracket

That has to be dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. How about adding legit talent for a pick that’ll probably never play a game at the NHL level before 2026, when our best options on the left side atm are Murray and Butcher.

With that said, we had to be on his NT list because the return Vegas got is an absolute joke.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
That has to be dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. How about adding legit talent for a pick that’ll probably never play a game at the NHL level before 2026, when our best options on the left side atm are Murray and Butcher.

With that said, we had to be on his NT list because the return Vegas got is an absolute joke.
If you think Fitz is a dumb GM you should probably look for a new team to root for since things will be bad here for a while with him as GM

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think the age of Schmidt and the remaining term just didnt fit with the timeframe of what Fitzy is looking for.

Good news is Sergachev, Cernak, Dunn are at the perfect age for NJ, so there are younger potential available options still out there.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I think Schmidt picked 10 teams that had the best chance to trade for him (cap room and needed D )in order to hopefully negate a trade from happening at all. Only way I see the devils not adding a top pairing LHD (our biggest need ) for a 3rd round pick 2 years from now
We will never know. What we know is that a 29 year old DMan with that skillset that has 5 years left at $5.95 mil and a 10 Team NTC is worth a 3rd pick on October 12, 2020 to the NHL GMs that had a chance to trade for him.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Who can Fritz bring in Boychuk? I definitely wouldn’t mind Martinez to play with Smith. He’s definitely not the same player from his earlier days in LA, however he’s still a solid veteran defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad