Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d give a 2nd for Poolparty but then again, that’s what you can get Kapanen for if you offer-sheet either.

Question becomes, which do we want?

Kapanen. He at least shows the ability to be very useful even if he’s not scoring. Pulju is never going to play the PK.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We can't really blame Bergevin for not getting big UFA, we don't know what were the priorities of those UFAs.

But Markov really wanted to stay here….that we know.
We also know that Radulov was loving it here. That we know.
Just like we also knew that Jagr really wanted to be a Habs.

When you're not even able to keep those who actually wants to be here, i don't really see him has being able to convince someone who is not entirely sure.

…..i just hope we don't hear that some player like Duchene or Karlsson actually wanted to come here but Bergevin kept flexing his "guns" and screw the negotiations.

The ultimate failing of that radulov/markov summer is that whatever plan he had didn't come to fruition. It was an inexcusable summer.

We can debate gainey/Gauthier's gameplan in the summer of 09 when they gutted the core by letting guys like koivu, kovalev, komisarek, and Tanguay wak, but at leat they had a plan that they were actually able to execute (signing canmaleri, gionta, gill, Moen, spacek, and acquiring Gomez via trade.)

Bergevin's response to losing Markov and Radulov was signing alzner, which seemed so random.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The taxes in Quebec are so high, might be a factor of getting UFA to sign

A fact that is not talked about a lot is the fact that all players are paid in US money. So if they get 1 millions, they actually get 1.3M in canadian money.....add to that our low cost living, should make up for it

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
who cares.

Just reenforcing my point that he’s useless if he’s not scoring, and he’s never scoring. Kapanen actually scores and when he doesn’t, he forechecks well and kills penalties.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
yes I hear it to, but if he waives it we don’t need to protect him or we absolutely need to protect him ?

It would be his choice in the end. Normally those kind of older player simply don't want to move...anywhere. It's really a pain in the ass….even if you're going to a better place.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing us end up with Kapanen, what would it take?

Right now, it would be to take on Marleau's contract.
It's their top priority.

As for an actual price it's hard to say, i think they will ask for either Suzuki, Poehling or our 1st round pick…..
Or MB could just make a $4.2M offer to Kapanen, which Toronto just can't match at this point with the Marner situation and the price would be a 2nd round pick.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Right now, it would be to take on Marleau's contract.
It's their top priority.

As for an actual price it's hard to say, i think they will ask for either Suzuki, Poehling or our 1st round pick…..
Or MB could just make a $4.2M offer to Kapanen, which Toronto just can't match at this point with the Marner situation and the price would be a 2nd round pick.
I would part with the first round pick but not Suzuki or Poehling and I highly doubt that Bergevin or any other GM is going to offer sheet another teams players. There always seems to be speculation that it will happen but it rarely does anymore. Kapanen is a beautiful player, the sky is the limit for that kid, I really like him and I hope that we are able to get him.

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I would part with the first round pick but not Suzuki or Poehling and I highly doubt that Bergevin or any other GM is going to offer sheet another teams players. There always seems to be speculation that it will happen but it rarely does anymore. Kapanen is a beautiful player, the sky is the limit for that kid, I really like him and I hope that we are able to get him.

I always wonder if it's more a GM thing or a player's thing, or both….maybe there's has been many offer sheet that we will never know cause the player didn't accept it or didn't even want to know about them cause it's really a shitty move to pull in the organization you're in….and there's always the danger of the offer being match and the player being trade to the worst team possible in a close future.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I always wonder if it's more a GM thing or a player's thing, or both….maybe there's has been many offer sheet that we will never know cause the player didn't accept it or didn't even want to know about them cause it's really a ****ty move to pull in the organization you're in….and there's always the danger of the offer being match and the player being trade to the worst team possible in a close future.

It would certainly put a target on your own organization for sure. The NHL is somewhat of an old boys club and there doesn't seem to be a desire to try and sabotage another team with offer sheets. Many of these guys have past connections with each other and probably have a silent agreement between them that it won't happen. The Leafs are in a tough spot and will need to be carried by their star forwards while having a not so great D core, I expect that the only way that they can help their situation is to unload Nylander for help.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It would certainly put a target on your own organization for sure. The NHL is somewhat of an old boys club and there doesn't seem to be a desire to try and sabotage another team with offer sheets. Many of these guys have past connections with each other and probably have a silent agreement between them that it won't happen. The Leafs are in a tough spot and will need to be carried by their star forwards while having a not so great D core, I expect that the only way that they can help their situation is to unload Nylander for help.

Yeah, that silent agreement is otherwise known as collusion.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I'm sure some are very good friends and wants to play a fair game and new guys don't want to be the new jerk on the block….but i think it still can be a starting point to discuss a eventual trade.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad