Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin the genius couldn't give Radulov 7 million a year but committed 10 million a year to the useless duo of Alzner and LaFlamme.
I still can't believe we let him go for nothing. It's not like he was coasting or anything, he worked just as hard as Brendan Gallagher.

Radulov+Sergachev vs Alzner+Drouin. Pretty obvious which duo is better, and it's the one that is substantially cheaper.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I still can't believe we let him go for nothing. It's not like he was coasting or anything, he worked just as hard as Brendan Gallagher.

Radulov+Sergachev vs Alzner+Drouin. Pretty obvious which duo is better, and it's the one that is substantially cheaper.

he would have been traded out of Montreal if he resigned last year..lol late for a practice in Dallas this year....
Stars' Alexander Radulov scratched for being late to practice - Sportsnet.ca

Now if that happened in Montreal??/ oh yeah

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
he would have been traded out of Montreal if he resigned last year..lol late for a practice in Dallas this year....
Stars' Alexander Radulov scratched for being late to practice - Sportsnet.ca

Now if that happened in Montreal??/ oh yeah

This is team code around most of the league. Have you ever accidentally showed up to work late by accident? Yes, you have. It happens all the time. Or you haven’t worked most likely in your life. Stuff happens. Your employer does what they have too. Imagine having journalists eating you alive for a slip up.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Attracting marquee ufas goes beyond Bergevin. Gainey also struck out, particularly when he was trying to solve the center situation. He couldn't close Briere when he chose Philly , and couldn't close Sundin when he chose Vancouver. He couldn't close Gomez who instead went to the rangers

He couldn't land Lecavalier, who wasn't a UFA, but he only seemed lukewarm towards the possibility of wearing the ch.

Heck, a guy like langway tasted Montreal at the tail end of the team's peak, and even in the early 80s, whe there were still some pretty good players in Montreal, and more good players coming up. Yet, he still wanted out citing high taxes. So even if the team has a winning culture, I'm still skeptical whether players would flock here.

Attracting players to this city is not just an organizational problem, it's a montreal problem.

Reactions: sampollock

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Part of the GM’s job is to be able to sell the city and management team to a UFA and his family. The failure of Bergevin’s predecessors does not absolve him from doing better.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Part of the GM’s job is to be able to sell the city and management team to a UFA and his family. The failure of Bergevin’s predecessors does not absolve him from doing better.

I just get the feeling that people think it's all about handing the cash, and it's a done deal.

In reality, there's more to it, and it's a daunting task to attract players here.

Why do players like Manhattan? I think a big reason is they get the perks of being a pro athlete in a city like no other, while not having to expense their privacy. They are still a small fish in a very big pond.

I'm not sure how management would compensate for the TMZ style following of hockey players in this city, and how to to provide them an environment where they can enjoy more anonymity than they get (and still be able to enjoy what the city has to offer), but I think that's the key to opening up this market more than anything else. Nobody has found the key to date.

Last edited:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Attracting marquee ufas goes beyond Bergevin. Gainey also struck out, particularly when he was trying to solve the center situation. He couldn't close Briere when he chose Philly , and couldn't close Sundin when he chose Vancouver. He couldn't close Gomez who instead went to the rangers

He couldn't land Lecavalier, who wasn't a UFA, but he only seemed lukewarm towards the possibility of wearing the ch.

Heck, a guy like langway tasted Montreal at the tail end of the team's peak, and even in the early 80s, whe there were still some pretty good players in Montreal, and more good players coming up. Yet, he still wanted out citing high taxes. So even if the team has a winning culture, I'm still skeptical whether players would flock here.

Attracting players to this city is not just an organizational problem, it's a montreal problem.

At least Uncle Bob was trying and wasn't insulting our intelligence by excuses like there's no centers available.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
At least Uncle Bob was trying and wasn't giving us bull**** excuses like there's no center available.

MB's ability to handle the media is a whole other topic, but I didn't mean to cite gainey in a negative light. I think he identified the main need on his club, and he went after that need very aggressively.

He just couldn't execute it. At the end of the day, it's pro sports, and that is what counts, but he was on the right path.

Reactions: the

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
"The prices were too high"
"We are building for the future and wanted to commit to our young players"
"We are going to try and build off what we did last year"
"We are just getting started again"
"We are keeping the cap space".
Did I miss any?
I think you got them all.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At least Uncle Bob was trying and wasn't insulting our intelligence by excuses like there's no centers available.

That dog and pony show where MB was conducting a public auction involving Radulov and Markov was priceless.

Reactions: OldCraig71 and the

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I watched at least 10 Dallas games last year(because I love Radulov) and he was easily the best forward on the ice, the man is constantly trying to create something when he is out there. There could not have been a better fit in a player than what Rads was for Montreal and he let him go. Bergevin should have been fired for that along with 20 other things!

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Honestly, I don’t get the hate for Duchene. I would try and sign him. He is what we need. An offensive centerman who can win draws and help our PP.

Same goes for Karlsson, I would try and sign him too.

I would give them 7 years to bring down their cap hit.

Let’s try and win now. We have Price for another 7 years and the cap will keep rising. This team is too good with Price to finish last and win the lottery so let’s just go for it.

We could be really competitive for the first 5 years of their contacts which would be fun and exciting. Only thing is im not sure Weber can last 5 years but the first 3 seasons could be good.

Reactions: Holystik and bsl

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Time to move on from Radulov, like we get it, he is a good deal at 7mm and MB should have re- signed him. 20 teams that probably should have signed him but he went to Dallas for similar money. Literally no one thinks that was a good play by MB, why do we need thousands of posts a month on it?

If anything it supports the idea that we need to pay more then other teams to get players. No one wanted him a few years ago, Habs gave him a shot, he played great, took similar money to play elsewhere. We sucked and got the best prospect we have had in forever because of it.

End of story, lets move. Or maybe the mods can have a thread where guys post the same thing over and over so it doesn’t clutter up the rest of the threads. We aren’t allowed to talk Subban vs Weber, but endless Rads whining goes on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I watched at least 10 Dallas games last year(because I love Radulov) and he was easily the best forward on the ice, the man is constantly trying to create something when he is out there. There could not have been a better fit in a player than what Rads was for Montreal and he let him go. Bergevin should have been fired for that along with 20 other things!

Radulov will always be the prized UFA that Bergevin foolishly let slip through his fingers. It’ll continue to haunt him until he makes good on another UFA player of the same or better caliber. There is no statute of limitations on one of Bergevin’s most incompetent decisions of his tenure.

Reactions: bsl and Be a Hab

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
That dog and pony show where MB was conducting a public auction involving Radulov and Markov was priceless.

We can't really blame Bergevin for not getting big UFA, we don't know what were the priorities of those UFAs.

But Markov really wanted to stay here….that we know.
We also know that Radulov was loving it here. That we know.
Just like we also knew that Jagr really wanted to be a Habs.

When you're not even able to keep those who actually wants to be here, i don't really see him has being able to convince someone who is not entirely sure.

…..i just hope we don't hear that some player like Duchene or Karlsson actually wanted to come here but Bergevin kept flexing his "guns" and screw the negotiations.

Reactions: the
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad