Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Summer of 2016 free agency

Andrew Ladd 7 yrs $38.5 million all guaranteed
Kyle Okposo 7 yrs $42 million all guaranteed
David Backes 5 yrs $30 million, all guaranteed
Milan Lucic 7 yrs $42 million all guaranteed
Loui Eriksson 6 yrs $36 million all guaranteed
Frans Nielsen 6 yrs $31.5 million
Troy Brouwer 4 yrs $ 18 million (bought out after two)

Forget who but someone was pointing these contracts out. Probably a good reminder for all gm's about buyer's remorse and free agency.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The thread is about UFAs and that means none of them are going to be signed at a $1.5M salary.

Sure, if they're making close to $1M, you may have some different dynamics at play but those are not the players that generally matter as UFAs if they even exist as UFAs, they're just filler.

Indeed. I lost context.

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Forget who but someone was pointing these contracts out. Probably a good reminder for all gm's about buyer's remorse and free agency.

Duchene & Skinner are primed to highlight a similar list in 3yrs from now

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Duchene & Skinner are primed to highlight a similar list in 3yrs from now
Skinner wasn't a UFA signing per se...but I agree about that.

Duchene, i'm real curious how much he's going to sign for.

I've gone back and forth on whether or not i'd like to see him with the Habs, but after seeing what pending UFA Skinner got, I imagine that's going to be a price I wouldn't personally be willing to pay.

Reactions: Miller Time

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

Non of those player was a real pure offenssive talented center. or game breaker winger like the 2 available this off season

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

In all fairness, I think most people here and around knew at the time that most of those contracts were ludicrous at the time and relieved we didn’t sign any of them at those prices.

Reactions: Tighthead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In all fairness, I think most people here and around knew at the time that most of those contracts were ludicrous at the time and relieved we didn’t sign any of them at those prices.

It certainly wasn’t for lack of trying. Habs had the best offer to Lucic and Okposo turned them down. MB saved from himself is more like it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It was news to me too until one of our posters brought it to our attention recently: Out of Town Thread Part XIX

Interesting but it’s hard to put stock in Shawn Starr and local media. It’s hard enough to put it in the top tier guys like Mckenzie etc. In any case, that’s the case for almost all teams anyways isn’t it. Outside of the Rangers, there isn’t a team that can consistently attract UFAs unless your a Cup favourite or have a super star to play with. That being said, we’re far from having either so I’m not exactly surprised that we consistently strike out on UFAs, internationally or not.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting but it’s hard to put stock in Shawn Starr and local media. It’s hard enough to put it in the top tier guys like Mckenzie etc. In any case, that’s the case for almost all teams anyways isn’t it. Outside of the Rangers, there isn’t a team that can consistently attract UFAs unless your a Cup favourite or have a super star to play with. That being said, we’re far from having either so I’m not exactly surprised that we consistently strike out on UFAs, internationally or not.

Just happy we don't have any of those guys from that UFA year. This summer has several interesting options, who knows how much mileage they get.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The 2016 free agency class doesn't hold a candle to this year's free agency crop. The likes of Lucic, Eriksson, and Brower have nothing on Panarin, Duchene, and Karlsson. These are elite players. Those guys in 2016 were just players whose contracts were up.

I don't think signing any of these guys will make GMs regret throwing money and term at them.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Skinner wasn't a UFA signing per se...but I agree about that.

Duchene, i'm real curious how much he's going to sign for.

I've gone back and forth on whether or not i'd like to see him with the Habs, but after seeing what pending UFA Skinner got, I imagine that's going to be a price I wouldn't personally be willing to pay.
my feelings as well,buffalo just gave every gm heartburn.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
The 2016 free agency class doesn't hold a candle to this year's free agency crop. The likes of Lucic, Eriksson, and Brower have nothing on Panarin, Duchene, and Karlsson. These are elite players. Those guys in 2016 were just players whose contracts were up.

I don't think signing any of these guys will make GMs regret throwing money and term at them.
What I took from that list is the danger of paying a player for past performance and giving them a long term. I don't see that as exclusive to that group. The longer the contract, the more risk, especially when it's all guaranteed. Contracts like Kovalchuk and Neal last summer were more of the same,

It just highlights the importance of building through the draft for me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What I took from that list is the danger of paying a player for past performance and giving them a long term. I don't see that as exclusive to that group. The longer the contract, the more risk, especially when it's all guaranteed. Contracts like Kovalchuk and Neal last summer were more of the same,

It just highlights the importance of building through the draft for me.

I said it for a while now.... go for the big fish or no fish at all. Karlsson would be a big fish! If not, we should not overpay and feel like we have to spend our cap space cause we have it. But you know our GM is not popular and some will use this against him if he don't use our cap space. Suppose to be contenders by now right? :sarcasm:

We should continue to stock pile draft picks where we can and based on our clutter in the forward group with prospects coming, we should be able to move some of our proven depth for more futures. Keep the ball rolling

Reactions: Chili

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
cant disagree with that point. Just saying that both are a class apart from the list the poster had up there as failed signings
I would be interested to see your list of good free agent signings at long term over the years. They seem to be more the exception then the rule.

Reactions: phillytennis

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I would be interested to see your list of good free agent signings at long term over the years. They seem to be more the exception then the rule.
And they are, but we have yet to have a player like panarin reach free agency. Maybe tavares. For me you pay for elite. like tavares. not a good player

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
I personally think it's Duchene that signs with the Hab's. I would like this deal if it was 8 or 9x7. I really do not want to overpay for him.
My number 1 target would be Karlsson . You can't pass up this opportunity if he is available, he is a game changer! Signing him to a deal of 12x6 or 11x6 I would be satisfied with. Then do a sign or trade for a lhd, pmd. Would love for this to happen, but seems like a bit of a pipe dream.

My other top pick would be the Breadman. This kid is lights out! Give him what ever he wants if he was willing to sign. Move out the appropriate players, but do whatever is necessary to make it work. This is not a position of need but it's a talented pure goal scorer the organization can't pass on.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Marleau is selling his house for $12M, no, real estate for the .1% is not a factor. The rich are different than you and me.

Maple Leafs' Patrick Marleau selling Toronto house for $11.888M - Sportsnet.ca

Yes, and that house would probably be a few million less in Québec. Why would a hockey player not take that into account. Everything except for gas is straight up more expensive in Toronto than Montreal.

You folks seriously underrate how much people in the GTA are getting f***ed when it comes to housing. Most expensive metro in Canada.

Reactions: phillytennis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad