Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nothing condescending you just chose to read it that way. I am just saying lots of mistakes are made on July 1st and so I would prefer we continue to be smart with our cap space. Not saying that we shouldn’t sign FA but we can’t afford another Karl Alzner type contract in our lineup. Be smart with term and walk away from the 5-7 year contracts except for the very elite FA..ie. Matt Duchene is not an elite FA in my books and shouldn’t get more than 4 years.

I'm not getting the continue to be part of this? We've actually been pretty dumb with our cap space two years running.

Reactions: Runner77

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Radulov will always be the prized UFA that Bergevin foolishly let slip through his fingers. It’ll continue to haunt him until he makes good on another UFA player of the same or better caliber. There is no statute of limitations on one of Bergevin’s most incompetent decisions of his tenure.
This is such a myth . You can't put the blame on Bergevin ; Radulov signed with Dallas because it was Danault-Maxpac or Seguin-Benn . Easy choice for anyone

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is such a myth . You can't put the blame on Bergevin ; Radulov signed with Dallas because it was Danault-Maxpac or Seguin-Benn . Easy choice for anyone

Nah, I was expecting a post like yours. You're free to believe what you like. Totally disagree. I and a ton of others squarely put the blame on Bergevin. It's my prerogative and I couldn't be bothered to convince you otherwise.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
"The prices were too high"
"We are building for the future and wanted to commit to our young players"
"We are going to try and build off what we did last year"
"We are just getting started again"
"We are keeping the cap space".
Did I miss any?

"Trades are hard"

He said trades take time. I remember him saying it took a couple of weeks to do the John Scott trade. It took you a couple of weeks to do a garbage for garbage trade ? Did you communicate via snail mail amongst you, Phoenix's GM and Timmins ?

A big trade should take a couple of weeks. Watch the player closer, make sure you're not just pissed at your player/really excited about the other player. Discuss it with your staff. Try to get a sense if anyone really hates said player, then go and make the deal. Trading AHL/waiver fodder for AHL/waiver fodder shouldn't take longer than maybe a day.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
pOda7LGs

It's done, everyone! :sarcasm:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
"Trades are hard"

He said trades take time. I remember him saying it took a couple of weeks to do the John Scott trade. It took you a couple of weeks to do a garbage for garbage trade ? Did you communicate via snail mail amongst you, Phoenix's GM and Timmins ?

A big trade should take a couple of weeks. Watch the player closer, make sure you're not just pissed at your player/really excited about the other player. Discuss it with your staff. Try to get a sense if anyone really hates said player, then go and make the deal. Trading AHL/waiver fodder for AHL/waiver fodder shouldn't take longer than maybe a day.
He also told us that we wouldn't understand why he made the John Scott trade. I think that Bergevin actually thought that Scott was anudder diamon in da ruff and like 50 of his udder move it simply didn work hout.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Radulov will always be the prized UFA that Bergevin foolishly let slip through his fingers. It’ll continue to haunt him until he makes good on another UFA player of the same or better caliber. There is no statute of limitations on one of Bergevin’s most incompetent decisions of his tenure.

But here's the thing though, I don't think that it bothers Bergevin one single bit. I bet if you sat down and had a beer with him and asked him if he regretted losing out on Radulov he would probably say that if he had it to do over that he wouldn't change a thing. This is what we are dealing with here. The guy feels great about trading Subban and had no problem disrespecting Markov and so many other things. Bergevin would probably defend the Alzner signing and the trade for Drouin as well, just as others do here in his defense. He is running things his way, he would take Karlsson but only on his terms, loyalty get a dog, you dig?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
fReE aGencY = eRrOr 1909

This for newbies. Isn’t from our standard. Names are simply names. Hockey players are simply hockey players. Everyone is equally equal. A free agency is a nobody agency. Ahead of it. It’s not for our level. They come to us. Not us come to them. An illusion stuff. A time waste. Saving the $ for the nothing’s sakes. Understand or don’t understand.

PS: Shit I’m talking like “themselves”...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But here's the thing though, I don't think that it bothers Bergevin one single bit. I bet if you sat down and had a beer with him and asked him if he regretted losing out on Radulov he would probably say that if he had it to do over that he wouldn't change a thing. This is what we are dealing with here. The guy feels great about trading Subban and had no problem disrespecting Markov and so many other things. Bergevin would probably defend the Alzner signing and the trade for Drouin as well, just as others do here in his defense. He is running things his way, he would take Karlsson but only on his terms, loyalty get a dog, you dig?

Of course it wouldn't bother him. He's done other highly objectionable and indefensible stuff and it still didn't get him fired. If he didn't get fired right after the prior season, then he can do no wrong, you dig? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Nah, I was expecting a post like yours. You're free to believe what you like. Totally disagree. I and a ton of others squarely put the blame on Bergevin. It's my prerogative and I couldn't be bothered to convince you otherwise.
Boom! I was expecting these posts to be here on Monday but one guy decided to get a head start lol. Truth truth truth my good buddy. "Oh look, the gm ran the team into the ground" vs "Oh look, Bergie can sure rock a polo shirt".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Boom! I was expecting these posts to be here on Monday but one guy decided to get a head start lol. Truth truth truth my good buddy. "Oh look, the gm ran the team into the ground" vs "Oh look, Bergie can sure rock a polo shirt".

The guys that believe the opposite will never agree to change their stance and they won't change ours, so it's really pointless to get into a prolonged posting tirade with them, that will lead nowhere.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
would anyone here trade the 15th pick for Jesse Puljujarvi?

Interesting thought but I believe he can be had in a package for less, so I wouldn't consider it. Sure, he was a high draft pick but a lot has happened to bring down his value, since.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The guys that believe the opposite will never agree to change their stance and they won't change ours, so it's really pointless to get into a prolonged posting tirade with them, that will lead nowhere.
it's still fun once in a while, I would love to fight in person with all of them but anyway, it is what it is.:laugh:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I just get the feeling that people think it's all about handing the cash, and it's a done deal.

In reality, there's more to it, and it's a daunting task to attract players here.

Why do players like Manhattan? I think a big reason is they get the perks of being a pro athlete in a city like no other, while not having to expense their privacy. They are still a small fish in a very big pond.

I'm not sure how management would compensate for the TMZ style following of hockey players in this city, and how to to provide them an environment where they can enjoy more anonymity than they get (and still be able to enjoy what the city has to offer), but I think that's the key to opening up this market more than anything else. Nobody has found the key to date.
The Montreal’s market been and being itself since 1909. Never get changes. Privacy? Having a life off the ice? No way...Hell freaking no...

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I think the habs will offer Duchene big money and he will turn us down and go to Nashville. Will be interesting to see if they turn their attention to someone like Eberle or decide to sit out of the second tier forwards in free agency. Think they would have had Skinner as plan B.

My guess is they really want to get scoring help up front in free agency and flip Drouin and other assets for help at LHD for a guy like Fowler or someone of that ilk. I'm not convinced Bergevin will get it done or even if it's the right move for the future but I do feel that's the way they want the summer to play out.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think they will only sign Cam Talbot or an other back up

I think we will see alote of crying July 1st here

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
15th overall picks

2015 Zach Senyshyi
2014 Dylan Larkin
2013 Ryan Pulock
2012 Cody Ceci
2011 Johnathan Miller
2010 Derek Forbort
2009 Peter Holland
2008 Erik Karlsson
2007 Alex Plante
2006 Riku Helinieus
2005 Ryan Omara
2004 Alex Radulov
2003 Robert Nilsson
2002 Jesse Niinimaki
2001 Igor Knyazev
2000 Artem Kyukov

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Did ya know ,the Habs in the history of the draft have only picked 15th overall 1 TIME.......that was back in 1975.

Reactions: bsl

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I could see MB trying a Bargainbin Special for Wayne Simmonds. Simmonds will likely just get show me offers of a year, maybe two.

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad