Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know what to make of Duchene. He is a good player and I don't think we should be passing up on good players for free. On the other hand, I don't know if he is a GREAT player. People may say that he played for a ****ty Sens team, but he played with Stone, Chabot and Tkachuk with all the ice time he wanted. I think he will get around $9 million and I have serious doubts if he is worth it. A fast, goalscoring centerman that can win faceoffs would be nice, but I don't know if he scores 75+ points playing on the Habs. He could very well end up being a 55-60 point player here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I like Duchene as an accessory, but I don't want to pay him that kind of money. That kind of money and term goes to a cornerstone, who you know will make a high impact.

Duchene is pretty inconsistent, and while he is pretty talented, I don't look at him as a driver.

I'd rather take the risk on Karlsson, despite me being one of the pessimistic ones about him. At least with him, you know the impact can be alot higher than Duchene.

Reactions: bsl

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, I know what you mean. I like Duchene as an accessory, but I don't want to pay him that kind of money. That kind of money and term goes to a cornerstone, who you know will make a high impact.

Duchene is pretty inconsistent, and while he is pretty talented, I don't look at him as a driver.

I'd rather take the risk on Karlsson, despite me being one of the pessimistic ones about him. At least with him, you know the impact can be alot higher than Duchene.

Duchene is the type of FA that will get paid immensely and disappear, he is not worth the financial risk one bit if you are already a tiny team like Montreal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Duchene is the type of FA that will get paid immensely and disappear, he is not worth the financial risk one bit if you are already a tiny team like Montreal.

And with Skinner getting 9M/8yrs, you can bet he & his agent will be pushing for 10+ for 7 years...

For that kind of contract, better not be with us!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Duchene opts for the highest bidder, he'll get 10 easy. Likewise, Karlsson gets a minimum of 12.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I’d like to win the lottery (not referring to hockey) too but after years of trying, I know my odds when trying. Even then, we can’t afford all that, another unfortunate part of life cap wise. Tired of mediocre crap, we have to keep rebuilding/retooling and get lucky like all the rest who’re consistently contenders. Luck is a part a lot of fans who’re trigger happy don’t want to accept, or neither don’t want to try because they’d rather watch the team be mediocre then take the chance it takes to win it all in a 31/32 league team.

Oh I know they can’t realistically get all 3, I just don’t want them to sign anyone but any of these 3 names.

I don't know what to make of Duchene. He is a good player and I don't think we should be passing up on good players for free. On the other hand, I don't know if he is a GREAT player. People may say that he played for a ****ty Sens team, but he played with Stone, Chabot and Tkachuk with all the ice time he wanted. I think he will get around $9 million and I have serious doubts if he is worth it. A fast, goalscoring centerman that can win faceoffs would be nice, but I don't know if he scores 75+ points playing on the Habs. He could very well end up being a 55-60 point player here.

I feel the same way. Duchene can’t be your best or highest paid forward. If the team does end up signing him, the only hope for playoff success would be if one or both of Domi/Kotkaniemi take a massive, massive, massive, massive step forward.

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
I love the condescending tone that accompanies “you do know “. If we can’t find what we are looking for this year in free agency , when will we find it? “You do know “ that we haven’t exactly drafted or developed it either. We are a team that should/needs to be creative and aggressive because we lack scoring and defence and there is no immediate help on the way.
Nothing condescending you just chose to read it that way. I am just saying lots of mistakes are made on July 1st and so I would prefer we continue to be smart with our cap space. Not saying that we shouldn’t sign FA but we can’t afford another Karl Alzner type contract in our lineup. Be smart with term and walk away from the 5-7 year contracts except for the very elite FA..ie. Matt Duchene is not an elite FA in my books and shouldn’t get more than 4 years.

Reactions: Habs Icing

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nothing condescending you just chose to read it that way. I am just saying lots of mistakes are made on July 1st and so I would prefer we continue to be smart with our cap space. Not saying that we shouldn’t sign FA but we can’t afford another Karl Alzner type contract in our lineup. Be smart with term and walk away from the 5-7 year contracts except for the very elite FA..ie. Matt Duchene is not an elite FA in my books and shouldn’t get more than 4 years.
You dont actually believe that Duchene will sign for any less that than 7 years do you?

Reactions: Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

No one thought Domi would ever score 70 points, especially with the Habs, but here we are.

The Habs have an offensive system that is tailor made for Duchene. Speed and transition. He is as much a goal scorer as a playmaker with over 100 goals the last 4 seasons (even with one bad season of 18). This team has plenty of playmakers for him.

He’s also going to win opening faceoffs on the PP which should increase its efficiency.

I think there’s plenty of reasons as to why Duchene will perform well offensively in Montreal.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The Skinner deal really did set the bar way up for Duchesne and Panarin. Max term and close to max money is a real possibility now for both.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Skinner deal really did set the bar way up for Duchesne and Panarin. Max term and close to max money is a real possibility now for both.

Then pay max dollar for the very best.

I imagine it also means less money to go around for the lower tier guys.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I think Duchene will get a similar contract to Skinner. Panarin will surpass. On one hand it kind of helps the Habs with Duchene because they are competing with the Preds who don’t have that type of cash to throw around.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think Duchene will get a similar contract to Skinner. Panarin will surpass. On one hand it kind of helps the Habs with Duchene because they are competing with the Preds who don’t have that type of cash to throw around.

True, our cap space might finally be useful.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Domi-Duchene-Shaw
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Byron-Thompson(Poehling)-Weal(Suzuki)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No one thought Domi would ever score 70 points, especially with the Habs, but here we are.

The Habs have an offensive system that is tailor made for Duchene. Speed and transition. He is as much a goal scorer as a playmaker with over 100 goals the last 4 seasons (even with one bad season of 18). This team has plenty of playmakers for him.

He’s also going to win opening faceoffs on the PP which should increase its efficiency.

I think there’s plenty of reasons as to why Duchene will perform well offensively in Montreal.
Domi is also 4 years younger than Duchene. That's a huge difference. Duchene will likely ask for $10 million and he hasnt shown that he can produce at an elite level consistently.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Domi is also 4 years younger than Duchene. That's a huge difference. Duchene will likely ask for $10 million and he hasnt shown that he can produce at an elite level consistently.

If Domi's smart, he'll make his next contract expire when he's eligible to be a ufa, and we'll have to give him his 10 million anyways if we don't want him to go to market. I think he'll prove to be a great talent. With the cap going up to 83 million and beyond in the next few years, good players will be highly valued on the open market. Mike Cammalleri got 6 million from us on a 57 million dollar cap. That's 8.7 against an 83 million dollar cap, percentage of the cap wise. Domi's will prove to be a better overall player than Cammalleri I think.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Panarin and Edler would fill a lot of holes

Thing is, we are underrating Duchene. He probably wont be worth the money but his speed, skills and faceoff effeciency are undeniable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad