Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You would think that if Korshkov is coming over then the Leafs would have at least one other Russian/Russian-speaking player to add to the Marlies at the same time. That's a typical practise.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
oh, I saw this, but was wondering if there was something more recent rather than this speculation. Stats seem underwhelming in the KHL

He is a stay at home D so the numbers aren't an indicator of what he contributes. He also made Russia's 18-19 EHT lineup in and was one of only 3 D that played all 6 games so that suggests they liked his game.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
It makes sense for the Leafs to trade a forward for a defenceman this summer considering there's only two dmen in the system worth protecting in the expansion draft currently signed or risk losing Bracco or another forward.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think a Johnsson/Kapanen for Pesce deal is still brewing. Expect it to happen in the summer.
Sounds reasonable, but I keep wondering if it wouldn’t be a bigger deal, including Kadri for an ELC forward and a pick (give or take on value).
Lots of nice young forwards in the Canes system, and an ELC middle six guy would be nice.
Potentially bold and hard move to sell, but I could see it. And I love ‘nifty mittens’.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I think a Johnsson/Kapanen for Pesce deal is still brewing. Expect it to happen in the summer.
I wouldnt be surprised.

You just cant run a defence of:

Rielly-xxxx
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Just not good enough.

I would rather trade Johnsson than Kapanen though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I will say the leaks to be media around the TDL about the Leafs viewing them as untouchable did seem a bit strategic....

Moving one for one of the Canes D does sort of kill two birds with one stone. Will have to wait and see what happens though

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I wouldnt be surprised.

You just cant run a defence of:

Rielly-xxxx
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren

Just not good enough.

I would rather trade Johnsson than Kapanen though.
Someone who fits beside Reilly with term sets up a very nice shape to the D for next year and well beyond.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

Yeah this is what i was thinking too. I wouldnt be suprised if Marleau was in that trade given that he's only paid 1.25 in actual money after July 1st, and the canes aren't a cap team. 1.25 is insanely cheap for a top 9 FWD

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Sounds reasonable, but I keep wondering if it wouldn’t be a bigger deal, including Kadri for an ELC forward and a pick (give or take on value).
Lots of nice young forwards in the Canes system, and an ELC middle six guy would be nice.
Potentially bold and hard move to sell, but I could see it. And I love ‘nifty mittens’.
Kadri+D prospect for Pesce + Walmark? 675k for Walmark, and Pesce at 4.025 means we only gain 700k next year but add a top pairing D (for us).

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnson Matthew's Nylander
Moore Walmark Kapanen
Petan Gauthier Brown

Reilly Pesce
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Stralman

Sign Stralman for a 1 year deal, move Marleau and Zaitsev for a bag of pucks and us adding in a pick or two.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kadri+D prospect for Pesce + Walmark? 675k for Walmark, and Pesce at 4.025 means we only gain 700k next year but add a top pairing D (for us).

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnson Matthew's Nylander
Moore Walmark Kapanen
Petan Gauthier Brown

Reilly Pesce
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Stralman

Sign Stralman for a 1 year deal, move Marleau and Zaitsev for a bag of pucks and us adding in a pick or two.

This but move Nylander to C instead of getting Walmark and use the extra assets elsewhere. Bracco should get a realistic shot at the roster.

Reactions: kb

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
LEAFS - BLUE JACKETS
Nazem Kadri, Connor Brown, 2nd 2020
For
Boone Jenner, Josh Anderson

LEAFS - HURRICANES
Kasperi Kapanen
For
Brett Pesce

LEAFS - SHARKS
Marleau @ 2.25 Mill Ret
For
Sharks 2nd (Whenever)

LEAFS - COYOTES
Nikita Zaitsev, Jeremy Bracco
For
Lawson Crouse

LEAFS - KINGS
Kyle Clifford
For
Nick Petan, 4th

Anderson - Matthews - Nylander
Crouse - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - - Jenner - - Hyman
Moore - - - Gauthier - - Clifford

Rielly - - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Hainsey - Liljigren
*Sign Hainsey 1.5 x 1

Andersen
Hutchinson

Fire Babcock​

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see Nylander traded.

This team has given Dubas an excuse now with their play since Jan 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFMAN99

horner

May 22, 2007
He is a stay at home D so the numbers aren't an indicator of what he contributes. He also made Russia's 18-19 EHT lineup in and was one of only 3 D that played all 6 games so that suggests they liked his game.
Yushkevich and Danny Markov didnt put up a ton of points.

If comes in the mold of either one of those player, i would be quite happy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

At this point, as a fan of both teams, I'll be surprised if that happens. Faulk is a UFA in 1 year and likely will be gone. TVR is a UFA in 1 year and is a bottom pairing guy. Hamilton is a UFA in 2 years as well. Pesce has been such a stabilizing presence, even playing on the LHD side with Faulk, and is the only RHD signed for more than 2 seasons.

I've learned to never say never, especially with a guy like Waddell at the helm, but I'll be quite surprised if the Canes move Pesce at all, much less for winger.

The addition of Nino, the development of Svechnikov and Necas taking steps the past couple months in Charlotte really seem to lessen the Canes need for another winger. Don't get me wrong, Johnsson or Kapanen would definitely help the Canes, but I think the loss of Pesce might hurt more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad