Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
right side, yup in a New York minute, I'd also be happy to get Pesce + for him, Pesce would instantly become the best RHD on the Leafs, signed to a sweet contract with good term, leaving plenty on the table to resign Kappy and Johnsson, might even be able to resign Gard's if he's willing to take a team friendly deal. Instantly solves lots of problem while drastically improving team depth.

Honestly, Pesce is a good player on a good contract but even if Willie is a 60pts player for the rest of his career, Willie for Pesce straight up is really not a good deal for the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If McDavid demands a trade out of Edmonton why would we offer more than Matthews for McDavid straight up?

I've got doubts many teams can offer up a 40 goal franchise level #1C in his early 20's as a return, it's not like the Oilers are trading him because they want to

If I was the Oilers I'm looking for the best possible player back, not deals with tons of pluses with a lesser value

If McDavid is available for trade, my package is Marner, Zai, Kadri and 1st for McDavid and one of their mid rounders or prospects.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if an underwhelming showing in the playoffs by the Leafs coupled with Connor McDavid whining about the state of affairs in Edmonton will ever cross paths?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the playoffs results will determine if we keep Nylander. Another playoff of being soft, bailing on hits, let the other guy go in the corner first etc. And he is out of here. I hope we see a different Nylander sort of like Pasternak who hits fights for pucks and scores. Interesting to watch that develope.

Yeah I feel like Nylander is on a 7 game trial basis too. See if there are any signs of life, and if not, quietly make preparations to move on from him in the next year or so when the right move comes along.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If McDavid is available for trade, my package is Marner, Zai, Kadri and 1st for McDavid and one of their mid rounders or prospects.

McDavid = $12,500,000 cap hit

For

Marner - 9-10,000,000
Zaitsev $4,500,000
Kadri $4,500,000

The Oilers are tight to the cap as is, and you want to send $18-19 mil to them, with $12,5 coming back?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I wonder if an underwhelming showing in the playoffs by the Leafs coupled with Connor McDavid whining about the state of affairs in Edmonton will ever cross paths?

Would it make more sense to have success in the playoffs to lure McDavid forcing a trade. A crappy playoffs will scare off McDavid, but a successful playoffs will make McDavid think, I might be the piece to help Leafs win the Cup.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
McDavid = $12,500,000 cap hit

For

Marner - 9-10,000,000
Zaitsev $4,500,000
Kadri $4,500,000

The Oilers are tight to the cap as is, and you want to send $18-19 mil to them, with $12,5 coming back?

Need to trade salary and quality. Maybe one of their Dman will come our way too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would it make more sense to have success in the playoffs to lure McDavid forcing a trade. A crappy playoffs will scare off McDavid, but a successful playoffs will make McDavid think, I might be the piece to help Leafs win the Cup.

If McDavid actually targeted Toronto as a destination (on the outside looking in, I'd say the Leafs are where the Oilers ought to be), I'd sell him on the idea of coming here like Tavares and taking his rightful spot on Toronto that is currently occupied by one of Marner or Matthews. Help finish off the job they started.

Question is which one would go back to Edmonton in a package...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah I feel like Nylander is on a 7 game trial basis too. See if there are any signs of life, and if not, quietly make preparations to move on from him in the next year or so when the right move comes along.
Would it make more sense to pump up his stats before trading him, like we did with Dion.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If McDavid actually targeted Toronto as a destination (on the outside looking in, I'd say the Leafs are where the Oilers ought to be), I'd sell him on the idea of coming here like Tavares and taking his rightful spot on Toronto that is currently occupied by one of Marner or Matthews. Help finish off the job they started.

Question is which one would go back to Edmonton in a package...

That’s why I propose Kadri and Marner bc Oilers get a playmaker as good as McDavid play with Drai and have another solid 1B/2A Center in Kadri.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd offer Matthews straight up, but that's it

It's a big upgrade for us and the money is close to even

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Talking about Zaitsev's current contract. & Marleau's. We have some bad contracts too. Never mentioned Hainsey. Never said that JB didn't pay too much, or anything about these guys being great players - just that they didn't have to pay more because of location any more than we would. Not really understanding a lot of your post.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd offer Matthews straight up, but that's it

It's a big upgrade for us and the money is close to even
Marner and Kadri for me. End up saving a mil or two plus having Matthews, JT and McDavid down the middle are just scary.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ya too much. Zaitsev, Brown & 2nd LOL.

Ok, not saying McDavid isnt worth more obviously but show me a better offer other teams can make to edmonton then a 1 for 1 mcdavid vs Matthew's?

Edmonton gets a younger also generational center and you can add the fact that 34 is at lower cap hit then McDavid

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ok, not saying McDavid isnt worth more obviously but show me a better offer other teams can make to edmonton then a 1 for 1 mcdavid vs Matthew's?

Edmonton gets a younger also generational center and you can add the fact that 34 is at lower cap hit then McDavid

Buffalo called and said Eichel for McDavid 1 for 1.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Matthews + Johnsson + 1st gets the conversation started.
If he asks for a trade it won't be till next summer.
At that point, Matthew's should be a top 5C pretty inarguably (especially when you consider age)
Trading the #1C for the #5ishC
Getting a top C back would be huge unless they want to go through yet another rebuild phase.

Not saying Matthew's + is worth McDavid if neither team or player wants out, but if he asks for a trade and people know it I would stake Matthew's + 1st + a d man against almost any other plausible deal that makes a team better.

Like, a team isnt gonna trade Peterson + Boeser + Hughes for him if he wants out. You get the best player but you becomes a worse team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The problem is you've got no wings to play with them

Nylander is nice but then we're looking at Hyman types behind it

I'm not saying those guys couldn't carry **** wingers but it isn't ideal
AJ, Willie, Kap, Brown, Petan, Moore, Bracco, and even Marleau.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The problem is you've got no wings to play with them

Nylander is nice but then we're looking at Hyman types behind it

I'm not saying those guys couldn't carry **** wingers but it isn't ideal
I think we overestimate how much players can carry linemates. I do believe that there's a hierarchy on lines and the best guy is almost always the one deserving the lion's share of credit, but there's a limit. McDavid is at worst the second best player in the league, and his numbers when away from Draisaitl is abysmal. Is that because he's not as good as we think or can only perform because of Draisaitl specifically? Not really. It's because Draisaitl is the only quality linemate he can get, and without one even someone like him is on an island.

I would say that there's a limit to how much elite depth you want on one position. Having a Kadri on a third line is fine, but a Matthews/Tavares? That's a waste to the point that you likely get more out of keeping Marner than adding McDavid.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think the playoffs results will determine if we keep Nylander. Another playoff of being soft, bailing on hits, let the other guy go in the corner first etc. And he is out of here. I hope we see a different Nylander sort of like Pasternak who hits fights for pucks and scores. Interesting to watch that develope.
The fun thing about that is that there are 137 forwards who have who have been hit less than Nylander, among them our very own Marner. There's also a laundry list of high-end players on that list, including guys like Bergeron and Marchand. The point being, there's only value in taking a hit if it's the only way to make a play.

Not saying that Nylander doesn't bail on hits. He does. But it's a rarer occurrence than some would have you think. And the idea has gone to the point where people blame him for dodging hits while retaining the puck. It's like people think he should do stupid things to prove that he can be tough. I'd rather he drive the net more often to prove that.

As for going into the corner first.... all I care about is who comes out with the puck.

Last edited:

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Matthews,Brown, Bracco for McDavid.
I believe McDavid is superior to Matthews and I’m skeptical of Matthews being injury prone. McDavid is signed for 8 years so you wouldn’t have to worry about signing him anytime soon.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So you would take eichel over Matthew?

Ok lol

If I would, it'd be just for the longer time left on the contract. Aside from that, and McDavid's NMC still being far away from kicking in, I'd question if McDavid is any more likely to win with Buffalo than he is with Edmonton?

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
There's no way Oilers will trade McDavid to the Leafs.

But in a world where it was possible, i'd be moving Matthews for him, not Marner.

I'd be willing to add something to Matthews to get it done. But there's about 5/6 who i'd refuse to include.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad