Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Leafs fans are ridiculous...

The probability is quite high. Yelesin may not even be able to stick as a bottom pairing defenseman like Ozhiganov did...
I don't think Oz was even playing top 4 mins in the KHL so the odds that he was gonna be better than Zaits was basically zero. Does anyone know the kind of ice time Yelesin gets in the KHL?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think Oz was even playing top 4 mins in the KHL so the odds that he was gonna be better than Zaits was basically zero. Does anyone know the kind of ice time Yelesin gets in the KHL?
Oz was a unique story. It came to light that he was going to sign with the Leafs before his final K season, so he was basically marginalized right off the team in the K.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
God I'd be quite upset if we traded Dermott after what he seems like he is on the precipice of showing. He's already a top-4 and young, he's Gardiner's replacement. I also cannot see us investing in a high market UFA like Skinner - we really should be saving whatever extra cap space we have to use on our blueline. We can replace scoring wingers through our system.

Yes agree but how much do we want to invest in our defence when sandin and hopefully lilly are gonna be coming up soon, if not next year I fully expect 2 years they are up on entry level deals.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Had some fun

Cap 83M

Trades

Nylander for Pesce, 2nd, RFA rights to McKeown
Brown for Kassian
Kadri and Zaitsev for Faksa and Nichushkin
Marleau and a 4th to Ottawa for a dead prospect

Signings
McKeown 1 year x800k
Hutchinson 1 year x850k
Ferland 3 years x4.5M
Johnsson 2 years x2.5M
Marner 8 years x9.5M (Kuch deal)
Kapanen 3 years x3.5M
Kruger 1 year x900k
Stralman 2 years x4M
McQuaid 1 year x2.25M

Ferland-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kappy
McGinn-Faksa-Hyman
Moore-Kruger-Kassian
Gauthier

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Stralman
Dermott-McQuaid
Rosen-McKeown

Andersen
Hutch

$2600 in cap space LOL.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think we need to shuffle a lot of players around.

Faksa-Nichushkin for Zaitsev and Kadri. Maybe a net loss in value but Nuke expires in 1 year and Faksa is a competent 3C.

Nylander for the best RHD possible.

Hopefully Marleau is okay with retirement....because he's bad and not worth $6.25M anymore. If he goes, I look at Ferland.

Maybe Benning comes in for Brown. Benning is physical and a competent 3rd pairing guy.Wouldn't mind McQuaid but he needs to play 3rd pairing RD. People can say it is Polak all over again but McQuaid can drop them and sticks up for his teammates. Our team is spineless right now.

Rielly-New RHD
Muzzin-X
Dermott-Benning
Rosen
You know that Marleau retiring doesn't remove his cap right?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You know that Marleau retiring doesn't remove his cap right?

I know that if we pay his signing bonus July 1st and we trade him to Ottawa and he retires as a Senator that the Senators would be on the hook for the $6.25M cap hit and have to pay him $0. That would appeal greatly to the Senators.

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I know that if we pay his signing bonus July 1st and we trade him to Ottawa and he retires as a Senator that the Senators would be on the hook for the $6.25M cap hit and have to pay him $0. That would appeal greatly to the Senators.
Even with ~12.5 million in dead money (buyouts, permanent IR players, etc.) The Sens have only 44.9 mill committed to 14 active players with no significant FAs to sign except Ceci.

The Sens might be so desperate for salary to reach the floor they give up assets for retired or injured players.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even with ~12.5 million in dead money (buyouts, permanent IR players, etc.) The Sens have only 44.9 mill committed to 14 active players with no significant FAs to sign except Ceci.

The Sens might be so desperate for salary to reach the floor they give up assets for retired or injured players.

They aren't going to be a hot spot for free agents either. It would literally hinge on Marleau being willing to retire at this point. That is all speculation and I just had fun with CapFriendly.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yes agree but how much do we want to invest in our defence when sandin and hopefully lilly are gonna be coming up soon, if not next year I fully expect 2 years they are up on entry level deals.

If we enter the UFA market for a scoring winger we're really restricting our flexibility.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
They aren't going to be a hot spot for free agents either. It would literally hinge on Marleau being willing to retire at this point. That is all speculation and I just had fun with CapFriendly.
Definitely.

Sens will be interesting to follow this summer if nothing else.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If the Leafs can dump Marleau/Zaitsev I think the smartest option is trade 2/3 of Kapanen/Kadri/Johnsson for D help and offer sheet Kyle Connor 8M/5yrs.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
With Rosen being a logical call-up next year and Bracco going lights out for the Marlies, I can see an unpopular trade coming up: Dermott and Kapanen heading somewhere for the RD we so desperately need.

I can see the value of Bracco, but the types of players that the Leafs need are not more soft perimeter guys. They need the Matthew Tkatchuk & Wilson's of the world.

Kapanen does bring some grit into the line-up. He brings speed & I think he fits anywhere in the line-up. Babcock also likes him on the PK a bit too. With the likeliness of Brown leaving in the off-season, they are going to need more guys with versatility.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I can see the value of Bracco, but the types of players that the Leafs need are not more soft perimeter guys. They need the Matthew Tkatchuk & Wilson's of the world.

Kapanen does bring some grit into the line-up. He brings speed & I think he fits anywhere in the line-up. Babcock also likes him on the PK a bit too. With the likeliness of Brown leaving in the off-season, they are going to need more guys with versatility.

If you can draft a Tkachuk then sure you would love too, but there's maybe 5-10 guys like that in the entire league, it's extremely tough to get unless you get lucky with a Marchand pick in later rounds.

But calling Bracco a soft perimeter player simply because he is small is ridiculous lmao

Look at guys like Brown when he first came up, or Moore and Johnsson now. These guys have huge motors on them and aren't afraid to dig in against much bigger guys. Sure they'll never flatten people out, but if they can win just as many puck battles AND have the skill to make a play, then I'm all for it.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If you can draft a Tkachuk then sure you would love too, but there's maybe 5-10 guys like that in the entire league, it's extremely tough to get unless you get lucky with a Marchand pick in later rounds.

But calling Bracco a soft perimeter player simply because he is small is ridiculous lmao

Look at guys like Brown when he first came up, or Moore and Johnsson now. These guys have huge motors on them and aren't afraid to dig in against much bigger guys. Sure they'll never flatten people out, but if they can win just as many puck battles AND have the skill to make a play, then I'm all for it.

I'm not calling Bracco a soft perimeter player because he's small. I'm calling him that because he's not the type of guy to go in and win a battle, regardless of his size.

And yes, I know those guys are at a premium. You either overpay for them in free agency and hope for the best or you have overpay in a trade for them.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
All these depth signings have made the off-season as simple as we want it to be.

Sign Marner 9 * x (whatever term it takes)
Sign Kap 3 x 2
Trade Brown for 3rd
Trade AJ for 1st at draft
Sign xxx for 1 x 2 (max) cheap veteran LW reclamation project, preferably with some size, multiple position ability a +. Candidates Sheahan, Paajarvi, Reider, Aaltonen

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
xxxx- Kadri -Kapanen
Petan-Goat-Moore
Timashov

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Rosen- (Ozighanov/Liljgren)
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

=82.2-82.4

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Potential problem is Melnyk being enough of a scumbag to try and clawback the SB, I believe @mouser had a reference of an NBA team doing it

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we sign Yelesin and he slots right into the top 4 to replace Zaitsev who is probably gone, what are the odds he's worse than Zaitsev? Gotta be pretty low because Zaitsev brings nothing to the table.

Is Yelesin that good? What type of minutes is he playing in the K?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
All these depth signings have made the off-season as simple as we want it to be.

Sign Marner 9 * x (whatever term it takes)
Sign Kap 3 x 2
Trade Brown for 3rd
Trade AJ for 1st at draft
Sign xxx for 1 x 2 (max) cheap veteran LW reclamation project, preferably with some size, multiple position ability a +. Candidates Sheahan, Paajarvi, Reider, Aaltonen

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
xxxx- Kadri -Kapanen
Petan-Goat-Moore
Timashov

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Rosen- (Ozighanov/Liljgren)
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

=82.2-82.4

I'd try hard to get Kapanen in the high 2s if Marleau's still around, but other than that I'm fine with those trades.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would like to see us reach out to Adam Reideborn about coming over from the SHL. Has been one of the SHL's best goalies for the last 3 years. Just turned 27.

I also wonder what it would take for Juha Metsola to sign a 1 year deal and come over. He has consistently been one of the top goalies in the Liiga, & KHL since 2011 when he first became a starter. He's 30, so I'm sure if he wanted to come over, he would have taken the chance long ago.

Don't go giving these guys 2.5M to come over like Edmonton did with Koskinen, but see if either of them are willing to come over on a 1 year deal. If they don't do well, can terminate the deal and they can go back over.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would like to see us reach out to Adam Reideborn about coming over from the SHL. Has been one of the SHL's best goalies for the last 3 years. Just turned 27.

I also wonder what it would take for Juha Metsola to sign a 1 year deal and come over. He has consistently been one of the top goalies in the Liiga, & KHL since 2011 when he first became a starter. He's 30, so I'm sure if he wanted to come over, he would have taken the chance long ago.

Don't go giving these guys 2.5M to come over like Edmonton did with Koskinen, but see if either of them are willing to come over on a 1 year deal. If they don't do well, can terminate the deal and they can go back over.

The best paid guy in the SHL isn't making $1M, and Liiga less than that. Bringing a mature guy over on a buryable deal to compete for the #2 spot should be a no brainer.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

To be in the AHL?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Both Oz and Yelesin played some international hockey for Russia so you have to assume they had big minutes for their club teams. I would hope they keep Ozhiganov for at least another year. I find his worst issue is being tentative and while he won't get stronger like a 21 year old he has had a season to adapt to the culture and the league and might show another step in year two.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Backup role. Compete with Sparks.

If they don't look good in camp, we can terminate so they can go back to Sweden.

I think if you are bringing over high end Euro vets you give them the AHL time because they will want the guaranteed paycheck for sure, and needs can change fast with an injury or two. The club needs a better #2 option than just the least crappy of Sparks and Hutch. No aging McBackup to confuse next year so the backup should be the clear cut winner out of camp.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If the Leafs can dump Marleau/Zaitsev I think the smartest option is trade 2/3 of Kapanen/Kadri/Johnsson for D help and offer sheet Kyle Connor 8M/5yrs.
Can you imagine, if after all the crap on Sportsnet we ended up offer sheeting someone else's guy there heads would explode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad