Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
i wondering what it might take to get edmontons first this year. it has lots of variables. but say kap is refusing to do a low term aav. wanting 5-6 x 6 which we wont be able to cover. i wonder if we package him and brown together if that might get teh ball rolling. it checks boxes for them a player that can keep up with mcdavid plus 2 rh shot wingers. sure there may have to be some more movement but having kap on the third line isnt going to be beneficial for him expecially if he wants top 6 money. again this is the worst case scenario if he refuses to sign a cheap bridge. i would rather get a sure top 10 pick over a offersheet. it would also allow us to try and recoup the position in the free agent frenzy. maybe Kap brown and our second for there first and third or something along those lines. its hard to tell i know we hold him to a high standard so it would have to be a good deal for us to do it.

which would possibly put us in position to take Broberg or byram or a couple centers/wingers in that area as well

Depending on where Edmonton is drafting this could be real interesting. Mostly because it gets us another ELC deal.

Really only makes sense if the player is able to step in next year and help us, or if we can find a better use for the 3 or 3 million in the free agent market.
Byram would be insane, as he is very similar to a Gardiner type but who is better defensively (according to scouts)
Dach (6'4 C) Zegras (5'11 C) Boldy (6' c/rw) Broberg (6'3 LHD) would also all add different but needed assets.

Maybe?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I have a question about the cap. Lets for instance say that a team next year has 550k in cap space and one of their goaltenders get injured (not serious but wont be able to play for a few games). So the team is forced to call up a goalie (emergency loan), who makes 900k. Would this team be able to do this or would they be over the cap. Do emergency loans count against the cap? Would they have to put the injured goalie on IR

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If Dorrion falls out of a banana tree, maybe. I think the ask would be Kadri.

For Demelo? i dont think he's THAT good. Hes also going to be a UFA at the end of next season and will likely walk

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
For Demelo? i dont think he's THAT good. Hes also going to be a UFA at the end of next season and will likely walk
Well, if he is an answer, which he is likely not, then, he can be had for nothing as a UFA.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Depending on where Edmonton is drafting this could be real interesting. Mostly because it gets us another ELC deal.

Really only makes sense if the player is able to step in next year and help us, or if we can find a better use for the 3 or 3 million in the free agent market.
Byram would be insane, as he is very similar to a Gardiner type but who is better defensively (according to scouts)
Dach (6'4 C) Zegras (5'11 C) Boldy (6' c/rw) Broberg (6'3 LHD) would also all add different but needed assets.

Maybe?

we are gonna have to make shrewd moves like this. to restock and adjust till we can find a happy medium with the cap. like the penguins had to when they flipped staal for a top 10 pick. someones getting sacrificed this summer if they don't take short low aav contracts. but as you said everything outside the the top 5-12 could be really good assets for us in the future and open a bit of much needed space for the time being

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Trading Kadri honestly wouldn't be that crazy.

Think about it. Tavares/Matthews are off limits.

Marner isn't going anywhere with his contract situation (at least in a trade)

Selling low on Nylander is a fool's errand.

Trading Kadri for that RHD who has similar term (at least 2 years left), isn't the worst idea.

Oh, and trade connor brown for matt benning right now

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If Dubas woke up one day and realized he overpaid for Matthews I would love to see:

Jones, Anderson, Dubois for Matthews, Liljegren, Brown, Zaitsev. Then flip Marleau to the sens with Engvall and a 2021 3rd, or Bracco and a lesser pick. Trade Kapanen for Pesce. Offer sheet Kyle Connor 8mx5 years which would cost a 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Connor-Dubois-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Anderson
Moore-Gauthier-Bracco/Engvall/Petan/Marchment/UFA

Rielly-Jones
Muzzin-Pesce
Dermott-Rosen/Ozhiganov

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If Dubas woke up one day and realized he overpaid for Matthews I would love to see:

Jones, Anderson, Dubois for Matthews, Liljegren, Brown, Zaitsev. Then flip Marleau to the sens with Engvall and a 2021 3rd, or Bracco and a lesser pick. Trade Kapanen for Pesce. Offer sheet Kyle Connor 8mx5 years which would cost a 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Connor-Dubois-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Anderson

Rielly-Jones
Muzzin-Pesce
Dermott-Rosen/Ozhiganov
Yeah, but Dubas ins't a complete and utter Pejorative Slur, unlike those who wish to trade Matthews.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, trading our best player ever would be a great move! Absolutely nothing could go wrong if we did that.
way too premature to be crowning Mathews as the best Leaf player ever, get a grip on reality, lots to look forward to, but he's not ever close to being the "best Leaf player ever"

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
way too premature to be crowning Mathews as the best Leaf player ever, get a grip on reality, lots to look forward to, but he's not ever close to being the "best Leaf player ever"

He has the most talent ever for a Leaf

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Connor-Dubois-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Anderson

Rielly-Jones
Muzzin-Pesce
Dermott-Rosen/Ozhiganov
Did Marleau also wake up that day thinking "what's the dumbest mistake I could make today?"

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He has the most talent ever for a Leaf
what, are you like 20 years old or something? Best Leafs ever, that's too funny. He might turn out to be, but he hasn't done squat to warrant even being in the conversation to date.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
all the great talk about getting a Pesce, Hamilton won't matter one bit. You can get Doughty here and that won't help what ails this team. The stretch pass system hurts the team and exposes the D. The D don't have a simple 5 foot outlet instead they have to throw in down half the ice in a 50-50 battle and hope the forward wins it otherwise it is coming right back at them.

Look at the game Saturday. How many times did the 31th place Sens exit their zone with the puck and speed and flew by Leaf stick checks. They generated speed and zone entries from their own zone. Less talented players executed the system to perfection.

I just don't get the system the Leafs play and no matter what D you bring here getting out of their zone will always be an issue until it is changed. Let Kadri, Tavares, Matthews all handle the puck in their zone and move the puck as they have more puck skill than all the D except Reilly. Put the puck on their stick for more time than the D should have it. Winger stay in the zone so they can support the D take away point shots which results in cycling against the Leafs.

I don't have a Stanley Cup ring as a coach so what do I know

Reactions: TheShape and ToMaLe

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would for Pesce
I'd do this too, might weaken the middle, but the need on D, especially the right side makes it a no brainer. Easier to fill Kadri's absence then acquiring a quality RHD on a dream contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad