Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see Nylander traded.

This team has given Dubas an excuse now with their play since Jan 1.

He's a big ticket. We clearly need help at RD and we do need to add some grit. I really wish that Pietrangelo-Nylander thing worked out. People can say what they want about Pietrangelo but elite players can keep going until 35-36. He hasn't had a major injury like knee or head.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's a big ticket. We clearly need help at RD and we do need to add some grit. I really wish that Pietrangelo-Nylander thing worked out. People can say what they want about Pietrangelo but elite players can keep going until 35-36. He hasn't had a major injury like knee or head.
if the GM had traded him instead of resigning him the Leafs D would not be the train wreck it is, sure the offense would be marginally less potent, but balanced teams have a better chance of success.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
if the GM had traded him instead of resigning him the Leafs D would not be the train wreck it is, sure the offense would be marginally less potent, but balanced teams have a better chance of success.

I think we need to shuffle a lot of players around.

Faksa-Nichushkin for Zaitsev and Kadri. Maybe a net loss in value but Nuke expires in 1 year and Faksa is a competent 3C.

Nylander for the best RHD possible.

Hopefully Marleau is okay with retirement....because he's bad and not worth $6.25M anymore. If he goes, I look at Ferland.

Maybe Benning comes in for Brown. Benning is physical and a competent 3rd pairing guy.Wouldn't mind McQuaid but he needs to play 3rd pairing RD. People can say it is Polak all over again but McQuaid can drop them and sticks up for his teammates. Our team is spineless right now.

Rielly-New RHD
Muzzin-X
Dermott-Benning
Rosen

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think we need to shuffle a lot of players around.

Faksa-Nichushkin for Zaitsev and Kadri. Maybe a net loss in value but Nuke expires in 1 year and Faksa is a competent 3C.

Nylander for the best RHD possible.

Hopefully Marleau is okay with retirement....because he's bad and not worth $6.25M anymore. If he goes, I look at Ferland.

Maybe Benning comes in for Brown. Benning is physical and a competent 3rd pairing guy.Wouldn't mind McQuaid but he needs to play 3rd pairing RD. People can say it is Polak all over again but McQuaid can drop them and sticks up for his teammates. Our team is spineless right now.

Rielly-New RHD
Muzzin-X
Dermott-Benning
Rosen
something needs fixing. GM wants a team full of soft offensively gifted players, coach wants grinders and "gud pros." Even Forest Gump can see this is a recipe for disaster. Somethings gotta give........

upload_2019-3-20_12-49-26.jpeg

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

It's getting close to a decade now but I remember Ryan Hollweg knocking a rookie Pietrangelo out cold. And I think he has had a few head dings in his career since but he's rugged guy who always recovers. That may effect him into his 30's.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's getting close to a decade now but I remember Ryan Hollweg knocking a rookie Pietrangelo out cold. And I think he has had a few head dings in his career since but he's rugged guy who always recovers. That may effect him into his 30's.

I do remember Hollweg running him but I also think he got up and didn't miss time but this is also going by memory so I may be wrong on this but I recall being relieved that the plug didn't hurt a promising young kid.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Yushkevich and Danny Markov didnt put up a ton of points.

If comes in the mold of either one of those player, i would be quite happy.

Those guys were very good in the old NHL. They would get exposed for lack of foot speed and puck skills.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Is that a fact? None of the last 3 cup winners were particularly balanced, they won through their strong forward group and goaltending.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Is that a fact? None of the last 3 cup winners were particularly balanced, they won through their strong forward group and goaltending.
I'm not a stat nerd, but I'd bet that historically balanced teams with a emphasis on strong D have won more cups than teams that had a weaker defense and stronger offensive numbers, regardless of the last 3 cup winning teams, but I'm more of a traditionalist than a flavor of the month kind of guy.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
With Rosen being a logical call-up next year and Bracco going lights out for the Marlies, I can see an unpopular trade coming up: Dermott and Kapanen heading somewhere for the RD we so desperately need.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With Rosen being a logical call-up next year and Bracco going lights out for the Marlies, I can see an unpopular trade coming up: Dermott and Kapanen heading somewhere for the RD we so desperately need.

I wouldnt be moving either, specially dermott, he seems to be comfortable playing either left or right just judging by the way he plays. I hope he goes with rielly when he returns to test this.

This summer will be very interesting though. Not just marners contract but what will happen with gardiner, zaitsev and Marleau because this will determine what else we could do with rest of roster.
I love the idea of trying to sign this ferland guy depending on his ask of course which would instead allow us to move johnson for rhd help, depends on Johnson's ask also lol.

Would skinner be an option at all if something is done with marleau and zaitsev's contract?

Because ideally
Skinner tavares marner
Ferland Matthew's nylander
Hyman kadri kapanen

Looks balanced for me and then if a Johnson plus can grab a Hamilton or trouba preferably

Rielly trouba
Muzzin zaits cheap replacement
Dermott...XYZ

Last edited:

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Hopefully we don’t overpay like Our last trade

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I still think July 2nd Leafs trade Marleau to like Arizona and he reiters the day after being paid his signing bonus.
He is a smart guy, he probably knows his play is deteriorating this year and by next year he will likely be a really good 4th liner or a below average 3w.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
AJ Tavares Marner
Moore/UFA Kadri Kap
Moore/UFA Gauthier Petan

Pat Maroon would be amazing as a 3W with Kadri. Anything around 3m would be solid.
Magnus Paajarvi is also a guy I like a ton who costs almost nothing. Big body, skates like the wind, pks well, and has really developed his play in his own zone. Less offensive upside than Maroon, but if the team is looking at being fast as possible he is a cheap free agent.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
When we picked up Merzian I think we paid too much he hasn’t been very good lately first round pics don’t go on trees I think at best he’s a top 4 d
Overpaid eh? Well, a #2 on a cup winning team doesn't grow on trees. The fact that Babcock F'ed him up is not on him.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Overpaid eh? Well, a #2 on a cup winning team doesn't grow on trees. The fact that Babcock F'ed him up is not on him.
Do you think he’s really that good of a player wow you must be Peace out

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see Nylander traded.

This team has given Dubas an excuse now with their play since Jan 1.

If he does opt to make a bigger move, id say the higher odds are one of Kapanen or Johnsson would be more likely candidates given their contract situations.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
If he does opt to make a bigger move, id say the higher odds are one of Kapanen or Johnsson would be more likely candidates given their contract situations.
I don’t think it would Be as easy to trade Nylander 5 goals in 45 games That’s like going to work every day and working for an hour a day how long have a job for ?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I wouldnt be moving either, specially dermott, he seems to be comfortable playing either left or right just judging by the way he plays. I hope he goes with rielly when he returns to test this.

This summer will be very interesting though. Not just marners contract but what will happen with gardiner, zaitsev and Marleau because this will determine what else we could do with rest of roster.
I love the idea of trying to sign this ferland guy depending on his ask of course which would instead allow us to move johnson for rhd help, depends on Johnson's ask also lol.

Would skinner be an option at all if something is done with marleau and zaitsev's contract?

Because ideally
Skinner tavares marner
Ferland Matthew's nylander
Hyman kadri kapanen

Looks balanced for me and then if a Johnson plus can grab a Hamilton or trouba preferably

Rielly trouba
Muzzin zaits cheap replacement
Dermott...XYZ

God I'd be quite upset if we traded Dermott after what he seems like he is on the precipice of showing. He's already a top-4 and young, he's Gardiner's replacement. I also cannot see us investing in a high market UFA like Skinner - we really should be saving whatever extra cap space we have to use on our blueline. We can replace scoring wingers through our system.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If we sign Yelesin and he slots right into the top 4 to replace Zaitsev who is probably gone, what are the odds he's worse than Zaitsev? Gotta be pretty low because Zaitsev brings nothing to the table.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think we’ll have a shot at Pietrangelo as a UFA after next year. From Toronto, boyhood friends with Tavares. Would be a nice option in 2020 if our defencemen prospects don’t pan out.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Dermott and Kapanen in the same deal is a non-starter in my opinion unless you are acquiring a superstar defenseman. Even with that the dman coming back would cost extremely more in salary then the Leafs can afford. Acquiring a dman like Pesce shouldn't cost you those 2 players. If it does it is overpayment by the Leafs and shouldn't be done. Dermott in my opinion is a replacement for Gardiner long term on the left side of the D. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If we sign Yelesin and he slots right into the top 4 to replace Zaitsev who is probably gone, what are the odds he's worse than Zaitsev? Gotta be pretty low because Zaitsev brings nothing to the table.

Leafs fans are ridiculous...

The probability is quite high. Yelesin may not even be able to stick as a bottom pairing defenseman like Ozhiganov did...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->