Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't even think Nylander would get it done today.
We are currently dealing him as a 60 point winger. Not many 60 point wingers get a top 4 RHD.
Nylander will grow into that I'm sure but if you are trading Parayko, you want that now.

Parayko is pretty good but I think you're exaggerating how good he really is. Nylander for Parayko on paper is definitely very close in terms of value.

The Blues want a center apparently. It would have nothing to do with Nylander not being valued enough.

I'll be honest, looking at their roster, I think they need Parayko a lot more than a center. It's getting pretty bleak on their defense.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Is he in the same class as a Trouba/ Hamilton type defencemen or step below, as I said really haven’t seen him much. I watch the Jets, Oilers and flames or whoever the leafs are playing. If he was a legit top pairing guy then I’d trade Nylander but he’d have to be pretty much guaranteed top pairing guy or I’d keep Nylander.

Last edited:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't even think Nylander would get it done today.
We are currently dealing him as a 60 point winger. Not many 60 point wingers get a top 4 RHD.
Nylander will grow into that I'm sure but if you are trading Parayko, you want that now.
Plus, I think they still want a C.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I would be a big fan of bringing in Charlie Coyle and taking on a 1 year cap dump.
Same here. This is a perfect situation for the Leafs! A 3C and a 1-year cap dump that we can afford. I doubt the price would be too high for this trade as well. (not sure what they would want)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Wonder if the leafs try to trade for a guy like Charlie Coylem from friedman:
7. It’s believed Minnesota has asked teams interested in Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter and Jason Zucker to take Tyler Ennis as part of the package.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know why Coyle makes any sense unless they plan on moving him to center permanently.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Man I’d be so happy if we could somehow get Edmonton’s 10th overall for a package centering around Gardiner and a lower tier prospect or two.

I’d even add a conditional pick which varies depending on if he signs an extension or re-signs there.

To Toronto:
10th overall pick

To Edmonton:
Jake Gardiner
Jeremy Bracco
2nd rounder in 2020 that changes to a 5th rounder if he extends or re-signs in Edmonton.

I’d use the pick to select the top RHD still available out of:
Dobson
Boqvist
Bouchard

or even one of the LHD:
Hughes
Smith

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Man I’d be so happy if we could somehow get Edmonton’s 10th overall for a package centering around Gardiner and a lower tier prospect or two.

I’d even add a conditional pick which varies depending on if he signs an extension or re-signs there.

To Toronto:
10th overall pick

To Edmonton:
Jake Gardiner
Jeremy Bracco
2nd rounder in 2020 that changes to a 5th rounder if he extends or re-signs in Edmonton.

Dobson
Boqvist
Bouchard

or even one of the LHD:
Hughes
Smith

I'm not sure any of those players will be better than Jake. I'd rather add to this team right now than take away from it.

Jake is a good player. Don't fall for the grass is greener stuff!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd want in on bidding for some of those Minnesota forwards. But if they insist on taking Ennis, that would have to wait until after the JT situation is settled. Without JT, the Leafs absolutely could take on the last year of Ennis' contract, they might even find a way to use him as well. I don't get the urgency for the Wild to shed that much salary unless they're clearing space for a $10M AAV player. They've got at least $14M to sign Dumba and Zucker.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't know why Coyle makes any sense unless they plan on moving him to center permanently.
Coyle could make sense if you are planning to move Nylander to center on a permanent basis.
Playing with Matthews, Coyle on RW would be an upgrade on Brown.
You could have a Johnsson/Matthews/Coyle line and have Hyman flank Nylander with Kapanen if required.
It depends on these factors and cost.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Speaking of poor puck skills... Preparing for the barrage of rotten tomatoes and banana peels... could Luke Schenn be the replacement for Roman Polak? Personally I think Polak's the superior player: better skater, better with the puck. Babcock seems to want the rugged RH defensive defender type.

Babcock wants and feels he needs a physical Dman to help compensate for a small soft team in terms of player personnel.

Reactions: Duffman955

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure any of those players will be better than Jake. I'd rather add to this team right now than take away from it.

Jake is a good player. Don't fall for the grass is greener stuff!
My mind on Jake was made up in game 7.
The fact that Dermott is ready to step into his role and we have a glut of LHD ready for the 6/7 role (Bergman, Rosen) and the fact that he’s a UFA next off-season and I do t want to lose more UFA’s for nothing (JVR, Bozak, Leo) just makes me want him gone even more.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’d be down for Coyle and Ennis.

We can bury Ennis, or even retain 50% and flip him.

The price would be the interesting thing

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
My time to vent....

I am sick and tired of the Leafs getting Toronto born players via trade or FA in the latter stages of their careers. We lost out to Stamkos and personally I can understand why. He stayed with a team that was young, thriving for a Stanley Cup and to be honest the tax situation there in Florida is a lot better then in Toronto when it comes to how much he can make overall.

But from a Tavares perspective, I just don't get it. The Islanders suck in comparison to the Leafs. They have no goalie, no stadium and have been perennial losers ever since hes been on the team. He has an opportunity to play for his boyhood team the Leafs, and be part of bringing the Stanley Cup to Toronto and make a dynasty here. He wouldn't be the focal point of the Leafs with superstars in the making like Matthews, Marner and Nylander (to a certain degree). He would be part of the solution and not the solution. And on top of it all, he gets to be home!!! Close to family and friends while making a good amount of money doing it.

If Tavares doesn't take this opportunity to come home he's an idiot. Plain and simple!!!! The Stamkos and Tavares situations are totally different. Stamkos had a choice to come home with nothing in place for the Leafs. They weren't a contender, with young up and coming players throughout the organization. Tampa Bay was. Easy choice for Stamkos as far as I am concerned I probably would have made the same decision.

But Tavares picking the Islanders over the Leafs!!!! Sorry he's an idiot if he doesn't come home. Because this off season, Toronto should be the Tampa Bay for Tavares as it was for Stamkos. No brainer.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would Kapanen, Carrick and leafs first be fair value for Parayko? Derger mentioned that he might be traded on the radio during leafs breakfast. I don’t watch alot of blues games but he looked good in the world championships I thought.

No.

A deal for Parayko would involve Kadri, Nylander or Marner.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
My time to vent....

I am sick and tired of the Leafs getting Toronto born players via trade or FA in the latter stages of their careers. We lost out to Stamkos and personally I can understand why. He stayed with a team that was young, thriving for a Stanley Cup and to be honest the tax situation there in Florida is a lot better then in Toronto when it comes to how much he can make overall.

But from a Tavares perspective, I just don't get it. The Islanders suck in comparison to the Leafs. They have no goalie, no stadium and have been perennial losers ever since hes been on the team. He has an opportunity to play for his boyhood team the Leafs, and be part of bringing the Stanley Cup to Toronto and make a dynasty here. He wouldn't be the focal point of the Leafs with superstars in the making like Matthews, Marner and Nylander (to a certain degree). He would be part of the solution and not the solution. And on top of it all, he gets to be home!!! Close to family and friends while making a good amount of money doing it.

If Tavares doesn't take this opportunity to come home he's an idiot. Plain and simple!!!! The Stamkos and Tavares situations are totally different. Stamkos had a choice to come home with nothing in place for the Leafs. They weren't a contender, with young up and coming players throughout the organization. Tampa Bay was. Easy choice for Stamkos as far as I am concerned I probably would have made the same decision.

But Tavares picking the Islanders over the Leafs!!!! Sorry he's an idiot if he doesn't come home. Because this off season, Toronto should be the Tampa Bay for Tavares as it was for Stamkos. No brainer.

So he's an idiot because you don't understand why he won't sign with Toronto?

Yah makes sense.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
My time to vent....

What makes you think Toronto is his home? He may have grown up here, but he has been playing in New York for the past 9 years, so maybe he considers that home. This kind of attitude is ridiculous.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why would St. Louis trade a rare type of defender like Parayko if not for something really special? The real question is why would St. Louis be shopping this guy at all?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

To Toronto:
10th overall pick

To Edmonton:
Jake Gardiner
Jeremy Bracco

Dobson
Boqvist
Bouchard

or even one of the LHD:
Hughes
Smith

I think Gardiner could get 10th overall straight up. Or maybe there is a conditional 2nd in 2020 based on whether he re-signs, but that would be all or nothing.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
My time to vent....

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s an idiot, but if he stays there I think it shows that winning a cup is not a top priority for him.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So he's an idiot because you don't understand why he won't sign with Toronto?

Yah makes sense.

He's an idiot because there is no reason not to and staying in NY would be a huge mistake if his goal is to be a winner. He will never win a cup in NY. His best chance is to come home and do it. It's win-win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad