Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kyle Dubas on drafting 25th in the 2018 NHL Draft: "It’s a lively and fluid situation... It’s tough to predict right now" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Pierre Dorion said today that things are pretty active trade talk wise. He’s in a whole different situation than perhaps you are right now, but is it busy for you as well? Are you hearing more than usual?
Dubas
: I mean, this is my second time heading into the draft in this position. My first time in the full-time role. I’d say it is probably equal to 2015, just from my previous experience. It doesn’t seem… we were in a different spot then as well. We were completely rebuilding and everything was on the table. We had a big trade in the works that didn’t come to fruition for a couple more days after the draft and on the eve of free agency. Right now, we are in active talks with everybody. Teams are stating their intentions and what they’d like to do. There have been a few trades already, of course. We are just monitoring everything and seeing if there is a trade that can improve us.

Oh boy I wish I knew what the trade was. Nice read too.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Dubas prefers depth in goaltending over trading one of organization’s netminders
DALLAS — Now that the Maple Leafs have a glut of goaltenders, does general manager Kyle Dubas anticipate trading one of them?

“It’s nice to have those assets,” Dubas said on Thursday, “and very hard when you don’t. We’re happy with our depth there right now and if there is something that is enticing for anybody, we will maybe look at it, but right now we’re content with our depth."

“I think we would rather have depth in that position and not worry about trying to scramble and fill it.”

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Speaking of poor puck skills... Preparing for the barrage of rotten tomatoes and banana peels... could Luke Schenn be the replacement for Roman Polak? Personally I think Polak's the superior player: better skater, better with the puck. Babcock seems to want the rugged RH defensive defender type.

I don’t think Dubas is going to be interested in either one.

And realistically speaking, even if Babcock wants a player eith the same skill set/archetype as Ploak he’d likely prefer a better version. Polak at best right now is a #7

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Wonder if the Leafs will look into taking on Ennis' contract. I know people have suggested it before and it makes perfect sense cause Ennis only has 1 year left on his contract for 4.6m. Can easily eat that cap this year.

All 3 really sucked for Minnesota in the playoffs. Nino and Kadri *hate* each other. Coyle I think is massively overrated (and is a winger, not a centre), Zucker I love but he's another small guy...

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Is trading Andreas Borgman something we could do or does it send the wrong message to present and future Euro FA's? I think Dermott and Rosen are currently better options and they are currently behind Rielly and Gardiner as is.

If a team demands a D prospect in return I think Borgman would provide a lot more value than Nielsen, who would be the step down.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Wonder if the Leafs will look into taking on Ennis' contract. I know people have suggested it before and it makes perfect sense cause Ennis only has 1 year left on his contract for 4.6m. Can easily eat that cap this year.

This seems like exactly the kind of move the Leafs will be looking to make. Grab a cap dump salary for one year to take a discount on a real asset. Ennis is a possibility. Not many other glaring options out there that I can see.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is trading Andreas Borgman something we could do or does it send the wrong message to present and future Euro FA's? I think Dermott and Rosen are currently better options and they are currently behind Rielly and Gardiner as is.

If a team demands a D prospect in return I think Borgman would provide a lot more value than Nielsen, who would be the step down.

I'd be okay with moving Borgman if it got us value but I would like to see how Rosen looks against NHL competition again. He looked bad in the NHL last time but I think we need to give him another shot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
While I agree with you guys in theory, you still need to give your coach a bone. If Babcock felt he needed a guy like Schenn and the price wasn't crippling, it should be done. Gotta keep up the working relationship etc.

That being said, I hope we don't see a Polak on the team this year.

**** that

I'm against giving Babcock another big plug on the backend, he can't help himself that "depth guy" will be shoehorned into the line-up so fast your head will spin

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I would be a big fan of bringing in Charlie Coyle and taking on a 1 year cap dump.

Someone suggested on the main boards a deal around Chris Tanev for Connor Brown. This also seems interesting.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I would be a big fan of bringing in Charlie Coyle and taking on a 1 year cap dump.

Someone suggested on the main boards a deal around Chris Tanev for Connor Brown. This also seems interesting.

Coyle would be good. Tanev Glass only for conditional stuff.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Speaking of poor puck skills... Preparing for the barrage of rotten tomatoes and banana peels... could Luke Schenn be the replacement for Roman Polak? Personally I think Polak's the superior player: better skater, better with the puck. Babcock seems to want the rugged RH defensive defender type.

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Schenn. However, besides the fact that he isn't a great player, he's a terrible fit for the current Leafs build. The Leafs are probably looking for a vet replacement for Polak, but they are looking for a skating upgrade which Schenn is not.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I’ve been suggesting this for a while.

Wild are looking to shed salary and the Leafs have plenty of space.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
All 3 really sucked for Minnesota in the playoffs. Nino and Kadri *hate* each other. Coyle I think is massively overrated (and is a winger, not a centre), Zucker I love but he's another small guy...
I’m a big fan of bringing in Zucker.
Can play like Hyman but had 30 goals, 30 assists. Same age as Hyman. This I would like.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I’ve been suggesting this for a while.

Wild are looking to shed salary and the Leafs have plenty of space.

Coyle would be excellent. Well worth taking on Ennis' contract if we could get Coyle at a decent price. Ennis could be useful depth as well.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Can also see Orpik moved in a cap dump scenario this weekend.
Could be a good fit, depending on the return.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Coyle+ Ennis gives us a 3C on a one year and a power forward. As much as i want spots for some of our Marlies to earn...This is a good deal. We need some forwards with size and we need some more talent up the middle. This gives us both. I know Ennis has been playing a lot of wing but he could easily play C again especially against lesser competition...He could even be 4C.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

I think he's referring to the Kessel deal.

The other interesting part of that interview is that he said there were a "few" RFAs they didn't intend to qualify. The Leafs only have 5 remaining: Nylander, Johnsson, Holl, Marincin, and Gauthier. The first two are going to be re-signed and the third is probably pretty likely. He mentioned they are in contact with Marincin's people. Even if he conflated RFAs with free agents in general, it certainly looks as if Goat may be the odd man out.

Reactions: PatrickMerlot

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
I think he's referring to the Kessel deal.

The other interesting part of that interview is that he said there were a "few" RFAs they didn't intend to qualify. The Leafs only have 5 remaining: Nylander, Johnsson, Holl, Marincin, and Gauthier. The first two are going to be re-signed and the third is probably pretty likely. He mentioned they are in contact with Marincin's people. Even if he conflated RFAs with free agents in general, it certainly looks as if Goat may be the odd man out.
We're already really thin at C and if the Goat isn't qualified, we'll have..... five guys(?) between the Leafs and the Marlies. Everyone talks about our defense but I'm most interested to see what the plan is at center.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marincin is the perfect example of balancing analytics and the eye test. He isn't an NHL D man for me, with a period. I don't care what he does in the AHL, it is irrelevant. I don't care what his analytics say, he can't do the job. I will watch how Dubas manages Marincin intently, it will say a lot about his ability to read legit NHL talent imho. His comment yesterday, colour me unimpressed to be honest.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Would Kapanen, Carrick and leafs first be fair value for Parayko? Derger mentioned that he might be traded on the radio during leafs breakfast. I don’t watch alot of blues games but he looked good in the world championships I thought.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Would Kapanen, Carrick and leafs first be fair value for Parayko? Derger mentioned that he might be traded on the radio during leafs breakfast. I don’t watch alot of blues games but he looked good in the world championships I thought.

Not a chance. If they trade him they’d want a straight up elite young forward. Starts with nylander, I’d say we don’t add buts possible we may have to

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not a chance. If they trade him they’d want a straight up elite young forward. Starts with nylander, I’d say we don’t add buts possible we may have to
I don't even think Nylander would get it done today.
We are currently dealing him as a 60 point winger. Not many 60 point wingers get a top 4 RHD.
Nylander will grow into that I'm sure but if you are trading Parayko, you want that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad