Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 14m14 minutes ago
More
There are many things to look at if you're a Leafs fan tonight but one thing has been the same since Day 1 last October: this is a team that needs to bolster its blue-line to take the next step. Easier said than done, I know. But that's where the fix is.

The fix is NOT Tavares... Repeatedly I've been told he's the answer, that our D is good enough... ya, no.... we need D.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
We're fine at the C position.
Just need to acquire a few quality D-Men.
Only D-Men worth keeping: Dermott, Zaitsev, Rielly.

Others can GTFO. Especially you Gardiner.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 14m14 minutes ago
More
There are many things to look at if you're a Leafs fan tonight but one thing has been the same since Day 1 last October: this is a team that needs to bolster its blue-line to take the next step. Easier said than done, I know. But that's where the fix is.

The fix is NOT Tavares... Repeatedly I've been told he's the answer, that our D is good enough... ya, no.... we need D.

We need forwards who aren't afraid to battle and shy away from a bit of contact. Teams with D cores similar to ours have had success but I do agree defence should be our main focus.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson Tavares Brown
Grundstrom Aaltonen Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly ______
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick Polak

Andersen
Mcelhinney/Sparks

Gardiner for top 4 RHD

Reactions: phillipmike

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The hot takes are going to be crazy around here for the next couple days.

Gardiner had a terrible terrible game but he's still a good player. Andersen had a terrible game but he's still a good goaltender.

They will have an interesting off-season with so many players pending UFAs. They really need to get creative and if Lamoriello is still around, he needs to make something happen.

Reactions: HansonBro and Mork

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
You mean the 20 year old kid in his second season who didn't play like prime Steve Yzerman? So sorry to hear he disappointed you so much.

Get outta here with that nonsense

No the guy with 1 goal and 1 assist in 7 playoff games this season. He's trash. Even Phil Kessel was able to produce in the playoffs when he was with the Leafs.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I like except a stronger 4th centre and no Carrick or Polak at all. Too tempting for Babs to play Polak

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The hot takes are going to be crazy around here for the next couple days.

Gardiner had a terrible terrible game but he's still a good player. Andersen had a terrible game but he's still a good goaltender.

They will have an interesting off-season with so many players pending UFAs. They really need to get creative and if Lamoriello is still around, he needs to make something happen.

Ready to move on from Gardiner at this point. I am not advocating for giving him away because that would be stupid but if there is a way to upgrade our defense, i'd like to move on at this point.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - XXX - Nylander
Grundstrom XXX - Brown

Rielly - XXX
Dermott - Zaitsev
XXX - XXX

Andersen
McBackup/Sparks

Fill in the holes

Reactions: Yackiberg8

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ready to move on from Gardiner at this point. I am not advocating for giving him away because that would be stupid but if there is a way to upgrade our defense, i'd like to move on at this point.

I was ready to move on from Bozak and even JVR but that didn't happen, so I'm not sure if it will happen. He's still a quality player and you don't replace 50 points from a defenseman from a flick of the fingers, especially not at his cap hit.

I'm fine if they trade him but it better be a darn good trade.

Reactions: Mork

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Trade Gardiner + Nylander for a top pairing RD
Trade Leivo + Carrick + Pick for middle six LWer.
Sign Tavares

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
LWer-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Brown
Gauthier

Rielly-RD
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-Hainsey
Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks