Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Chia reportedly says he’s prepared to move the 10th OA pick for a quality d-man....

Cmon Dubas, get it done
According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Edmonton Oilers are open to moving the No. 10 overall pick in the 2018 NHL draft for an offensive defenceman to add to their roster, preferably with a right-hand shot.

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-open-to-moving-no-10-overall-pick-1.1119343
The Edmonton Oilers are open for business when it comes to the 10th overall pick in Friday's NHL Draft.

Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed Thursday that he's willing to move the pick if he can get his desired return.

"We would look to move the pick if the right player is available... I've had some discussions with some teams," Chiarelli told reporters in Dallas.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie said Wednesday he believes the Oilers are looking for an offensive defenceman to add to their roster, preferably with a right-hand shot.

“No question about it," McKenzie said when asked if the Oilers are willing to trade their pick. "The problem they are running into is that as much as they’d be prepared for the right player to give up the 10th overall pick in the draft, they don’t see that player out there right now. Yeah, they’d like a right-shot offensive defenceman. Everyone wants one of those. And Edmonton desperately needs one, but if they had a really good left-shot offensive defenceman who became available, they’d certainly look at that too for that 10th pick or some other assets. That’s their number one priority, their number one goal is to try and get that."

"The guy they really want, I think, is not available. His name is Ryan Ellis of the Nashville Predators. A year left on his contract. David Poile’s number one priority is to extend him this summer. If he doesn’t get extended then he could perhaps become available, but not in time for this weekend.”

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That’s a very interesting question. And one I’ve been thinking a lot about the last few days is whether or not he may end up on the trade market. He seemed to be brought into the organization by Hunter, and then given that huge contract by Lou. So I’m not sure how close of a connection to Dubas he has.

The stats are also a bit unclear about him, depending on which ones you look at he seems to be fine while others seem to paint him as a disaster. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas tries to move him.

I can also potentially see Gardiner on the trade market too if the team doesn’t plan on resigning him. I think Dubas will try to break with the “keep your own rentals” philosophy. And Gardiner has a ton of value right now, though I can also see him being resigned by the Leafs.

I think Zaitsev is an average to solid defenceman but his term is awful and with a lot of risks if he plays like he did since he signed it. I have no idea why they thought signing him to a 7 year contract was something they had to do.

My big problem if we trade Zaitsev is that Babcock loses a defenseman he really likes and relies on match ups and the PK. While we could replace him with someone a little less expensive, I think it would still be a bit of a gamble because he's not like SUPER bad. Either way, I'd be hoping to grab a top 10 prospect here (Bouchard? Smith? Boqvist? Kravstov? etc) and then move our 25th pick for a Tanev or perhaps a Colin Miller maybe.

I find the complete lack of Gardiner talk interesting. The Leafs should be floating his name out there due to his contract but I think he might be someone the Leafs want to extend.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Well there's one option gone.

I didn't expect him to stick around the American league for another year but kinda figured he might sign a deal with an out-clause, go to camp, and just bail if he didn't make the team.

Oh well. Best of luck to him anyways. While I'm sure he's disappointed he never reached the NHL, there are worse fates than being a Calder Cup champion in your only year in North America.

Reactions: hullsy47

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Since he went to the KHL, we still retain his rights. Maybe an option later on when a more guaranteed job opens up.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I like Hamilton but he’s not going to solve the team’s defensive issues. And they don’t need his main strength - Rielly and Gardiner can provide plenty of offense from the back end

Crazy how Nylander’s name keeps popping up in trade propsals as if he was a 2nd round pick or something
I personally put his name into proposals because I feel that Nylander, Marner, Matthews or Reilly is probably the only way we can get a young top pairing RD. Out of that group of players Nylander would be the only that I’d even consider and it would have to be for a Trouba/Hamilton level player. Our firsts (hopefully) are going to be 25 or up for the next while, so not extremely valuable I’d assume. Prospects like Kapanen, Johnson are probably not good enough either I’d figure. Also I would only consider Nylander in a trade if we could sign Tavares somehow.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Treliving is inviting 2 sons of the Humbolt's Coach to the draft table.

He said he's under pressure more than ever now to give them something to do Friday night. He said he was already under pressure to get something for Friday.

So what's he gonna do to get a 1st. round pick?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
His puck skills are brutal but I've got some time for his defensive game
I wouldn't mind him getting an opportunity out of camp

How many chances should the Leafs give the guy though?

I'd be more inclined to give a 25 year old that had a rough year the chance to bounce back. When it comes to 27 year old Marincin, I think he's had his fair share to crack the line-up.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He fails the eye test most of the time, but has good zone entry denial stats if I recall. Stuff that isn't readily noticed by most viewers but would be picked up by Dubas.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Unless Gardiner is going somewhere, there’s no spot for Marincin other than a press box role.

Which hey, Marincin is a fine d-man as an injury replacement, but you’d think he’d request not to be tendered or asked to be signed and then dealt to look for an actual chance.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, anyone find it interesting that Dubas said a “few may not be” in regards to our RFA’s being tendered?

William Nylander
Justin Holl
Frederick Gauthier
Martin Marincin
Andreas Johnsson

Makes me think GOAT is gonna be let go and then Marincin and Holl might be unless they sign for what the team wants them to?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How many chances should the Leafs give the guy though?

I'd be more inclined to give a 25 year old that had a rough year the chance to bounce back. When it comes to 27 year old Marincin, I think he's had his fair share to crack the line-up.

He's fine if your looking for a defensively responsible PK option on the bottom pair, put him with a puck mover and he can do a job

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To be fair, if they said they are looking at options, maybe they consider Nylander an option and are doing their due diligence in checking other options so they are exhausting all options and making the best decision. I don't think it automatically means Nylander isn't being considered as a C.

Valid point.

Also, anyone find it interesting that Dubas said a “few may not be” in regards to our RFA’s being tendered?

William Nylander
Justin Holl
Frederick Gauthier
Martin Marincin
Andreas Johnsson

Makes me think GOAT is gonna be let go and then Marincin and Holl might be unless they sign for what the team wants them to?

He was saying they wanted to keep Marincin and I know he loves Holl. I read it as Gauthier is gonezo.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

William Nylander
Justin Holl
Frederick Gauthier
Martin Marincin
Andreas Johnsson

Probably just Gauthier out of that group and maybe Marincin. Other 3 are locks

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Speaking of poor puck skills... Preparing for the barrage of rotten tomatoes and banana peels... could Luke Schenn be the replacement for Roman Polak? Personally I think Polak's the superior player: better skater, better with the puck. Babcock seems to want the rugged RH defensive defender type.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Speaking of poor puck skills... Preparing for the barrage of rotten tomatoes and banana peels... could Luke Schenn be the replacement for Roman Polak? Personally I think Polak's the superior player: better skater, better with the puck. Babcock seems to want the rugged RH defensive defender type.

We won’t have any Polak types no more.

There’s this Kyle Dubas speech type thing, where he says he doesn’t believe in safe players or safe plays, because those players are usually in their own end all the time, because they aren’t good enough.

I’d wager Marincin has a better shot at being on the roster than Polak

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

We won’t have any Polak types no more.

There’s this Kyle Dubas speech type thing, where he says he doesn’t believe in safe players or safe plays, because those players are usually in their own end all the time, because they aren’t good enough.

I’d wager Marincin has a better shot at being on the roster than Polak

While I agree with you guys in theory, you still need to give your coach a bone. If Babcock felt he needed a guy like Schenn and the price wasn't crippling, it should be done. Gotta keep up the working relationship etc.

That being said, I hope we don't see a Polak on the team this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad