Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s an idiot, but if he stays there I think it shows that winning a cup is not a top priority for him.

Sometimes it is not for some players. If he really likes the team and the city (and of course the money), then that could be more important than a cup.

Plus who is to say the Isles won't win at some point? They are by far not the worst situation in the NHL. Not the best, but they could surprise some once some of their younger players develop. And as soon as they get two legitimate goalies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s an idiot, but if he stays there I think it shows that winning a cup is not a top priority for him.

So why be in the NHL if your goal isn't to win a cup??? Sorry, makes no sense to me.

I understand being committed to the organization that drafted you. But you know that the organization is very unstable, by the time they actually become a contender its going to be him that they want out of the organization because he will be too old and on a long contract. Why wouldn't you want to take your prime years left on to a contender, which in turn allows you to play at home for a lot of money and be a part of the first Leafs team to win a Cup in 50+ years. Sorry being the Leaf fan I am, if I was Tavares I would be coming home in a heartbeat.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Just as good a chance of winning with the Islanders than the Leafs.

What???

Are you serious? Wow. Whom does the Islanders have that even put them remotely at par with the Leafs without Tavares? And even if Tavares signs there their lineup isn't remotely close to that of the Leafs. Seriously bud give your head a shake.

How about you compare the existing lineup of Islanders with Tavares to that of the Leafs with Tavares and then get back at me. Give me a break.

Reactions: supermann_98

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Sometimes it is not for some players. If he really likes the team and the city (and of course the money), then that could be more important than a cup.

Plus who is to say the Isles won't win at some point? They are by far not the worst situation in the NHL. Not the best, but they could surprise some once some of their younger players develop. And as soon as they get two legitimate goalies.

Their defense is as horrible if not worse then Toronto's. Their goaltending his awful. Regardless of whom they bring in its not going to help. Other then Barzal, Bailey (who only recently broke out and may be a one year wonder), whom on the Island do they have??? Michael Del Cole??? Saw the kid growing up playing in the BRIDGE. The kid is soft and garbage. If people think Nylander is soft, this guy is garbage.

So how can we sit here and even compare the Islanders to the Leafs. Come on people

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I am completely serious. Did anyone expect Vegas to get to the finals? San Jose has been a favorite for years, have they won a cup? Being good on paper guarantees nothing.

Sorry to break it to you, but Vegas doesn't happen every season. Past history has shown that the teams that are favorites tend to be in the finals or close to it every season. The Leafs are on the brink of being one of those teams. If they can sign Tavares they will clearly be one of the top 3 favorites in the Eastern Conference for the foreseeable future. Truth of the matter is, the Islanders with Tavares still wont be.

For the next 3-4 years Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Boston, Washington and the Leafs will all be ahead of them as the real contenders.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Sorry to break it to you, but Vegas doesn't happen every season. Past history has shown that the teams that are favorites tend to be in the finals or close to it every season. The Leafs are on the brink of being one of those teams. If they can sign Tavares they will clearly be one of the top 3 favorites in the Eastern Conference for the foreseeable future. Truth of the matter is, the Islanders with Tavares still wont be.

For the next 3-4 years Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Boston, Washington and the Leafs will all be ahead of them as the real contenders.

This is all speculation on your part. You have no idea what will happen in the next 3-4 years, nice try though.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
lol what kind of logic is that?

By your standards Montreal has just a good of a chance to win a cup as Tampa does

Ottawa went from being 1 goal away from the finals to taking a giant dump. The Leafs have not proven anything up to this point, they have showed some promise, but that's all.

There are no guarantees from one year to the next, so anyone that calls Tavares an idiot if he signs with the Islanders over the Leafs is just juvenile

HC7

May 2, 2018
I'd do that in a heartbeat

Easily.

I'd want to throw in Connor Brown and our 1st for Puljujuarvi. McDavid gets his winger.

Trade down with NYR. Our 10th and a 3rd for picks 26 and 28. Get 2 of Miller, Sandin, Dellandrea, Merkley, Wise, Berggren and call it a day.

Look at Johnsson plus whatever for Rasmus Andersson and we're set.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Puljujuarvi - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Zaitsev/Andersson
Dermott - Zaitsev/Andersson
Hainsey/Borg/Rosen - Ozi/Carrick

Plus you get 2 high potential players at the draft and with the prospects coming through, this teams gets even better in the future.

Pipedream.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
This is all speculation on your part. You have no idea what will happen in the next 3-4 years, nice try though.

All information that is all over the web is that with Lamoriello going there, and Hunter in the wings. And now Trotz signing there. He is leaning to staying on the island. I hope it is all speculation and I am wrong. But I have this feeling in the next 24-48 hours Tavares is about to make a decision that will be the worst decision of his life. And it sucks. Sucks for him, and all of us as Leaf fans.

To me its simple. Come home, get paid. And contend. Stamkos was offered more a season by the Leafs. But there was nothing to come to other then coming home. We didn't know what we knew today. I can see Tavares being offered the same. But times are different in 2018 then it was in 2016. To me its cut and dry. Tavares should be coming home.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
All information that is all over the web is that with Lamoriello going there, and Hunter in the wings. And now Trotz signing there. He is leaning to staying on the island. I hope it is all speculation and I am wrong. But I have this feeling in the next 24-48 hours Tavares is about to make a decision that will be the worst decision of his life. And it sucks. Sucks for him, and all of us as Leaf fans.

This is wrong on so many levels.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ottawa went from being 1 goal away from the finals to taking a giant dump. The Leafs have not proven anything up to this point, they have showed some promise, but that's all.

There are no guarantees from one year to the next, so anyone that calls Tavares an idiot if he signs with the Islanders over the Leafs is just juvenile

What is juvenile is not understanding dressing room dynamics. Its obvious that you haven't ever been a part of one. When there is divide in a dressing room it becomes a cancer. No one plays for each other, they play for themselves if at all.

Ottawa's team by no means had any reason to be as bad as they were. With the news of Hoffman and Karlsson problems coming out after the season there is no doubt why the team was as dysfunctional as they were. Not to mention losing Karlsson for a small portion of the season because of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his child and the stupid management of the Turris. This is why Ottawa went from one extreme to the other in one season.

Very poor comparison sorry.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
This is wrong on so many levels.

Are you a Leaf fan or just trolling?

Are you telling me it wouldnt suck if you make a decision that can ultimately bite you later?

Are you also telling me that as a Leaf fan it wouldn't suck if Tavares didn't come home?

Are you also telling me that with the core we have in place that adding Tavares wouldn't instantly make us a better team year in and year out to contend for a Cup???

Isnt this what every Leaf fan wants? Bettering you team without giving up any assets with a player in his prime to go along with what we already have? And on top of it, its Toronto boy!!!

How is it wrong on any level???

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
What is juvenile is not understanding dressing room dynamics. Its obvious that you haven't ever been a part of one. When there is divide in a dressing room it becomes a cancer. No one plays for each other, they play for themselves if at all.

Ottawa's team by no means had any reason to be as bad as they were. With the news of Hoffman and Karlsson problems coming out after the season there is no doubt why the team was as dysfunctional as they were. Not to mention losing Karlsson for a small portion of the season because of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his child and the stupid management of the Turris. This is why Ottawa went from one extreme to the other in one season.

Very poor comparison sorry.

How do we know the same thing couldn't happen to the Leafs, or any other team for that matter. I am simply saying there are no guarantees from one year to the next with pro sports.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Are you a Leaf fan or just trolling?

Are you telling me it wouldnt suck if you make a decision that can ultimately bite you later?

Are you also telling me that as a Leaf fan it wouldn't suck if Tavares didn't come home?

Are you also telling me that with the core we have in place that adding Tavares wouldn't instantly make us a better team year in and year out to contend for a Cup???

Isnt this what every Leaf fan wants? Bettering you team without giving up any assets with a player in his prime to go along with what we already have? And on top of it, its Toronto boy!!!

How is it wrong on any level???

I am a Leaf fan, but how can seriously makes these ridiculous comments about Tavares ruining his life if he doesn't sign here. Its bonkers.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My time to vent....

I am sick and tired of the Leafs getting Toronto born players via trade or FA in the latter stages of their careers. We lost out to Stamkos and personally I can understand why. He stayed with a team that was young, thriving for a Stanley Cup and to be honest the tax situation there in Florida is a lot better then in Toronto when it comes to how much he can make overall.

But from a Tavares perspective, I just don't get it. The Islanders suck in comparison to the Leafs. They have no goalie, no stadium and have been perennial losers ever since hes been on the team. He has an opportunity to play for his boyhood team the Leafs, and be part of bringing the Stanley Cup to Toronto and make a dynasty here. He wouldn't be the focal point of the Leafs with superstars in the making like Matthews, Marner and Nylander (to a certain degree). He would be part of the solution and not the solution. And on top of it all, he gets to be home!!! Close to family and friends while making a good amount of money doing it.

If Tavares doesn't take this opportunity to come home he's an idiot. Plain and simple!!!! The Stamkos and Tavares situations are totally different. Stamkos had a choice to come home with nothing in place for the Leafs. They weren't a contender, with young up and coming players throughout the organization. Tampa Bay was. Easy choice for Stamkos as far as I am concerned I probably would have made the same decision.

But Tavares picking the Islanders over the Leafs!!!! Sorry he's an idiot if he doesn't come home. Because this off season, Toronto should be the Tampa Bay for Tavares as it was for Stamkos. No brainer.

It’s been reported that Toronto is the first team Tavares is meeting with on Monday when the talking period opens and apparently isn’t going to sign an extension until he hears from us and possibly a couple other teams.

So he’s giving us the chance.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

First off, I just want to say that my argument has nothing to do with Tavares.

To the rest of your point:
I mean obviously nothing is guaranteed but there's a difference between expecting a good team to be good in the future vs. a bad team to suddenly be good. Not everything is random.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
How do we know the same thing couldn't happen to the Leafs, or any other team for that matter. I am simply saying there are no guarantees from one year to the next with pro sports.

If you were to give me a comparison of Edmonton to the Leafs I would have been ok with it. But Ottawa!!! With everything that's gone on there???

Your right it can happen to anyone. Even the Islanders right??? But I would rather take my chances at home with a better skilled team "on paper" then going to a team that tomorrow may sell and move. Cause one thing is for certain Toronto is going no where, Toronto is more skilled and Toronto is home!!!!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If we moved Gardiner for 10OA would you move 25th for a D? Maybe someone like Manson or another D.
What would Spark's worth be to a team looking for a D?
Finally what do you think the price would be on Nuge at 4M?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It’s been reported that Toronto is the first team Tavares is meeting with on Monday when the talking period opens and apparently isn’t going to sign an extension until he hears from us and possibly a couple other teams.

So he’s giving us the chance.

I just saw this as well. Thanks for beating me to the punch. This is ultimately good news. Here's hoping some home cooking and convincing from family and friends will allow him to make the right decision. But then again Stamkos heard us out too, so here's hoping Tavares will understand the differences between Stamkos/TB and he/Island.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If we moved Gardiner for 10OA would you move 25th for a D? Maybe someone like Manson or another D.
What would Spark's worth be to a team looking for a D?
Finally what do you think the price would be on Nuge at 4M?

If you move Gardiner for the 10 pick you better be moving both picks for a replacement because that is a massive hole we just created in our line up

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->