Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s been reported that Toronto is the first team Tavares is meeting with on Monday when the talking period opens and apparently isn’t going to sign an extension until he hears from us and possibly a couple other teams.

So he’s giving us the chance.

Link?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Don't get your hopes up on JT guys. I hope it happens, but history suggests he will likely re-sign with the Isles.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Does anyone want to stay in Ottawa anymore? The Sens can't let Mark Stone leave under any circumstances.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Does anyone want to stay in Ottawa anymore? The Sens can't let Mark Stone leave under any circumstances.

apparently Mark Stone’s parents went to the Vegas-Ottawa game in March, and I guess when a Vegas official went to check in on them, they were talking, and they classified the situation in Ottawa as a shit show.

Could be an indication Stone isn’t too happy there either

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just a quick reminder for the Leafs to never go "full Chiarelli," the man, the myth, the legend, who traded himself out of a core of McDavid, Barzal, Hall, Draisaitl for some "defensive help."

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If we moved Gardiner for 10OA would you move 25th for a D? Maybe someone like Manson or another D.
What would Spark's worth be to a team looking for a D?
Finally what do you think the price would be on Nuge at 4M?

Gards doesn't get you the 10th with only a year left on his deal. Also, Oilers are specifically looking for a RD same as the Leafs, so they aren't the right partner in any case. Sparks is a goalie so not sure that a team looking for D pays a special value for him. Oilers paid 2nd. 3rd and 7th for Talbot who had a way better established value. A late 3rd is maybe the best Sparks brings until he shows some NHL success. The Oilers wouldn't need to retain anything on Nuge to find a deal and they value their cap space. He doesn't really seem to be on the market, because of their lack of top 6 depth, but at $4M they would probably ask for Willie back.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
2018 bc‏ @bobbycappucino
FollowFollow @bobbycappucino
More
BREAKING: There is chatter that the Islanders are offering their two 1sts++ for Artemi Panarin so Tavares stays, but CBJ are tantalized moreso by Toronto's package of Brown, Nielsen, and a 2nd.

I'm not sure on which planet, Brown, Nielsen and a second are worth more than Two firsts... but I'm just copying and pasting what idiocy I read.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
2018 bc‏ @bobbycappucino
More
BREAKING: There is chatter that the Islanders are offering their two 1sts++ for Artemi Panarin so Tavares stays, but CBJ are tantalized moreso by Toronto's package of Brown, Nielsen, and a 2nd.

I'm not sure on which planet, Brown, Nielsen and a second are worth more than Two firsts... but I'm just copying and pasting what idiocy I read.
Panarin is suuuch a good player but can we really give that much for a player who's a winger and a UFA in a year?

Also yeah I think two first are worth more unless CBJ want some players who are ready now?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Panarin is suuuch a good player but can we really give that much for a player who's a winger and a UFA in a year?

Also yeah I think two first are worth more unless CBJ want some players who are ready now?
Supposedly Toronto almost signed Panarin when he first came over from Russia. Panarin reportedly had it down to Chicago or Toronto and decided to sign with the former, so he does have a history of interest in the city, which could bode well for his upcoming UFA status if this were true (which is doubtful given the source).

If we moved Gardiner for 10OA would you move 25th for a D? Maybe someone like Manson or another D.
This is actually what i've been suggesting they do too. Moving Gardiner this summer is the last realistic chance management has to capitalize on his value. It is the exact same situation as JVR last year, but management decided to ride that contract out. Attempt to move Gardiner for a pick ranging from 10th-15th overall (Edmonton/Florida, both rumoured), and then pursue a RHD like Tanev or Hamonic using a combination of picks and depth players (i.e. Brown + 2nd).

This hypothetical would allow Dermott to man the 2nd pair on the left side, and create room for Borgman/Rosen to rotate in on the bottom pair, which is what Babcock seems to want based on his recent interview regarding Rosen and the Marlies. Even by opening up that hole on the defence, you still have a ton of competition between players like Ozhiganov, Carrick and Hainsey for ice-time, assuming that top 4 RHD is acquired.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I don't see a reason for Calgary to rush and try and get a 1st round pick just because they don't draft that often. They've got a youngish group already.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
2018 bc‏ @bobbycappucino
More

lol pretty sure that guy's just trolling. Loves using the word chatter and keeps saying we're offering Brown, Nielsen and a 2nd for basically every D man out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad