Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
And replace him with who exactly

Trade:
Karlsson, Faulk, Pysyk, Demers, Hjalmarsson, Hamilton, Ristolainen, C. Miller, Tanev, Trouba.

UFA:
Carlson, De Haan, Green, Hamhuis, Franson, C. Wideman, Pateryn.

Internal:
Carrick, Borgman, Rosen, Liljegren, Ozghanov(sp?), Marincin.

Not like we can't replace a guy who was a net negative last season.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Trade:
Karlsson, Faulk, Pysyk, Demers, Hjalmarsson, Hamilton, Ristolainen, C. Miller, Tanev, Trouba.

UFA:
Carlson, De Haan, Green, Hamhuis, Franson, C. Wideman, Pateryn.

Internal:
Carrick, Borgman, Rosen, Liljegren, Ozghanov(sp?), Marincin.

Not like we can't replace a guy who was a net negative last season.

No one internally steps in and replaces him. No one besides Carlson is a better option than him and he’s going to be way too expensive considering we would need to replace two holes. The trades are all dependent on what we have to move. If we can move 10+25 for one of those guys (and a small plus) then I’d be cool with the move but I doubt that’s going to happen.

who cares? 6 years off the books

Someone who wants the team to win?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No one internally steps in and replaces him. No one besides Carlson is a better option than him and he’s going to be way too expensive considering we would need to replace two holes. The trades are all dependent on what we have to move. If we can move 10+25 for one of those guys (and a small plus) then I’d be cool with the move but I doubt that’s goin

If you dont think at the very least De Haan and Hamhuis are better than him, i dont know what to tell you.

To me, i trade Z for the 10th and drive him to the airport as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matt Martin is a Lou signing, and he was from NYI.

Unless Lou was stupid and got smart, maybe they call him home.

Say a conditional 7th. in 2020?

I’m hoping that will happen, likely to the Islanders. Though apparently Detroit had also expressed interest when he was previously a free agent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kadri is a 30 goal scoring, 200 ft centre, that has a nasty side to him and is on an incredibly cap friendly contract. I don’t see any scenario that would strengthen the leafs by trading Kadri and putting Nylander in the middle. If Tavares doesn’t sign here then yes put Nylander as the 3rd line centre but if he does then Nylander would be my trade bait for a top pairing RD. The leafs are going to be tight against the cap and could never replace what Kadri brings for the $4.5 in my opinion.

If Nylander turns into a 70-80+ point player the balance defiantly tips to him in terms of value. Especially when taking into account their age gap.

I personally wouldn’t have much interest in trading Kadri, but more so don’t have any in moving Nylander. Fortunately I think the Leafs will solve their D issues without trading either

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And replace him with who exactly

There's a few options but that's part of the other problem. You can find an equally efficient player that doesn't cost that much or have that term though.

You could shop the 25th pick, along with other assets, in order to find that replacement.

Reactions: Morgs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
from what some flames fans say, Hamilton is a soft offensive dman is that really worth giving nylander for? I don't think so. 6'6" doesn't automatically mean good at using his body etc. If he is just a tall version of gardiner im sorry but nylander doesnt move for that

I like Hamilton but he’s not going to solve the team’s defensive issues. And they don’t need his main strength - Rielly and Gardiner can provide plenty of offense from the back end

Crazy how Nylander’s name keeps popping up in trade propsals as if he was a 2nd round pick or something

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Nylander turns into a 70-80+ point player the balance defiantly tips to him in terms of value. Especially when taking into account their age gap.

I personally wouldn’t have much interest in trading Kadri, but more so don’t have any in moving Nylander. Fortunately I think the Leafs will solve their D issues without trading either

I'm guessing a trade would include a pick(2nd.), prospect and different player. I think the value of the prospects would have received a bit of a boost with the Calder win that wasn't on the backs of AHL veterans.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I like Hamilton but he’s not going to solve the team’s defensive issues. And they don’t need his main strength - Rielly and Gardiner can provide plenty of offense from the back end

Crazy how Nylander’s name keeps popping up in trade propsals as if he was a 2nd round pick or something

Not that I don't disagree with most of your post, I do disagree that Hamilton "isn't going to solve the team's defensive issues".

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how good Giordano is, but the guy is legit plus defensively two years in a row, and could be Rielly's perfect compliment. As we've seen, he's done a lot the last couple years in brutal comp with a partner that can barely hold a hockey stick. Now imagine a guy who's playing in the comp we're talking about, and has come out plus two years in a row:

2017-18
toiQOC: 29.41 (hard 1st pairing comp)
DZS: 46.9%
rel.CA/60: -4.54

2016-17
toiQOC - 29.16 (Weak 1st/Tough 2nd)
DZS: 52.3%
rel.CA/60: -1.65

I mean he's not Hampus Lindholm defenseively, but he's a plus defender and great offensively. He'd be a real get for us to help move Hainsey/Zaitsev-Carrick down in the lineup going forward.

If they're asking for Nylander though, I'm out.

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not that I don't disagree with most of your post, I do disagree that Hamilton "isn't going to solve the team's defensive issues".

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how good Giordano is, but the guy is legit plus defensively two years in a row, and could be Rielly's perfect compliment. As we've seen, he's done a lot the last couple years in brutal comp with a partner that can barely hold a hockey stick. Now imagine a guy who's playing in the comp we're talking about, and has come out plus two years in a row:

2017-18
toiQOC: 29.41 (hard 1st pairing comp)
DZS: 46.9%
rel.CA/60: -4.54

2016-17
toiQOC - 29.16 (Weak 1st/Tough 2nd)
DZS: 52.3%
rel.CA/60: -1.65

I mean he's not Hampus Lindholm defenseively, but he's a plus defender and great offensively. He'd be a real get for us to help move Hainsey/Zaitsev-Carrick down in the lineup going forward.

If they're asking for Nylander though, I'm out.

One way we could get Hamilton without having to give up Nylander or even a lot of picks/futures is to take back Brouwer..... I hear Robidas Island has a spot open next season.

Reactions: Morgs

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One way we could get Hamilton without having to give up Nylander or even a lot of picks/futures is to take back Brouwer..... I hear Robidas Island has a spot open next season.
The thing about trying to help Calgary cap wise is they don't look like they need any help in that department. It seems they have a ton of older guys coming off the books and have about 12m in cap space currently. (That's at 75m cap limit still)

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If Chia came calling and said "Kyle, I'm willing to trade 10th OA for a top-4 defenseman". Would you:

A) Trade Rielly (lol)
B) Trade Dermott
C) Trade Gardiner
D) Trade Zaitsev
E) Trade Liljegren

You can pick more than one (all 1 for 1 trades though), and this happens before Dahlin is picked so you don't know who is available.

Would you do Klefbom + 10th for Rielly?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Would you do Klefbom + 10th for Rielly?
giphy.gif

Reactions: leospaceman3434

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The thing about trying to help Calgary cap wise is they don't look like they need any help in that department. It seems they have a ton of older guys coming off the books and have about 12m in cap space currently. (That's at 75m cap limit still)

Maybe. Probably explains why they didn't buy him out.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If Chia came calling and said "Kyle, I'm willing to trade 10th OA for a top-4 defenseman". Would you:

A) Trade Rielly (lol)
B) Trade Dermott
C) Trade Gardiner
D) Trade Zaitsev
E) Trade Liljegren

You can pick more than one (all 1 for 1 trades though), and this happens before Dahlin is picked so you don't know who is available.

move gardiner for 10oa overpay carlson $8 million x 7 years

rielly-carlson
dermott-zaitsev
rosen-hainsey

boom - one step closer to an nhl defense

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If you're asking me last off-season I would have said yes. Now? Absolutely not.

If Rielly continues this trajectory, he's a top-10 defenseman in the NHL next season.

I have the same feeling. But at the same time, I think Rielly is loved by GMs around the league and Dubas could probably force someone to really overpay if he decided to trade Rielly.

I remember reading that Bergevin complained that PK Subban wasn't more like Rielly.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I have the same feeling. But at the same time, I think Rielly is loved by GMs around the league and Dubas could probably force someone to really overpay if he decided to trade Rielly.

I remember reading that Bergevin complained that PK Subban wasn't more like Rielly.

The overpayment we're talking for Rielly is basically Seth Jones, McDavid, Barkov at this point. Very very few players in the league are signed for this long, this productive, and this young in this prime of a position.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be very interested in trading Zaitsev for Edmonton's first rounder. Im not overly high on Zaitsev like some around here though.

That’s a very interesting question. And one I’ve been thinking a lot about the last few days is whether or not he may end up on the trade market. He seemed to be brought into the organization by Hunter, and then given that huge contract by Lou. So I’m not sure how close of a connection to Dubas he has.

The stats are also a bit unclear about him, depending on which ones you look at he seems to be fine while others seem to paint him as a disaster. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas tries to move him.

I can also potentially see Gardiner on the trade market too if the team doesn’t plan on resigning him. I think Dubas will try to break with the “keep your own rentals” philosophy. And Gardiner has a ton of value right now, though I can also see him being resigned by the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad