Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As I think Nylander is going to be moved to C this year regardless, I'd argue that behind Matthews and Tavares he'd do just fine there. Following AM and JT I'd guess Willy would be seeing around 14 minutes/night against less talented players, he can drive a line and coupled with some of the wingers we have (I'd hope for Johnsson and Kappy) I could see our 3rd line causing the opposition fits. And, while Willy would certainly be a highly sought after return for a Dman, I can see Kadri entertaining very similar value as he's a proven commodity at the C position who can be effective in a number of roles. Essentially, I see AM/JT/NK as being a better group at C today, whereas I see AM/JT/WN as being a potentially better group at C in the future and for a longer period of time. Intriguing either way.

@MBP, the above applies equally to your comment :thumbu:

I might be wrong on the source but I feel like it was Friedman but I do recall them saying that we were looking at 3rd line centre options which leads me to believe that we still don't see Nylander as a centre.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I might be wrong on the source but I feel like it was Friedman but I do recall them saying that we were looking at 3rd line centre options which leads me to believe that we still don't see Nylander as a centre.
Makes no sense. He basically played C together with Matthews last season. Just give him the low-hanging fruits as 3C matchups and he will thrive.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Makes no sense. He basically played C together with Matthews last season. Just give him the low-hanging fruits as 3C matchups and he will thrive.

Not my choice lol. He did take strong side face offs for Matthews and did play centre while Matthews was injured.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
To be fair, if they said they are looking at options, maybe they consider Nylander an option and are doing their due diligence in checking other options so they are exhausting all options and making the best decision. I don't think it automatically means Nylander isn't being considered as a C.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Tavares signs with the Leafs, I could see Dubas making a trade for RD using Kadri as the bait.
I know inter division trades rarely happen, but the Sabres have the two players the Leafs need, ROR and Rasmus Ristolainen. If packaging Kadri, Nylander and another asset could get it done the team would be a real contender imo.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Matt Martin is a Lou signing, and he was from NYI.

Unless Lou was stupid and got smart, maybe they call him home.

Say a conditional 7th. in 2020?

I think it makes sense. Not sure the value is THAT low for Martin but it'll be a late pick and probably 2019 or 2020.

If the Islanders do re-sign Tavares, I think there could be a bit of a "hockey" trade that makes sense between the Islanders and the Leafs. Nelson is a RFA that could fit our 3rd line center needs. They also need a goaltender, although they really need a #1 goaltender and I doubt someone like Pickard, Sparks or McBackup would fit their need.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Kadri is a 30 goal scoring, 200 ft centre, that has a nasty side to him and is on an incredibly cap friendly contract. I don’t see any scenario that would strengthen the leafs by trading Kadri and putting Nylander in the middle. If Tavares doesn’t sign here then yes put Nylander as the 3rd line centre but if he does then Nylander would be my trade bait for a top pairing RD. The leafs are going to be tight against the cap and could never replace what Kadri brings for the $4.5 in my opinion.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know inter division trades rarely happen, but the Sabres have the two players the Leafs need, ROR and Rasmus Ristolainen. If packaging Kadri, Nylander and another asset could get it done the team would be a real contender imo.

So, apparently, Hamilton RHD, consistently over 40 points, 6'6", 210 lbs. is again being mentioned as available.

We know the Flames want scoring, they also want to get into the draft before half the players are gone.

I suspect Dubas wants to use the 1st. on Friday, but I could see the 2nd. and 3rd. in play along with an offensive winger.

However, they would be competing with teams who have 2 1st. round picks.

Ironic - Hamilton to NYI for Eberle and their 1st.

Replacement - Hamilton to Ottawa for Bobby Ryan (Ottawa retains) ... Sens move Karlsson

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kadri is a 30 goal scoring, 200 ft centre, that has a nasty side to him and is on an incredibly cap friendly contract. I don’t see any scenario that would strengthen the leafs by trading Kadri and putting Nylander in the middle. If Tavares doesn’t sign here then yes put Nylander as the 3rd line centre but if he does then Nylander would be my trade bait for a top pairing RD. The leafs are going to be tight against the cap and could never replace what Kadri brings for the $4.5 in my opinion.

Yes, it is premature to move Kadri without having something else lined up for center.

If Tavares was landed, and you could then parlay Kadri into a similarly priced (within $1 million) Top 2/3 RHD then it would make sense.

Without depth at center the Leafs are limited with disposable assets down the middle.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Pysyk would be a smart add.

If Dubas trades for Pysyk this summer I'm going to be so pissed...that we didn't trade for him last year. I've been a big proponent of bringing him in as a low-cost RHD for a few years now. He's not a world-beater by any means, but I look at him as basically a healthy Tanev who would look great beside any of Rielly/Gardiner/Dermott.

Especially if we do add another top 6 forward, I don't think we need a superstar defenseman added to the roster (though, I wouldn't be opposed to one either).

I'd say Nylander would be the bait.

I've been screaming this from rooftops: Adding Tavares doesn't push Nylander out. We aren't close to the point where we have to move any of our big players out yet, and likely won't be for another 4 years or so, even with JT's potential salary added to our books.

As I think Nylander is going to be moved to C this year regardless, I'd argue that behind Matthews and Tavares he'd do just fine there

Even Kadri doesn't become expendable with a JT signing. The goal is to have as much talent as possible, and history has shown that moving forwards for "equivalent value" defenders never looks good on the team trading the forward. The most likely scenario for Nylander is that he continues to share the faceoff duties with his center, and slides in as an injury replacement when needed. Having him as a 4th top 6 center is a hell of a lot more comfortable than him being the 3rd line center, even if I think he would do fine in the position.

At this point, it's all hands on deck, so unless we're robbing another team in a trade, there's no way Dubas gives up value in a trade to "fill a need", when the biggest need of any team in the NHL is talent, no matter where it fits into a lineup.

Wonder what Ottawa would want for Pageau.

I wouldn't mind going after him, if we strike out on all other options. $3.1M cap hit owed $6.7M over the next 2 years. Maybe something like Matt Martin, who has a $2.5M cap hit but is only owed $4M ($2.5M after his bonus is paid next weekend) over the next 2 years and a pick or 2 is enough to get Eugene to part ways with him?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
your not getting Pageau for Matt Martin, Pageau is a effective player and has a much higher value the a pugilist who's on the downside of his career, that being said Pageau is a player I'd like to see the leafs target.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So, apparently, Hamilton RHD, consistently over 40 points, 6'6", 210 lbs. is again being mentioned as available.

We know the Flames want scoring, they also want to get into the draft before half the players are gone.

I suspect Dubas wants to use the 1st. on Friday, but I could see the 2nd. and 3rd. in play along with an offensive winger.

However, they would be competing with teams who have 2 1st. round picks.

Ironic - Hamilton to NYI for Eberle and their 1st.

Replacement - Hamilton to Ottawa for Bobby Ryan (Ottawa retains) ... Sens move Karlsson

Hamilton would be quite the addition to our team. A great fit. The price might be a little scary though.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
your not getting Pageau for Matt Martin, Pageau is a effective player and has a much higher value the a pugilist who's on the downside of his career, that being said Pageau is a player I'd like to see the leafs target.

On a real NHL team, sure, I'd agree with you. On the Sens, I wouldn't be surprised if Eugene valued that $4M+ in dollars saved as the equivalent to a 1st round pick. Add a 2nd and 4th to that, and who knows what that coot is willing to do?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kadri to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly would be an upgrade for the Leafs at centre and bring in one of the best faceoff men in the game to the Leafs.

It would be for more $$$ and cap so Kads has the better bang for your buck in that respect but in terms of Rielly playing PP, PK and ES and putting up similar stats makes him a better inpactful player on the ice. IMO

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Arizona Coyotes' GM John Chayka sounds off on Phil Kessel report.

https://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-chayka-sounds-off-on-kessel-report-1.1119136
Arizona Coyotes general manager John Chayka addressed trade rumours regarding Pittsburgh Penguins winger Phil Kessel this week, telling Arizona Sports Radio 98.7 that he hasn't reached out to the Penguins on a potential deal, but the reason for that had nothing to do with the team's budget.

"I’d like to know more about it, too," Chayka said of a report that financial reasons excluded the Coyotes from landing Kessel. "I think it’s terrible reporting. It’s inaccurate across the board from start to finish. I don’t know where some things come up. I’m the one having trade discussions, those discussions with the Penguins haven’t occurred. So unless someone else is making calls that I don’t know about, I’m not sure where his information is coming from."

"To speculate on our economics I think is unfair. We're trying to build out our group here and we've got a young group. We're trying to build through the draft and develop. I’m not sure where it’s coming from, but the basis of that reporting is not coming from anything tied to the Coyotes and certainly not anywhere close to factual."

The Coyotes have been linked to Pittsburgh Penguins winger Phil Kessel due to the winger's familiarity with Coyotes head coach Rick Tocchet, while Josh Yohe of The Athletic reported Tuesday though that a hold up in any Kessel trade would be the Coyotes' desire to stay near the floor of the salary cap next season.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Kadri to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly would be an upgrade for the Leafs at centre and bring in one of the best faceoff men in the game to the Leafs.

It would be for more $$$ and cap so Kads has the better bang for your buck in that respect but in terms of Rielly playing PP, PK and ES and putting up similar stats makes him a better inpactful player on the ice. IMO
I would love for the leafs to get ROR, he’s definitely near the top of the best 2way centres in the game. Also I feel for what ROR provides his cap hit is not bad at all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would love for the leafs to get ROR, he’s definitely near the top of the best 2way centres in the game. Also I feel for what ROR provides his cap hit is not bad at all.

I agree and I believe the trade could be even bigger than that.

If I'm Dubas I'm investigating a Ryan O'Reilly + Rasmus Roustalainen (RHD) blockbuster package that could involve such names as Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander, picks, prospects etc.

It would address both a need at C and and desperate need for a RHD to improve Leafs right side.

With Zaitsev, 38 year old LHD Hainsey playing his weak side and Connor Carrick in the right side that might be among the weakest in the NHL.

Buffalo for sure would insist on Willie in such a trade (since they have his brother Alex) and rebuilding with youth.

Wonder how close Nylander + Gardiner + 25thOA would get us to such and trade, that could toss in a prospect as needed ?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hamilton would be quite the addition to our team. A great fit. The price might be a little scary though.
I do wonder why he's available, after only being on the Flames for a few years.. I mean this is a 25 yr old RHD who has great size as well as mobility and offense. A guy like him should be a long-term core piece for any team's D really...

I can't help but feel like there is something more with him behind the scenes. Even with Boston, he wouldn't sign with them and then they traded him and people laughed at the Bruins because they supposedly couldn't meet his contract demands cause of cap space issues, yet he ended up signing for more or less the same contract with Calgary, so it was clear he just wanted out from Boston for whatever reason. Then there were also some stories about how he was kind of an oddball off the ice / there may have been some locker room tension, and others who are familiar with him off the ice have also said he's kind of 'strange'. Now after only a few seasons Calgary is testing the market for him supposedly... just odd for a young player of his calibre and for such a premium position while being the ever elusive 'right shot'.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I do wonder why he's available, after only being on the Flames for a few years.. I mean this is a 25 yr old RHD who has great size as well as mobility and offense. A guy like him should be a long-term core piece for any team's D really...

I can't help but feel like there is something more with him behind the scenes. Even with Boston, he wouldn't sign with them and then they traded him and people laughed at the Bruins because they supposedly couldn't meet his contract demands cause of cap space issues, yet he ended up signing for more or less the same contract with Calgary, so it was clear he just wanted out from Boston for whatever reason. Then there were also some stories about how he was kind of an oddball off the ice / there may have been some locker room tension, and others who are familiar with him off the ice have also said he's kind of 'strange'. Now after only a few seasons Calgary is testing the market for him supposedly... just odd for a young player of his calibre and for such a premium position while being the ever elusive 'right shot'.

Flames are strong on the RD so they would be dealing from a position of strength.

Why is he any more available than Hamonic? Maybe optics? Maybe because Brodie, who can play and might prefer the right side wouldn't return the same as Hamilton? Optics, trading Hamonic after giving up so much for him ... not good for the GM.

Hamilton, Hamonic, Stone, Andersson and Brodie.

Not sure I buy he is available, but maybe Brouwer and Hamilton are tied together? You take the dump along with Hamilton?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The price at minimum would include William Nylander.

PS. Nylander was born in Calgary and Flames are looking for offensive help up front.
& Dougie Hamilton was born in Toronto and Leafs are looking for a RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad