Confirmed with Link: Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M] II

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Reimer fans will never stop will they.... :shakehead

Just give it a rest already

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
This is by far the boldest move of the Leafs new management group.

They decided that Andersen was "their guy" and backed that up by locking him into a long term contract. How Andersen fairs against the other potential options will set management up for either praise or scorn by Leaf fandom.

One though would have to assume they did their homework and Lou does have a nice history with goalies s

I agree.
If Leafs made a mistake the mistake needs to be recognised and learnt from it to improve in the future. If they don't do this they will never learn.

Just an example.
After Reimers groin injury he was brought back too early. Obviously the medical staff wasn't capable to secure Reimers health. This is Shanahan's job to keep his staff accountable. Did the staff change?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
You do know that the Leafs walk away from the contract talks as his ask price was to high.....that is a fact.

It was not Cox who screwed up negotiations, but Reimers and his agent. They asked for too much money. This I am happy about, as he has proven him self to be a long way from a goalie who could lead us to anything.

The fact that he signed for less then his reported ask is only proof that he over valued himself not that Cox miss reported it.

This is absolutely speculation, it's an opinion that you're presenting as truth.

Cox lied, there was no "demand" for that term and average. Reimer's agent stated this was a false report. People on this board used that to roast Reimer, when he didn't issue any demands.

So no, you can't rewrite history to make a player look bad just because you don't like him.

Cox was wrong, irresponsible and frankly, lazy. That's been proven by the contract Reimer signed in FLA.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is absolutely speculation, it's an opinion that you're presenting as truth.

Cox lied, there was no "demand" for that term and average. Reimer's agent stated this was a false report. People on this board used that to roast Reimer, when he didn't issue any demands.

So no, you can't rewrite history to make a player look bad just because you don't like him.

Cox was wrong, irresponsible and frankly, lazy. That's been proven by the contract Reimer signed in FLA.

You don't really know either way, perhaps the Agent is lying and not Cox?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Reimer was a good guy, but he's gone. He's been gone since he got traded :). Best of luck to him.

More focused and interested in Andersen's season. He is the guy and will be for a long while. Curious to see how he does with this bunch in front of him and Babcock's systems. Didn't watch the Ducks nearly enough to say what I think of his goaltending. Will hope for the best though.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
You do know that the Leafs walk away from the contract talks as his ask price was to high.....that is a fact.

It was not Cox who screwed up negotiations, but Reimers and his agent. They asked for too much money. This I am happy about, as he has proven him self to be a long way from a goalie who could lead us to anything.

The fact that he signed for less then his reported ask is only proof that he over valued himself not that Cox miss reported it.

That is so not a fact it's not even funny!

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of our new goalie but one of my buddies at work is a huge ducks fan so I asked him what he thinks about andersen. He said andersen is a great goalie who in the past was their #1 but that last season gibson showed more promise. I hope he proves to be our #1

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Just to point out, a few months before Cox's claim of 6 million, there were reports Reimer was asking for 5 million per. His agent never shot those down. He might not have asked for 6, but likely was pretty close to that.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
If it is of any interest Andersen will participate in Denmarks games in the olympic qualification in a few weeks time. It is played in Belarus, so not sure whether or not streaming is available, but might be worth checking out

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If it is of any interest Andersen will participate in Denmarks games in the olympic qualification in a few weeks time. It is played in Belarus, so not sure whether or not streaming is available, but might be worth checking out

Cool - thanks I'll try and check it out

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I agree.
If Leafs made a mistake the mistake needs to be recognised and learnt from it to improve in the future. If they don't do this they will never learn.

Just an example.
After Reimers groin injury he was brought back too early. Obviously the medical staff wasn't capable to secure Reimers health. This is Shanahan's job to keep his staff accountable. Did the staff change?

To be fair.... Groin injuries are so damn hard to predict "When you are ready". Sometimes you feel 100% and one wrong twist and back to square one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
5 years can work out fine for the leafs. Or this can be an painful and awful long 5 year contract. There is more downside to upside in this contract.

The best option for the leafs is if Andersen posts close to Vezina quality #s to make the contract a steal. Otherwise they like many other teams, the leafs are overpaying or getting fair value for his services. The better teams however, have more value based and high production contracts on their rosters. Time will tell

Andersen is the real deal living out west I get to see him play a lot In 2 years this contract this. contract will be seen as a steal

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Surprised people aren't more excited about this signing. Babcock's system doesn't give up a lot of high scoring % shots. Most of the shots are kept to the outside and not many odd man rushes. Things might be shaky at first but once this team is where it needs to be I don't see Toronto and Anderson giving up a lot of goals. A solid big bodied goaltender who plays good positionally is exactly what they need and exactly what they got.

Last edited:

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I'd be fine with them signing a veteran backup from Europe for a year at league minimum to back up Andersen.

I just want a back up at this point. Lets get the roster set for camp.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Surprised people aren't more excited about this signing. Babcock's system doesn't give up a lot of high scoring % shots. Most of the shots are kept to the outside and not many odd man rushes. Things might be shaky at first but once this team is where it needs to be I don't see Toronto and Anderson giving up a lot of goals. A solid big bodied goaltender who plays good positionally is exactly what they need and exactly what they got.

We don't have a good track record of goalie acquisitions in the last decade :laugh: So we're cautiously optimistic.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I'd be fine with them signing a veteran backup from Europe for a year at league minimum to back up Andersen.

I just want a back up at this point. Lets get the roster set for camp.

Good timing. :nod:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
To be fair.... Groin injuries are so damn hard to predict "When you are ready". Sometimes you feel 100% and one wrong twist and back to square one.

There is experience how long it takes to recover, but someone thought he knew more than anybody else. It's also not only needed to heal, the muscles need to be build up again and that just takes time.

Will be interesting how they manage the starts this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad