Confirmed with Link: Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M] II

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He needs to start in more than half a season's worth of games to be considered legit. That's the only knock on him now, because it isn't his play.

Not a fan, neither were the Leafs.
Glad he's gone, Bernier too.

I look forward to the Andersen era.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
What about to simply get a chance? Plenty of back-ups and 1B type goalies have been acquired to start.

Hell one pushed him out of a job here.

That's on Nonis and Carlyle, not Reimer. It was crystal clear under those two that Reimer was never going to truly get the chance to retain the starter role once they traded for Bernier.

But that's not an argument worth rehashing anymore.

Andersen should have all our support and the past goaltending situation laid to rest.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
My worry now is on the backup role. Andersen<->Reimer is roughly a wash, but we're in for a rough season if we don't get a decent backup.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If he was viewed as a #1 legit starter, one would have opened up for him.

Fair point, he'd likely only be a legit #1 on a lesser team. I imagine SJ's playoff run last year factored into this decision.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Fair point, he'd likely only be a legit #1 on a lesser team. I imagine SJ's playoff run last year factored into this decision.

Reimer was never brought into San Jose to challenge for starter. His vastly superior performance after the trade is evidence of that.

Loyalty was shown to Jones come playoff time.

Not a .938 SV% 3 shutout, 8 game performance after the trade deadline.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Really? He has a middling starter's salary and puts up middling numbers as a starter.

Middling is not good and he wasn't able to play a starters workload last season. At his salary Andersen should be much better than Reimer, I think that's not possible.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Middling is not good and he wasn't able to play a starters workload last season. At his salary Andersen should be much better than Reimer, I think that's not possible.

I agree fully that Reimer is the better value signing in Florida and will more than live up to his contract.

Andersen will live up to his contract, its just that he won't prove to be a bargain like Reimer will. I'm perfectly okay with that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Reimer was never brought into San Jose to challenge for starter. His vastly superior performance after the trade is evidence of that.

Loyalty was shown to Jones come playoff time.

Not a .938 SV% 3 shutout, 8 game performance after the trade deadline.

Fair points also. I just meant that perhaps being on a team close to winning it all factored into his signing more than being an immediate #1 did.

SJ invested in Jones, so Reimer found another contender where he might get a Cup and a chance to play, though maybe not as a clear cut #1, and likely not right now, hence the 5 yr deal.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Fair points also. I just meant that perhaps being on a team close to winning it all factored into his signing more than being an immediate #1 did.

SJ invested in Jones, so Reimer found another contender where he might get a Cup and a chance to play, though maybe not as a clear cut #1, and likely not right now, hence the 5 yr deal.

Its possible, but one is thing is certain. Cox is a tool. Reimer's contract that he happily signed is nowhere near a $6M AAV. ;)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Its possible, but one is thing is certain. Cox is a tool. Reimer's contract that he happily signed is nowhere near a $6M AAV. ;)

You do know that the Leafs walk away from the contract talks as his ask price was to high.....that is a fact.

It was not Cox who screwed up negotiations, but Reimers and his agent. They asked for too much money. This I am happy about, as he has proven him self to be a long way from a goalie who could lead us to anything.

The fact that he signed for less then his reported ask is only proof that he over valued himself not that Cox miss reported it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I don't think the Fla deal was available to us, but I think he would've signed for less than Andersen. Here's hoping that Andersen is the answer, and certainly the team in front of him improving will influence us moving upwards in the standings. :)

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
You do know that the Leafs walk away from the contract talks as his ask price was to high.....that is a fact.

It was not Cox who screwed up negotiations, but Reimers and his agent. They asked for too much money. This I am happy about, as he has proven him self to be a long way from a goalie who could lead us to anything.

The fact that he signed for less then his reported ask is only proof that he over valued himself not that Cox miss reported it.

No that is NOT a fact. That is pure speculation. Not one person from the Leafs camp said the ask was too high and Riemer's agent, vehemently denied Cox's source and the REST of the Toronto media roasted Cox.

Cox has also since been reassigned.

Talks aren't demands, either. They're talks. We have no idea what numbers were actually thrown around and whether they were reasonable or not.

Anything else is an assumption.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's on Nonis and Carlyle, not Reimer. It was crystal clear under those two that Reimer was never going to truly get the chance to retain the starter role once they traded for Bernier.

But that's not an argument worth rehashing anymore.

Andersen should have all our support and the past goaltending situation laid to rest.
It's on Nonis and Carlyle that not one team was willing to give him a chance as a starter for a full season while other inexperienced goalies were being thrown in to that role? Guys like Talbot, Jones, Lehner, etc.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It's on Nonis and Carlyle that not one team was willing to give him a chance as a starter for a full season while other inexperienced goalies were being thrown in to that role? Guys like Talbot, Jones, Lehner, etc.

They did, unfortunately that season was shortened. He did carry a starter's workload just fine though based on his seasonal start % that season.

The Reimer, Scrivens tandem should have remained intact the following season. They were doing just fine.

That's the last I'm going to speak on the matter.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think it is fair to say the Leafs mishandled Reimer. And then to exacerbate it even worse they mishandled the Riemer/Bernier situation. That all being said I am glad that both Riemer and Bernier are gone. Not necessarily because of their performance only but due to the circus that revolved around them. Moving on from that has value too.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think it is fair to say the Leafs mishandled Reimer. And then to exacerbate it even worse they mishandled the Riemer/Bernier situation. That all being said I am glad that both Riemer and Bernier are gone. Not necessarily because of their performance only but due to the circus that revolved around them. Moving on from that has value too.

Agreed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No that is NOT a fact. That is pure speculation. Not one person from the Leafs camp said the ask was too high and Riemer's agent, vehemently denied Cox's source and the REST of the Toronto media roasted Cox.

Talks aren't demands, either. They're talks. We have no idea what numbers were actually thrown around and whether they were reasonable or not.

I'd agree with this. I don't think the Leafs wanted him at any price. It was time to move on.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I think it most defiantly is a fact.....the Leafs opened contract negotiations with him and then moved on. If his ask was reasonable in both cap hit and term they would have signed him. That is not an assumption but the truth in my opinion.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

SJ used reimer like a backup. He played the easier teams to rest Jones.
Jones>>reimer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is by far the boldest move of the Leafs new management group.

They decided that Andersen was "their guy" and backed that up by locking him into a long term contract. How Andersen fairs against the other potential options will set management up for either praise or scorn by Leaf fandom.

One though would have to assume they did their homework and Lou does have a nice history with goalies s

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think it most defiantly is a fact.....the Leafs opened contract negotiations with him and then moved on. If his ask was reasonable in both cap hit and term they would have signed him. That is not an assumption but the truth in my opinion.

You are free to think your opinion fact, but in fact it is just speculation based on the only proven factual information being that Reimer was in contract renewal talks but ended up being traded.

Nobody not immediately involved with the situation has any real clue of how reasonable or unreasonable negotiations were unfolding.

The reason could be as simple as new management (Shannyco) just wanting to build their legacy by finding their own goalies at the end of the day, even though negotiations were going perfectly smoothly.

Reimer was traded. The why is something we will never know for certain. Andersen is here. Time to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad