Confirmed with Link: Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M] II

LWOSLEAFS

Apr 20, 2016
The narrative here that 50-55 games is in line for a bona fide starter is a misnomer. That's on the low end, to say the least, and suggests that either the player is dealing with injury or struggling to give the team a chance to win, or the coach isn't sold on him for some other reason. Starting goalies, making starting goalie money (5M and up, generally speaking) are expected to be able to play 60 or more games. Here are the top 13 starters in the league with the number of regular season starts they had last season:

Holtby 66
Quick 68
Jones 65
Bishop 60
Lundqvist 64
MAF 58
Luongo 60
Crawford 58
Rinne 66
Dubnyk 66
Anderson (C) 60
Rask 58
Schneider 58

We can split hairs here, but let's not kid ourselves; a starter is a guy you want to play MINIMUM 60 games a year. If you're getting less, you're asking why.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We can split hairs here, but let's not kid ourselves; a starter is a guy you want to play MINIMUM 60 games a year. If you're getting less, you're asking why.

Luckily, sometimes answers are near the surface. A second young goalie worthy of starts with an incoming cap crunch would seem to fit the bill.

LWOSLEAFS

Apr 20, 2016
Luckily, sometimes answers are near the surface. A second young goalie worthy of starts with an incoming cap crunch would seem to fit the bill.

But that doesn't answer why your starter isn't carrying a 60 game (or more) workload. If Sparks or Bibeau are getting 27 starts next season, then the whole notion of trading for Andersen because you want to stabilize the net and start winning becomes a moot point.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
But that doesn't answer why your starter isn't carrying a 60 game (or more) workload. If Sparks or Bibeau are getting 27 starts next season, then the whole notion of trading for Andersen because you want to stabilize the net and start winning becomes a moot point.

Andersen with 54 games in 14-15 plus 2 injuries that season explains exactly why he didn't hit the 60 game mark.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bishop is asking for 7x7 and people here are arguing about this contract

:laugh: right?
and it will cost an arm and a leg to get get him i'd bet.

also - Bishop has a glass groin.

but please, let's continue how we didn't need Andersen.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A while back I thought that I would have been fine with waiting a year to see how Bernier did, I still thought there was some chance he'd be "the guy" but admittedly I thought that chance was pretty slim. The thing is though, if we wait a year and Bernier fails, then what? Then we're desperate and the best option out there might be a tire or two below what Andersen is now. I know we're not ready to win anything yet but I also believe that solid goaltending is very important to us right now so that all our rookie mistakes don't end up in the net. The more I think about it, the more I love this deal. The only thing that gives me some pause is the term but other than that, it seems like a great move. JMHO.

I would also add that if bernier does turn the corner, which I think there is a good chance he will, imo andersen projects as a better goalie. Many times babcock said that goalies are just big now a days. Andersen is BIG!
Also, iirc Lou said he seens andersen close to Schneider level!!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, big goalies are extremely important. When the puck is shot and the goalie has no vision / it gets deflected via a lucky bounce, the only thing the goalie can rely on is his size. No matter how skilled a small goalie is, if they can't see the puck or it gets deflected, that's not of much use, whereas size is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
:laugh: right?
and it will cost an arm and a leg to get get him i'd bet.

also - Bishop has a glass groin.

but please, let's continue how we didn't need Andersen.

Reported asking price from the Flames too is 6th overall. The 30ty + 2nd doesn't get you close to a top 10 pick.

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
Buffalo might be the only team dumb enough to take Bishop for that contract and I hope they do...just to have him injure his groin every year before the playoffs 7 years in row...if they ever get that far.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Boudreau has a history of limiting the number of games his #1 plays,with the exception of one year Boudreau has not had a goalie play over 60 games. Picking an arbitrary # of games played to define a quality of starter, is simply picking a number for the sake of picking a number. If I give a guy 50 games and he wins 40, he more valuable to me than a guy who starts 60 and wins 40.

2007-08 - Kolzig 54 games
2008-09 - Theodore 57 games
2009-10 - Theodore 47 games
2010-11 - Neuvirth 48 games
2011-12 - Vokoun 48 games
2012-13 - Hiller 73 games
2013-14 - Fasth 25 games, Hiller 26 games
2014-15 - Hiller 50 games
2015-16 - Andersen 54 games

Unfortunately people will judge this trade next year as a failure because Andersens stats will probably drop (compared to his Anaheim days), our team defence is pretty bad and for a goalie, team defence is so important.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Boudreau has a history of limiting the number of games his #1 plays,with the exception of one year Boudreau has not had a goalie play over 60 games. Picking an arbitrary # of games played to define a quality of starter, is simply picking a number for the sake of picking a number. If I give a guy 50 games and he wins 40, he more valuable to me than a guy who starts 60 and wins 40.

Unfortunately people will judge this trade next year as a failure because Andersens stats will probably drop (compared to his Anaheim days), our team defence is pretty bad and for a goalie, team defence is so important.
I agree with your point, but your years have to be off.

12-13 was the lockout season.

LWOSLEAFS

Apr 20, 2016

The argument tabled is that 50-55 games is an acceptable standard for a starting goalie in the NHL. You identified an exception, not the rule.

Mar 12, 2009
Based on what Elliot got, I think what we paid was fair, unless SJ does awful next season and it becomes a very early 2nd rounder.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Based on what Elliot got, I think what we paid was fair, unless SJ does awful next season and it becomes a very early 2nd rounder.

then it's still our pick.
the pick we give them is the highest middle pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You have to remember that Frederik Andersen is basically a third year goalie who won the starting job from the previous starter Jonas Hiller and fended off goalie of the future John Gibson for a couple of years too...

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Bishop is asking for 7x7 and people here are arguing about this contract

surely you're not suggesting these two netminders are anywhere close to comparable.

if it was bishop, even though some would grumble, we'd also have a good idea that we have a definite starter. that knows the east.

the only year that Andersen was the starter, was also his worst statistical year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Lundqvist hasn't played a minimum 60 games a year over the last three years. Only five goalies have. If you increase that to five years, there's not a single goaltender in the league that lives up to your work load standards.

As a career number, very very few goaltenders have anything more than the 50-55 starts per season on average.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Lundqvist hasn't played a minimum 60 games a year over the last three years. Only five goalies have. If you increase that to five years, there's not a single goaltender in the league that lives up to your work load standards.

As a career number, very very few goaltenders have anything more than the 50-55 starts per season on average.

True. We don't need Andersen to be Carey Price. We just need him not to be like Bernier.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
5 years can work out fine for the leafs. Or this can be an painful and awful long 5 year contract. There is more downside to upside in this contract.

The best option for the leafs is if Andersen posts close to Vezina quality #s to make the contract a steal. Otherwise they like many other teams, the leafs are overpaying or getting fair value for his services. The better teams however, have more value based and high production contracts on their rosters. Time will tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad