Confirmed with Link: Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M] II

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That should not be a question since only very few can really do it. The regular season is so long and means not much. It's all about the playoffs and you should keep your goalie fresh for the playoffs. So why exhausting your goalie you pay much money for in the regular season.
There are goalies who played less games but better than Andersen and for less money. A look at last season:

nhl.com EVsave% with more than 30 games played
#1 .938 Reimer played 40 games
#4 .934 Elliott 42 games
#6 .933 Greiss 41 games
#12 .930 Neuvirth 32 games
#15 .928 Andersen 43 games

Any combination of Reimer, Elliott, Greiss and Neuvirth is cheaper than Andersen and his backup. Reimer was a UFA this year, the other 3 will be next year and also Greiss and Neuvirth were UFA last year.
I'm excited for the comparables, Andersen and his backup against any combination of those 4.

Even if we say that EVS% is an effective measurement of skill, which I don't think it is even if it's the best we've got, you miss one big factor there.

Goaltending value is tied up in one thing above all else. Ability to give consistently competitive numbers. In that respect, only Elliott looks better than Andersen and that's if you completely buy that he's taken a last development step, not just protected by the Blues system.

If you look at Adjusted Fenwick save percentage, which compares save percentage with what would be expected with the type and location of shots against, over the last four years, the guys you mention rank like this:

Greiss 0.92 in 92 games
Elliott 0.74 in 143 games
Andersen 0.69 in 125 games
Neuvirth 0.22 in 92 games
Reimer 0.21 in 144 games

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But that doesn't answer why your starter isn't carrying a 60 game (or more) workload. If Sparks or Bibeau are getting 27 starts next season, then the whole notion of trading for Andersen because you want to stabilize the net and start winning becomes a moot point.

But neither of them will be the backup so no worries in regards to them getting those starts

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Even if we say that EVS% is an effective measurement of skill, which I don't think it is even if it's the best we've got, you miss one big factor there.

Goaltending value is tied up in one thing above all else. Ability to give consistently competitive numbers. In that respect, only Elliott looks better than Andersen and that's if you completely buy that he's taken a last development step, not just protected by the Blues system.

Of course it's not easy to compare, especially when they play on different teams, but we don't have other things to compare easily.
Also if those 4 play more than 41 games with not enough rest between games they might not have good stats, I want to alternate 2 goalies. But still this will be interesting.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Once you have amassed a body of work, you shouldn't look at a single season in isolation when it comes to goaltending, IMO, except to see if that goalie is declining or not.

I wanted Reimer signed back as starter, but its clear a new direction in goaltending was called for due to too much baggage with him amongst Leafs Nation, whether warranted or no.

Andersen will be just fine in T.O.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If you look at Adjusted Fenwick save percentage, which compares save percentage with what would be expected with the type and location of shots against, over the last four years, the guys you mention rank like this:

Greiss 0.92 in 92 games
Elliott 0.74 in 143 games
Andersen 0.69 in 125 games
Neuvirth 0.22 in 92 games
Reimer 0.21 in 144 games

Reimer, Neuvirth and Andersen are just too young to compare the last 4 years. Goalies take time to develop and they can be misused too.

ForSpareParts*

Once you have amassed a body of work, you shouldn't look at a single season in isolation when it comes to goaltending, IMO, except to see if that goalie is declining or not.

I wanted Reimer signed back as starter, but its clear a new direction in goaltending was called for due to too much baggage with him amongst Leafs Nation, whether warranted or no.

Are you saying the fans (Leafs Nation) traded Reimer and decided not to re-sign him?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Who thought Reimer could be signed for only 3.4M. I think FLA got a steal, Reimer will be good.
As others said, Andersen is much risk, he needs to be good to live up to his contract and trade.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Who thought Reimer could be signed for only 3.4M. I think FLA got a steal, Reimer will be good.
As others said, Andersen is much risk, he needs to be good to live up to his contract and trade.

Really? He has a middling starter's salary and puts up middling numbers as a starter.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I assume a lot of people given he signed to be a Plan B/backup goalie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Only? Seems like a lot for a backup.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Eventually. As early as this season. Luongo is no spring chicken.
I agree the idea is to eventually have him play, but you could be waiting 2-3-4 years for that to happen.

Lou's 37 now and Reimer certainly seems like a plan B option.

I doubt many teams were willing to dump that kind of money on a guy they don't feel can start for them now.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree the idea is to eventually have him play, but you could be waiting 2-3-4 years for that to happen.

Lou's 37 now and Reiner certainly seems like a plan B option.

Yeah, I guess part of the salary was insurance for the Team in case of injury or retirement.

This must have been the closest he could get to a starting job.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A newly minted 5 year contract generally means that you'll be given the chance to be.

In the meantime he couldn't have asked for a better mentor in goal.

Yes they wouldn't have given him that term if they didn't think he'd be needed at some point. That point though could be a ways down the road.

Don't you think he would have taken a gauranteed starters job if one was presented?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Yes they wouldn't have given him that term if they didn't think he'd be needed at some point. That point though could be a ways down the road.

Don't you think he would have taken a gauranteed starters job if one was presented?

There weren't any to be had by the time free agency hit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He needs to start in more than half a season's worth of games to be considered legit. That's the only knock on him now, because it isn't his play.

What about to simply get a chance? Plenty of back-ups and 1B type goalies have been acquired to start.

Hell one pushed him out of a job here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad