Confirmed with Link: Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M] II

Mr Hockey*

HD Sv% is supposedly the best goalie stat, I put up chart a while ago on here. :laugh:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Reimer was a good guy, but he's gone. He's been gone since he got traded :). Best of luck to him.

More focused and interested in Andersen's season. He is the guy and will be for a long while. Curious to see how he does with this bunch in front of him and Babcock's systems. Didn't watch the Ducks nearly enough to say what I think of his goaltending. Will hope for the best though.

Ya, me too. I will hope for the best ..... yet the idea of him getting shellacked in a few games & losing his confidence has crept to mind a few times. Babcock systems should help, but just not sure about our defense yet. Hope its just being paranoid for no reason.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Ya, me too. I will hope for the best ..... yet the idea of him getting shellacked in a few games & losing his confidence has crept to mind a few times. Babcock systems should help, but just not sure about our defense yet. Hope its just being paranoid for no reason.

Actually, according to Boudreau Andersen's MO is that he doesn't get rattled by a bad goal or game. They don't stick with him at all. A good quality to have in a starter.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Actually, according to Boudreau Andersen's MO is that he doesn't get rattled by a bad goal or game. They don't stick with him at all. A good quality to have in a starter.

He hasn't played in front of the Leafs yet.

Q: Enroth's stats were better when he played with:
  • L.A. Kings
  • Buffalo.

But, yes a good quality to have.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I don't know why everyone's so worried about him getting lit up with our defense. They do a good job of keeping shots to the outside under Babcock. Even if we still had Carlyle and his 36 shots against per game, SV% tends to rise with more shots against. Jusy anecdotally, how many games do you remember Reimer/Bernier stealing when facing 38+ shots, and then letting in 3 garbage goals on an "easy" 24 shots?

I'm sure the management did their homework and got the right kind of goalie for the kind of defense they expect to have. Have to imagine Reilly and Gardiner are going to love having his pick movement skills back there after seeing Reimer, and to a lesser extent Bernier, fumble pucks without pressure.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
OT: Sorry if it has been posted elsewhere, but here's Andersen's mask which he'll be wearing for Team Europe in the World Cup:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
HD Sv% is supposedly the best goalie stat, I put up chart a while ago on here. :laugh:

I thought so too and it's sad that war-on-ice isn't there any longer. But I assume that they generated their HD stats from the data which was given by nhl.com and this data isn't comparable because there seem to be different standarts in different arenas.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Added to that: Both Enroth and Andersen has outperformed their expected save percentage, Andersen by quite a lot. Bernier and Reimer has over the last three years an average comparable performance.

Why compare 3 years of young developing goalies. We all know that Reimer made great developments last season, for him only last season should be counted. We also should assume that Bernier was little prepared for last season, for Bernier I would only count 2013/14 for comparisons. Andersen might be better than last season because he was injured in November.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why compare 3 years of young developing goalies. We all know that Reimer made great developments last season, for him only last season should be counted. We also should assume that Bernier was little prepared for last season, for Bernier I would only count 2013/14 for comparisons. Andersen might be better than last season because he was injured in November.

That same argument gets said about any youngish player who has a career year, and it's often just that. It's easy to accept narratives as established truth, and it can lead you astray. Couple of things to consider:

1) Reimer and Bernier are not that young anymore.
2) The circumstances of their deployment hasn't changed drastically.
3) The reason you expand sample sizes is to eliminate the effect of streaks. What you are doing in your argument is try to show each goalie at their best, when that doesn't capture the whole of their game.
4) For example, you want to exclude Bernier's last season. But the mental weakness and such that ruined last season for Bernier is part of his make. By ignoring it, you ignore a crucial part of him as a goaltender.
5) In fact, the times that it actually helps accuracy of an evaluation to limit sample sizes are precious few. Usually when you do, you just help yourself get the conclusions you want to get, subconsciously or not.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know why everyone's so worried about him getting lit up with our defense. They do a good job of keeping shots to the outside under Babcock. Even if we still had Carlyle and his 36 shots against per game, SV% tends to rise with more shots against. Jusy anecdotally, how many games do you remember Reimer/Bernier stealing when facing 38+ shots, and then letting in 3 garbage goals on an "easy" 24 shots?

I'm sure the management did their homework and got the right kind of goalie for the kind of defense they expect to have. Have to imagine Reilly and Gardiner are going to love having his pick movement skills back there after seeing Reimer, and to a lesser extent Bernier, fumble pucks without pressure.

Agreed. I mentioned Babcock's focus on team defense should help a lot. I guess we'll find out.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Lego Batman :thumbu:

This guy has good tastes :laugh:.

He is Danish after all. ;)

...and the voice of Lego Batman....
o-WILL-ARNETT-LEAFS-facebook.jpg

Mr Hockey*

Anderson looks fundamentally very strong in his positioning and looks skilled also.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That same argument gets said about any youngish player who has a career year, and it's often just that. It's easy to accept narratives as established truth, and it can lead you astray. Couple of things to consider:

1) Reimer and Bernier are not that young anymore.
2) The circumstances of their deployment hasn't changed drastically.
3) The reason you expand sample sizes is to eliminate the effect of streaks. What you are doing in your argument is try to show each goalie at their best, when that doesn't capture the whole of their game.
4) For example, you want to exclude Bernier's last season. But the mental weakness and such that ruined last season for Bernier is part of his make. By ignoring it, you ignore a crucial part of him as a goaltender.
5) In fact, the times that it actually helps accuracy of an evaluation to limit sample sizes are precious few. Usually when you do, you just help yourself get the conclusions you want to get, subconsciously or not.

I wouldn't call Reimer's last season a streak, he was one of the best. Sometimes you change your practise and you can harvest big steps of improvement. Reimer will keep this.

Bernier might have had groin trouble from the start last season. If you feel pain you will lose focus. That won't happen this year, Bernier will be prepared, otherwise he has to play in Europe.

All my predictions I make are based on good useage, both Reimer and Bernier didn't get that last season, they were both run down to injury. That's the job of a coach to find out how much he can use his goalies. Andersen last season was overused too at the start of the season. Leafs were so bad, they even brought Reimer back too early, I would have fired those idiots directly. And Babcock was throwing Bernier under the bus when it is his job to use his goalies right, of course Bernier was less prepared but it's still the job of a coach to discover that and not to overuse them.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wouldn't call Reimer's last season a streak, he was one of the best. Sometimes you change your practise and you can harvest big steps of improvement. Reimer will keep this.

That could be the case. Might very well not be. It most often is not when the circumstances are similar in a player in the middle of his career. Like I said, you're searching for justification so the results can be doctored to be more pleasant.

Bernier might have had groin trouble from the start last season. If you feel pain you will lose focus. That won't happen this year, Bernier will be prepared, otherwise he has to play in Europe.

Again, you want to use a theory to doctor the results. Yes, Bernier will have to play his best to remain in the NHL, but his best isn't an accurate description of his abilities.

All my predictions I make are based on good useage, both Reimer and Bernier didn't get that last season, they were both run down to injury. That's the job of a coach to find out how much he can use his goalies. Andersen last season was overused too at the start of the season. Leafs were so bad, they even brought Reimer back too early, I would have fired those idiots directly. And Babcock was throwing Bernier under the bus when it is his job to use his goalies right, of course Bernier was less prepared but it's still the job of a coach to discover that and not to overuse them.

Oh right, you are that guy.

Our coaching staff doesn't live or die based on how they handle the work load of the goalies.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That could be the case. Might very well not be. It most often is not when the circumstances are similar in a player in the middle of his career. Like I said, you're searching for justification so the results can be doctored to be more pleasant.

Again, you want to use a theory to doctor the results. Yes, Bernier will have to play his best to remain in the NHL, but his best isn't an accurate description of his abilities.

Of course this is my opinion, we will see how it will work out,
but till now I was very right.
Said it was a mistake to go to arbitration with Bernier, they had only to qualify him and if he chose arbitration they should have signed Neuvirth.
Bashed Babcock for his 60 games statement.
Said how Reimer and Bernier should be used at the start of the season.
Said 2 days before Reimers groin injury that the damage is done.
Never wanted Andersen in the first place.
Said Enroth would be a good signing.
Leafs could have saved millions and could have been better with everything involved their goalies, that's why I criticize them, I could have done better.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Our coaching staff doesn't live or die based on how they handle the work load of the goalies.

But the results show everything you need to know. Those who made the goalie decisions are losers.

And more surprising is it seems there is no accountability. I thought they are in the winning business.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Of course this is my opinion, we will see how it will work out,
but till now I was very right.
Said it was a mistake to go to arbitration with Bernier, they had only to qualify him and if he chose arbitration they should have signed Neuvirth.
Bashed Babcock for his 60 games statement.
Said how Reimer and Bernier should be used at the start of the season.
Said 2 days before Reimers groin injury that the damage is done.
Never wanted Andersen in the first place.
Said Enroth would be a good signing.
Leafs could have saved millions and could have been better with everything involved their goalies, that's why I criticize them, I could have done better.

I'm sorry, Lenny, I just can't take you seriously when you write things like this. No, you wouldn't have done better. Your arguments are filled with holes and logical leaps that you seem perpetually blind to.

But the results show everything you need to know. Those who made the goalie decisions are losers.

And more surprising is it seems there is no accountability. I thought they are in the winning business.

Could be because they are not as prone as you to look at isolated events, theorize about the cause and then twisting that theory into fact, then make far-reaching decision based on that without taking any contextual factors into account.

Because that would be grossly incompetent behavior. You don't make decisions regarding personnel with wide responsibilities based on a minor thing that happened that could perhaps have been avoided in just one part of their job description.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I'm sorry, Lenny, I just can't take you seriously when you write things like this. No, you wouldn't have done better.

Last summer you asked me how much money Bernier should be worth. In the end Leafs paid over 6M for one year of Bernier. Sure I wouldn't have taken him to arbitration, I said from the start that that was a big mistake.

You and all the other Bernier fans had sleepless nights because Reimer kicked ass. You should still eat your crow.

Babcock threw the medical staff under the bus when they brought Reimer back too early. But he's the head coach and responsible for running him down in the first place, played him much more than Lundqvist played. How can someone be so foolish, that's why I complained at that time.

Read back, after Reimer's last game before the injury I said the damage is done. But Babcock didn't let him rest even after 3 games in 4 nights twice and Reimer had to show up in practise. Where is the accountability for these moronic mistakes.

On the goalie front Babcock showed that he isn't in the winning business, running down 2 goalies in the first 2 months.

Leafs should pay me peanuts for my experience, they would save millions LOL

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Anderson is going to be an epic fail. He has already been put on a pedestal by Lou and what does he have to work for now? I hope I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad