Player Discussion Frank Vatrano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA

Because Bergeron is our best player by a mile and Marchand is our best winger by a mile. Krejci is playing with wingers much less productive than the days of Lucic-Krejci-Horton/Iginla. Bergeron is line #1 for sure.

But to talk about Vatrano for a bit, I'm excited to see what he's got. Let's hope he has place in the NHL and not a tweener. He has a good motor and isn't afraid of some gritty work so that could go along way for him. And obviously his rocket shot helps out.

I think a Top 6 winger ceiling would be nice. But I'd also settle for a bottom 6 Michael Ryder-lite type. An inconsistent goal scorer with a wicked shot but can pot 15-20 gino's and maybe get on fire every now and then. Also doesn't hurt you in your own end. Those are the guys that provide cup winning depth.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Because Bergeron is our best player by a mile and Marchand is our best winger by a mile. Krejci is playing with wingers much less productive than the days of Lucic-Krejci-Horton/Iginla. Bergeron is line #1 for sure.

But to talk about Vatrano for a bit, I'm excited to see what he's got. Let's hope he has place in the NHL and not a tweener. He has a good motor and isn't afraid of some gritty work so that could go along way for him. And obviously his rocket shot helps out.

I think a Top 6 winger ceiling would be nice. But I'd also settle for a bottom 6 Michael Ryder-lite type. An inconsistent goal scorer with a wicked shot but can pot 15-20 gino's and maybe get on fire every now and then. Also doesn't hurt you in your own end. Those are the guys that provide cup winning depth.

QFT. This describes a lot of Pittsburgh Penguins.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

this is why you don't give up on Hayes right now. last year was a significant regression for him. Statistically it's very likely he's better this year, and he's the kind of guy (like a Ryder) who could be the whipping boy for months but then get hot at the right time and be a hero.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“Last year was my first full year [of pro hockey], so now coming into this year I know what to expect,†said Vatrano. “I kind of know what it takes to play at the next level, and how to be a complete player. Going into summer that was kind of my mentality: to become a complete player. That’s something I’ve been working at all summer.

“I’m obviously excited for the opportunity [for a top-six role], but a lot of that is up to the coaches and management. I’ve just got to work hard and prove to them I can play in that kind of role, but at the end of the day I’m just going to play my hardest and be the most complete player I can be.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/vatrano-looking-become-complete-player-bruins-season

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He's been working out all summer at the place where my son did his offseason skating and conditioning this year. I haven't seen him personally (he's there at different times), but I heard he looks good. Would love to see him impress enough at camp to snag that LW spot that was earmarked for Vesey.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
we know he has the shot and release.
As long as he skates hard and plays smart, I think he will have no problem staying in the top 6.

If we can get somebody to get him the puck on a consistent basis, the goals will come.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
we know he has the shot and release.
As long as he skates hard and plays smart, I think he will have no problem staying in the top 6.

If we can get somebody to get him the puck on a consistent basis, the goals will come.

I just wonder how consistent he will be . He hit a major dry spell last year , not uncommon for a young player still finding his game but he will have a problem staying in the top 6 if he repeats that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
“Last year was my first full year [of pro hockey], so now coming into this year I know what to expect,†said Vatrano. “I kind of know what it takes to play at the next level, and how to be a complete player. Going into summer that was kind of my mentality: to become a complete player. That’s something I’ve been working at all summer.

“I’m obviously excited for the opportunity [for a top-six role], but a lot of that is up to the coaches and management. I’ve just got to work hard and prove to them I can play in that kind of role, but at the end of the day I’m just going to play my hardest and be the most complete player I can be.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/vatrano-looking-become-complete-player-bruins-season

sounds like the kid has a real attitude problem:sarcasm:

Really enjoyed watching him last year, clearly has some work to do in order to round out his game and his overall development but has potential written all over him and a few intangibles such as coach-ability and willingness which can`t be taught

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Wonder how much his injury will effect him when he returns. Skating has always been his biggest project, coming off of a broken foot I cant imagine him being all that effective.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Wonder how much his injury will effect him when he returns. Skating has always been his biggest project, coming off of a broken foot I cant imagine him being all that effective.

Skating is actually one of his biggest assets. He's probably the second fastest forward on the team, behind Spooner and just ahead of Pastrnak.

Look up what his teammates say about him, including at the World Championships. They consistently point to speed as the first thing that jumps out.

His foot will heal, and he will not be effected by it.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Skating is actually one of his biggest assets. He's probably the second fastest forward on the team, behind Spooner and just ahead of Pastrnak.

Look up what his teammates say about him, including at the World Championships. They consistently point to speed as the first thing that jumps out.

Eventually. Even when he makes it back he won't be at 100%. But he will make it back. It's just going to take time.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Up to last year his biggest challenge was keeping his weight down and his skating up- I'm curious what a couple months off his feet will do and how long it will take him to get back to where he was last year (which is still less than what we were hoping for him this year).

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Can't wait to get him back. The guy just knows how to finish. He's got "it." Something you can't teach ('cus I'd love him to teach Hayes).

I see why people like Czar...but he's just not ready. Gets lost in the wash often. Vatrano would be a solid "right now" upgrade.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can't wait to get him back. The guy just knows how to finish. He's got "it." Something you can't teach ('cus I'd love him to teach Hayes).

I see why people like Czar...but he's just not ready. Gets lost in the wash often. Vatrano would be a solid "right now" upgrade.

I see no reason why they can't have both Czarnik and Vatrano in the line-up.

Czarnik is 24 in Dec. he's not that young in hockey term, he's played well, sure he's had some lulls, but what exactly does a player have to do to be "ready". Kid can play, and deserves to be here.

If Czarnik isn't ready than Riley Nash and Jimmy Hayes were never "ready".

Gets lost in the wash. What does that even mean?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I suspect it`ll take him time, just long enough for some here to pounce on this thread and post things like "what`s wrong with Vatrano" while dismissing the fact he`d be coming back from this injury;)

No training camp, behind 3-4 months, IMO, about a month of in game action to get "caught up" if you will

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
With his scoring touch and speed this bruin team becomes more dangerous and dynamic.

Can't wait for him to come back...What is his status!!!!

Wasn't it 4 months from time of injury?

Edit: Just checked, 3 monrths as of late September sooooo....earliest bet would be Christmas?

Last edited:

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Frank Vatrano is exactly the sniper the Bruins need. Although we may have to wait until the calender turns 2017 before he returns, I really look forward to see Frank Vatrano scoring goals again. What an amazing season he had last year.

2015-2016
AHL First All-Star Team;
AHL All-Rookie Team;
AHL Most Goals (Willie Marshall Award);
AHL Rookie of the Year (Red Garrett Memorial Award);

AHL Player of the Week (Oct. 11);
AHL Player of the Week (Mar. 6);

AHL Rookie of the Month (October);
AHL Rookie of the Month (March);

2010-2011
US Nats U17 WHC Silver Medal;
2011-2012
US Nats U18 WJC Gold Medal;

See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=59733#sthash.uQm46856.dpuf

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
He's dure back December (not sure if that was just to be able to skate or to actually play. He on the left of Krejci and Backes will be dynamite. Makes all the other lines that little bit better too. Spooner can be 3C with Nash and Beleskey, Moore Acciari Schaller on the 4th with Hayes the odd man out.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He's dure back December (not sure if that was just to be able to skate or to actually play. He on the left of Krejci and Backes will be dynamite. Makes all the other lines that little bit better too. Spooner can be 3C with Nash and Beleskey, Moore Acciari Schaller on the 4th with Hayes the odd man out.

Czarnik?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad