GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I think lines of

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Vatarno - Krejci - Backes

Could be the top six next year.

Perfect. Love it. And it leaves the 3rd line pretty well set too. I hate Jimmy Hayes, but I think putting him with Spooner and Beleskey gives him a honest shot at a good season.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm very doubtful about Frank,mostly due to his late emergence and the colossal amount of shots he has taken to bring him success. If his shots on net are cut to 1/3rd,while the goalies are at least 25% better,then what do we have,because I believe that is the scenario. If he's a 25 goal guy based on his limited NHL viewing,that's a success.

I scouted the (then called) EJHL when Vatrano was there, and I wasn't overly impressed. Best shot in the league, but he was heavy and only played in bursts.

The biggest change in his game is his fitness level. I saw an interview with him where he talked about having to change his lifestyle after college. That the Bruins gave him a very strict nutrition/diet plan to follow and that they expected him to be (and play) under 10% body fat.

The player he is now, as a result of his new fitness level, is completely different. He's fast. And he's constantly industrious, throwing hits, digging for pucks and going to the net. His top end may be another Beleskey-type (which would be a home run for a college FA) but I think he's going to be better. He was on pace for 208 shots last year, as a rookie, with under 12 minutes of ice time. I think he's going to be better next year and approach 300 in year 3. I know that's tops in the league and to get there he's going to need to play with either Krejci or Spooner, more than Marchand/Bergeron, because I think he'll need a classic playmaker who is going to look to set him up.

Last edited:

moonshot summit

Jun 30, 2015
Halifax, NS
I know that's tops in the league and to get there he's going to need to play with either Krejci or Spooner, more than Marchand/Bergeron, because I think he'll need a classic playmakers who is going to look to set him up.

This right here is why I'd much rather Vatrano not play with 37/63. Just not enough puck to go around. They all like to shoot.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This right here is why I'd much rather Vatrano not play with 37/63. Just not enough puck to go around. They all like to shoot.

Agreed. He could be good with them, everyone is. But I'm not sure he'll be his best or that they'll be their best with him. Bergeron and Marchand both took over 250 shots last year, add another guy to that line who shoots a ton and something's got to give. Like you said, not enough puck to go around.

On the other hand, Krejci and Spooner don't shoot much, about ~150 each. They'd rather be the set-up men. They need someone on their line that's going to put pucks on net in volume. Vatrano seems like a perfect fit.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. He could be good with them, everyone is. But I'm not sure he'll be his best or that they'll be their best with him. Bergeron and Marchand both took over 250 shots last year, add another guy to that line who shoots a ton and something's got to give. Like you said, not enough puck to go around.

On the other hand, Krejci and Spooner don't shoot much, about ~150 each. They'd rather be the set-up men. They need someone on their line that's going to put pucks on net in volume. Vatrano seems like a perfect fit.

Couldn't agree more- Vatrano with the two vets could get 300 shot pace

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I scouted the (then called) EJHL when Vatrano was there, and I wasn't overly impressed. Best shot in the league, but he was heavy and only played in bursts.

The biggest change in his game is his fitness level. I saw an interview with him where he talked about having to change his lifestyle after college. That the Bruins gave him a very strict nutrition/diet plan to follow and that they expected him to be (and play) under 10% body fat.

The player he is now, as a result of his new fitness level, is completely different. He's fast. And he's constantly industrious, throwing hits, digging for pucks and going to the net. His top end may be another Beleskey-type (which would be a home run for a college FA) but I think he's going to be better. He was on pace for 208 shots last year, as a rookie, with under 12 minutes of ice time. I think he's going to be better next year and approach 300 in year 3. I know that's tops in the league and to get there he's going to need to play with either Krejci or Spooner, more than Marchand/Bergeron, because I think he'll need a classic playmaker who is going to look to set him up.

Doesn't his family own a deli or a sub shop? Poor kid, the temptation must be brutal! :laugh:

Plus being of the same ethnic origin as him, an Italian mother will just try to plump you up every day of the year. Mangia, mangia!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Doesn't his family own a deli or a sub shop? Poor kid, the temptation must be brutal! :laugh:

Plus being of the same ethnic origin as him, an Italian mother will just try to plump you up every day of the year. Mangia, mangia!

Pizza shop. Antonio's.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I've been there! Eat, eat. Take some food. Sit down, don't be rude.

It's funny because in the interview he even said, "it's a really hard number to hit" referencing the 10% body fat goal.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Pizza shop. Antonio's.

Now I wish they'd adopt me.

I've been there! Eat, eat. Take some food. Sit down, don't be rude.

It's funny because in the interview he even said, "it's a really hard number to hit" referencing the 10% body fat goal.

Ahahah exactly! And the worst comment is "that tastes so good" because you get another big load of food coming your way asap! :laugh:

Ahahah I feel for Frankie! I already love the kid.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I've been advocating putting Spooner with Bergeron and Marchand. It gives them the best passer on the RW that they've ever had and probably the 2nd best offensive winger. It also shelters Spooner and puts Backes in the role he's best suited for ( third line center ).

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If Frank gets the majority of his icetime with a healthy Krejci and Pastrnak,I'd guess a 22 goal 15 assist season. If he's slotted with Spooner and Hayes again,I'd drop those numbers to 16 goals and 10 assists.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I've been advocating putting Spooner with Bergeron and Marchand. It gives them the best passer on the RW that they've ever had and probably the 2nd best offensive winger. It also shelters Spooner and puts Backes in the role he's best suited for ( third line center ).

Not saying I'm 1000% against it, but it also means you are putting your worst defensive player on your shutdown line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not saying I'm 1000% against it, but it also means you are putting your worst defensive player on your shutdown line.

You can debate if he's the team's worst defensive player, but suffice to say his defensive game is not trusted by Claude, same with Pastrnak, which is why I seriously doubt you'll see either on the RW of that line. Even though I wouldn't mind Pasta there (not a big fan of the Krejci-Pasta pairing).

But I hate Spooner on his off-wing.

I've said this before, he's likely going to have to adjust to playing a fair amount of wing this season. He's struggled on the wing before, but they might not have a choice, Claude is going to love Backes at C, and Spooner is too good to center the 4th line.

Why, why make the adjustment to wing even harder for Spooner by asking him to play his off-wing as well?

Marchand - Bergeron - ?????

????? - Krejci - Pastrnak

Spooner - Backes - ?????

That's your 6 best forwards split up into 3 pairings.

Fill in the gaps however with a decent bunch of options.

Belesky
Vatrano
Hayes
Heinen
Nash
Debrusk
Griffith
Ferlin
Randell
Czarnik
etc.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You can debate if he's the team's worst defensive player, but suffice to say his defensive game is not trusted by Claude, same with Pastrnak, which is why I seriously doubt you'll see either on the RW of that line. Even though I wouldn't mind Pasta there (not a big fan of the Krejci-Pasta pairing).

But I hate Spooner on his off-wing.

I've said this before, he's likely going to have to adjust to playing a fair amount of wing this season. He's struggled on the wing before, but they might not have a choice, Claude is going to love Backes at C, and Spooner is too good to center the 4th line.

Why, why make the adjustment to wing even harder for Spooner by asking him to play his off-wing as well?

Marchand - Bergeron - ?????

????? - Krejci - Pastrnak

Spooner - Backes - ?????

That's your 6 best forwards split up into 3 pairings.

Fill in the gaps however with a decent bunch of options.

Belesky
Vatrano
Hayes
Heinen
Nash
Debrusk
Griffith
Ferlin
Randell
Czarnik
etc.

Spooner actually has played on the Bergeron and Marchand lone before and played well. I'm on my phone right now so it's kind of a pain in the assignment to look it up

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Spooner actually has played on the Bergeron and Marchand lone before and played well. I'm on my phone right now so it's kind of a pain in the assignment to look it up

5 on 5, Spooner played with Marchand for 88 mins last year and with Bergy for 25. The year before he played with Marchand for 12 mins and Bergy 9.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada

I like that, assuming Spooner is not traded or packaged in a trade for some much needed Dman.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He has in spot duty. Pastrnak had a cup of coffee there as well when he first got called up to Boston.

But as a long-term solution I'm not a fan at all of Spooner on his off-wing, especially on the Bergeron line. Not the way Claude uses that line.

Although I'll admit I'm not a fan of any guys on their off-wing in today's game. Outside of some elite level talents (OV, Kane, etc.) it should be avoided.

And really, once you get into the offensive zone 5 on 5 , it really doesn't matter. Guys are rotating all over the place. How many goals did Marchand score last year from the right side of the offensive zone? A fair amount.

But it's going to be hard to avoid this season. At minimum I see at least one RW being a left-shot, maybe even two guys. My preference is for it to be Vatrano.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Belesky ends up in the RW spot on the Bergeron line.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'll admit, I'm intrigued about the idea of Vatrano with Krejci, but I think the best solution is to put him with Spooner to get a scoring line that can be sheltered defensively.

I'd go with the following:

Marchand/Bergeron/Backes
Belesky/Krejci/Pastrnak
Vatrano/Spooner/Heinen
Randall/Nash/Hayes

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'll admit, I'm intrigued about the idea of Vatrano with Krejci, but I think the best solution is to put him with Spooner to get a scoring line that can be sheltered defensively.

I'd go with the following:

Marchand/Bergeron/Backes
Belesky/Krejci/Pastrnak
Vatrano/Spooner/Heinen
Randall/Nash/Hayes

So how do you shelter those bottom two lines 41 games on the road when the home team gets last change?

Those two lines defensively would get eaten for breakfast.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
5 on 5, Spooner played with Marchand for 88 mins last year and with Bergy for 25. The year before he played with Marchand for 12 mins and Bergy 9.

Pretty small sample size to determine Spooner "played well" with Marchand and Bergeron.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Pretty small sample size to determine Spooner "played well" with Marchand and Bergeron.

I agree. I always think a player needs a steady 20 game look in a situation,allowing him to adapt and then hopefully jell. Most times they don't get anything close.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Personally, since I think Vatrano can play both wings. I'd like to see him paired with Spooner/Backes.

Spooner takes offensive draws: LW: Vatrano - C: Spooner - RW: Backes
Backes takes defensive draws: LW: Spooner - C: Backes - RW: Vatrano
Best of both worlds; Backes as the vet to influence the younger players; the younger players to keep Backes on his toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad