Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Christian Folin to one-year contract, $800K

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

fOmCAy3.jpg

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'll never understand the hatrid of Hagg. He's a solid 3rd pair DMan and could possibly evolve into a 4/5 if given the opportunity.

He isn't a solid 3rd pair D-man right now. He gets dominated at ES and has the 2nd worst 5v5 production on the entire team (somehow Read was worse). He fails miserably in suppressing shots and is in general a terrible puck mover. The only thing he really has going for him is his physical play, which if you aren't good at anything else is pretty worthless.

I'm not saying Hagg can't improve to be a decent bottom pair guy, but right now he either belongs in the AHL or as a 7th defenseman.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hagg is awesome and all teams would want him except five posters on this board only. Folin is gonna make it hard on teams. Forwards start back checking with propose now to help out all of the dnen.

Reactions: Larry44

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Hagg is awesome and all teams would want him except five posters on this board only. Folin is gonna make it hard on teams. Forwards start back checking with propose now to help out all of the dnen.

There are 6 of us..I don't like his worthless ass either.

Reactions: Amorgus

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Why do you think Hagg is awesome? He's not even exciting in his physicality--the one standout "skill". I can't recall any good open ice hits last season. What I remember is all the backskating and watching the puck in. Do you think NHL players find Hagg intimidating because he mostly cherry picks hits in one tiny area of the ice?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why do you think Hagg is awesome? He's not even exciting in his physicality--the one standout "skill". I can't recall any good open ice hits last season. What I remember is all the backskating and watching the puck in. Do you think NHL players find Hagg intimidating because he mostly cherry picks hits in one tiny area of the ice?

Because his evaluation of players is terrible.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hagg must be the worst 22 year old 18:08 rookie defenseman in NHL history, going by this board. Essentially tied, by far, with AMac for most disadvantageous zone starts among Flyers D. 89 shots in 70 games. +5. Hits, blocks shots. Should be limited to 3rd pair, but for a rookie in difficult minutes on a subpar D, he wasn’t as God awful as many would have you believe for a 22 y/o rookie.

Reactions: Larry44

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Folin is an old school defensive defenseman, even more so than Ryan Suter. He generates very little offense, doesn't shoot and doesn't take risky passes. If you like "modern" D-men like Burns/Karlsson, you won't see anything they do here. Personally I love his way of very defensive playing.

There is also something else... Most of this career he has been a player with good/positive plusminus rating and in every NHL team he has beat his defensive pairing in plusminus. So either his defensive pairings have been absolute shit or he has been playing hockey the right way!

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We have plenty of offensive and hybrid Dmen up and coming. I guess having one or two destructive old school defenders to balance it out might not hurt as long as they can outskate Luke Schenn and Nick Grossmann.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Folin is an old school defensive defenseman, even more so than Ryan Suter. He generates very little offense, doesn't shoot and doesn't take risky passes. If you like "modern" defensive guys like Burns/Karlsson, you won't see anything they do here. Personally I love his way of very defensive playing.

There is also something else... Most of this career he has been a player with good/positive plusminus rating and in every NHL team he has beat his defensive pairing in plusminus. So either his defensive pairings have been absolute **** or he has been playing hockey the right way!

When people say modern defensive defenseman they aren't saying they want 6 Burns/Karlsson's.

They want somebody whos defense is still their best asset. Who is at least a league average but hopefully above average skater. Their defensive acumen and decent to good skating allows them to hold the defensive blue and force the other team to chip pucks in instead of allowing them to enter the zone with speed and possession (this is an old school hockey idea by the way). Once they force a chip in they can skate well enough to win races to pucks or if they don't win the race to be able to regain possession from the attacker. Once the dman has gotten the puck back they need enough skating/puck skills/vision to transition it out of their zone either possessing it themselves or with a good pass to a teammate.

It's not enough to be able to just keep players to the outside and try them up in the corners until a friendly forward can come retrieve the puck. It's not enough to just play bug in front of the net. Netfront skills are still important and great to have but it can't be your only skill.

Like wise you don't need to be an offensive force, you don't need a booming shot, or elite skating or play making. You don't need to rack up points. But you do need to be able to be a translation player not purely somebody who tries to keep people away from the net.

Reactions: Aurinko

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
- Terrible puck skills... check.
- Bad ES production... check.
- Terrible possession numbers... check.
- Horrible at shot suppression... check.
- Brought down whomever he played with... check.

Hagg was a bottom ~10 defenseman in the NHL last year. That is pretty awful. Maybe one day he can be decent in a bottom pair role, but this year he was very far from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad