Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I think the decision on smith might rest on may 7. If the sharks win the lottery and get Mack, I think smith also goes pro, because a win at the draft means that the 'go for it' time is now.

Mack, Smith, and Bystedt all go pro. Edstrom perhaps too, and even musty and haltunnen get a look.

Add in Eklund and Graf (Im not high on bordy or any of the other young guns in the A) along with Zetterlund, and the sharks have a core of the future at forward rather well placed.

Now, the D... hmmmm..... well, I guess that's what 30+M in cap space is for.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I would add that it would be intriguing to see if the sharks can repatriot sasha chmelevski. I know they still own his rights. He crushed the KHL at approximately a point per game and at 24, he is entering his prime. His return would be intriguing....

BTW, if the sharks do not win the draft, I think smith stays, Haltunnen, musty, lund, all stay in jrs/college. Edstrom plays another year in the SHL while Bystedt may too, or ply his trade in the A.

the cap space this summer will be largely 1-2 year deals for filler and we will suck again for another season, with a clear eye on 2025-26 as the first "go for it" year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Okay, well, I certainly don't hate Haltunnen bringing it in two really important games. I've been dubious about him but... you can't say he's not excelling.
I actually have liked him lately. He’s been pretty good in the playoffs even outside the goals.

It’s true that I’ve been hard on Halttunen for his inconsistency at even strength but I do think it’s worth mentioning that he plays on the third line with a couple guys who would be lucky to have long AHL careers. He doesn’t get even strength time with Cowen/Barkey/Julien/McCue/O’Reilly.

I like the idea of a future third line of Edstrom, Bystedt, and Halttunen. Big guys who can skate well and have some offensive pop. I think their play styles would suite each other well. They’d need to be a plus defensive impact line to function on a contender but the potential is there.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I actually have liked him lately. He’s been pretty good in the playoffs even outside the goals.

It’s true that I’ve been hard on Halttunen for his inconsistency at even strength but I do think it’s worth mentioning that he plays on the third line with a couple guys who would be lucky to have long AHL careers. He doesn’t get even strength time with Cowen/Barkey/Julien/McCue/O’Reilly.

I like the idea of a future third line of Edstrom, Bystedt, and Halttunen. Big guys who can skate well and have some offensive pop. I think their play styles would suite each other well. They’d need to be a plus defensive impact line to function on a contender but the potential is there.
Important to remember, too, that he's still 18 years old and guys develop and grow as players at different paces. The thing that's always excited me about Halttunen, even when the warts of his game have been exposed, is that he's got some serious skill, the kind of thing that, well, I don't want to say it can't be taught or developed, but when it's innate to a player, that's special, and so he has a strong base to build off of to potentially have a successful NHL career. Certainly more than the average player picked in the second round.

So to hear that he's not just putting up the goals and assists in these playoffs but showing improvement in other aspects of his game? Very exciting stuff.

Reactions: Shark Finn

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There's a possibility that our offensive core is set if things work out and it's probably gonna have 7 1st round picks lol.

Eklund-Celebrini-Musty
Bordeleau-Smith-Gushchin
Halttunen-Bystedt-Edstrom

Then Zetterlund and whoever else. Could be an interesting lineup in a few years.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There's a possibility that our offensive core is set if things work out and it's probably gonna have 7 1st round picks lol.

Eklund-Celebrini-Musty
Bordeleau-Smith-Gushchin

Then Zetterlund and whoever else. Could be an interesting lineup in a few years.
I'm not a huge fan of lineup projection, but regardless I think that second line would be too soft/small. You'd probably see one of the big boys from 3rd line moved up and one of Bords/Gusch (or like player) moved down.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Eklund-Celebrini-Musty
Bordeleau-Smith-Gushchin

I would bet on one of Haltunnen, Gushchin, or Bordeleau sticking in the top-9 and one of Bystedt/Edstrom (with the other being the 4C). But regardless, if they get lucky with Macklin, having your 4 centers and 3 top-9 wingers (and that's assuming they don't get another winger at 14 and Zetterlund doesn't end up being a 3rd line winger even on a contender) set is a great foundation.

Reactions: Cookersjs

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of lineup projection, but regardless I think that second line would be too soft/small. You'd probably see one of the big boys from 3rd line moved up and one of Bords/Gusch (or like player) moved down.
Yea I don't really expect that to be the actual lineup and I kinda don't expect a lineup with both Guschchin and Bordeleau I the long run either. I think I could see them be in an eventual package for a top 4 defenseman. Mostly just cataloging what we have right now.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

That’s good to hear. He has a really alluring skill set I was just worried that he was leaning on being shooty mcshooterson and not doing much else.

I love that potential 3rd line, they’d be rough to play against, big, fast, and they all can score. Halttunen would be great on a PP too, with Eklund feeding him Eklund passes…

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Lastime the Sharks had a domineering 3rd line, it was Sunny, Reech and Thorty.

That's Nikolas Sundstrom -- now Sharks scout -- Mike Ricci -- now Sharks developement coach -- and Scott Thornton -- cousin of Jumbo and winner of the Battle of the Blades.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Lastime the Sharks had a domineering 3rd line, it was Sunny, Reech and Thorty.

That's Nikolas Sundstrom -- now Sharks scout -- Mike Ricci -- now Sharks developement coach -- and Scott Thornton -- cousin of Jumbo and winner of the Battle of the Blades.
Also, 2 of those players Wayne Gretzky called the most talented player ever.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Buried in a recent James Hagens article on EliteProspects was the claim that Will Smith is going back to college next season, stated like it was a fact. No idea if they actually know anything, but figured I’d mention.
Wasn't there an article a few weeks ago when one of the big 3 decided to go back that said basically the same thing? Might of been that article.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wasn't there an article a few weeks ago when one of the big 3 decided to go back that said basically the same thing? Might have been that article.
This article was only published a couple days ago. I’m just thinking that it must be known in hockey circles that they’re all going back, even if they haven’t announced it officially other than Leonard, who had to.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This article was only published a couple days ago. I’m just thinking that it must be known in hockey circles that they’re all going back, even if they haven’t announced it officially other than Leonard, who had to.
If it is true, we all can basically agree that it was Smith's decision with how fast the decision was made.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad