Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Christian Folin to one-year contract, $800K

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
We have plenty of offensive and hybrid Dmen up and coming. I guess having one or two destructive old school defenders to balance it out might not hurt as long as they can outskate Luke Schenn and Nick Grossmann.

I could probably outskate these 2, and I play summer D league lol

Reactions: Rebels57

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Don't join that herd just say you don't like him.LOl

IMG_0092.JPG

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He had 89 shots though. :laugh:

You know a player isn't particularly good when a stat like that comes up.

No one is arguing Hagg is anything special. But some of his haters look for every reason to justify their disdain while discounting anything the least bit positive for a 22 y/o rookie in hard minutes. Anyway, go back to your haughty approved stats like magic Corsi, that had Weise in the top 5 Flyers a season ago & where 4 of the top 6 teams in the stat missed the playoffs.

Reactions: AnimalFear

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No one is arguing Hagg is anything special. But some of his haters look for every reason to justify their disdain while discounting anything the least bit positive for a 22 y/o rookie in hard minutes. Anyway, go back to your haughty approved stats like magic Corsi, that had Weise in the top 5 Flyers a season ago & where 4 of the top 6 teams in the stat missed the playoffs.
Do you watch Hagg and think he is good?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Corsi is the most stupid stat.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

I'm not a stats guy (over 40, dislike the maths, have no desire to learn new tricks). I'm an eye test guy. My eyes bleed whenever Hagg is on the ice. I preferred Manning and greatly prefer MacDonald. I legitimately believe that Hagg was the worst defenseman on the team last season and that it wasn't particularly close. Serious question, when you watch Hagg, what are you seeing that you like? I'm not talking about anything special. I'm talking about, like, what in his play makes you believe he's even a legitimate NHLer? I'm just not seeing it. He has no puck skill, doesn't process the game quickly, and plays a reactive game that's just torture to watch. He's constantly chasing the play because he can't mentally keep up. As someone who values IQ above pretty much everything else, it's just awful watching him.

What are you guys seeing that I'm not seeing that makes you think that Hagg is even a half-decent NHLer?

mja

Jan 7, 2005
He was solid last year but was put in the wrong hole due to player shortage.

Explain "solid". In what ways?

As far as I can tell, the only part of his game that was solid was keeping guys to the outside on the rush, but what the f*** does that matter if he can never intercept the puck or force a turnover? All that leads to is a cycle game that he can't keep up with and then he has to start piling up hits by pinning guys on the walls while the other team piles up scoring chances.

Reactions: Adtar02

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Explain "solid". In what ways?

As far as I can tell, the only part of his game that was solid was keeping guys to the outside on the rush, but what the **** does that matter if he can never intercept the puck or force a turnover? All that leads to is a cycle game that he can't keep up with and then he has to start piling up hits by pinning guys on the walls while the other team piles up scoring chances.
It means a lot. When he hit and pins it should be our puck if the center is back. Never really happens though. Forwards are the main reason our d has problems. Gaps you could drive trains through and really no checking ever either physically or backchecking wise. Solid dman that Gallant would love.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, if you're pinning guys against the wall, if you're playing with good teammates, that's an advantage, it's when your teammates can't take advantage of you improving the odds because they're losing one on one battles, that it becomes a problem.

Hagg is a role player who'd look better with better talent surrounding him because he does the dirty work.
Needs a lot of improvement, but 22 year old rookies have been known to take their game up a notch or two.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Actually, if you're pinning guys against the wall, if you're playing with good teammates, that's an advantage, it's when your teammates can't take advantage of you improving the odds because they're losing one on one battles, that it becomes a problem.

Hagg is a role player who'd look better with better talent surrounding him because he does the dirty work.
Needs a lot of improvement, but 22 year old rookies have been known to take their game up a notch or two.
Exactly. We lose almost every battle in the game except for three or four players. I cant really blame any dman on the team with the lack of help they get. Hagg is gonna be good for years to come.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
It means a lot. When he hit and pins it should be our puck if the center is back. Never really happens though. Forwards are the main reason our d has problems. Gaps you could drive trains through and really no checking ever either physically or backchecking wise. Solid dman that Gallant would love.

The puck is usually long gone to the next attacking player on the opposition when Hagg is pinning guys, i.e., he's a step behind the entire time. It's completely ineffectual. You know who's good at pinning guys along the walls and helping his team gain possession? Ivan Provorov. I don't need Hagg to be Provorov. I do need him to be more than the possession trainwreck that he is. I just don't see a projectable decent NHLer when I watch Hagg play.

What else do you like about Hagg's game?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The puck is usually long gone to the next attacking player on the opposition when Hagg is pinning guys, i.e., he's a step behind the entire time. It's completely ineffectual. You know who's good at pinning guys along the walls and helping his team gain possession? Ivan Provorov. I don't need Hagg to be Provorov. I do need him to be more than the possession trainwreck that he is. I just don't see a projectable decent NHLer when I watch Hagg play.

What else do you like about Hagg's game?
That's ok its your opinion. He'll get get better but will be asked to chip pucks out and rip it off the wall to the wingers so don't think he'll get fancy.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Everyone would look better with better players surrounding them. That is not a trait specific to role players. He does the "dirty work" because he is incapable of doing anything else. His poor play rests on his shoulders and not the bullshit argument that the forwards don't do their job.

As for Hagg improving, it is a lot easier to improve when you are a very skilled player who still needs to build up strength than a unskilled player who needs to improve at literally everything else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You need a physical presence, especially in the playoffs, and especially in the D-zone.
Flyers have too many marshmallow defensemen - Ghost, MacDonald, Sanheim.
When Myers is ready, if Gudas gets his mojo back, Hagg will have less value, but right now he's our most physical defenseman.
Or maybe you haven't seen teams park bodies in front of the net on a regular basis?

Ideally, you want six guys like Myers, but realistically, you may have one or two, so you want some big defensively oriented guys to pair with puck movers.
If Hagg doesn't pick it up, eventually he'll be replaced by guys like Ginning or some other big defenseman with better passing skills.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
That's ok its your opinion. He'll get get better but will be asked to chip pucks out and rip it off the wall to the wingers so don't think he'll get fancy.
I don't need to point out shit. I just watch what other teams have and they all have Hagg types that are hard to play. We have bigger problems after this last playoff series then worrying about a rookie dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad