Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Christian Folin to one-year contract, $800K

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's your problem. You're using the eye test.

The coaches see 50x what you see.

fJwG39M.jpg

And then I never slept again.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
As of right now its going to be

Provorov-Ghostisbehere
Sanheim-Gudas
Macdonald-?

Last spot will be Hagg,Frolin or Myers and Myers will have to be good in training camp or its split time between the other 2
Actually.... with luck let's trade AMac to Montreal. They're really screwed and desperate losing Weber. Time to screw them some more

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yup. Even when eye test and every metric tells us the 2nd and 3rd pair should be flip-flopped, they wont be.
True, & Samhain is better, I’m not disputing that, but don’t you think their metrics would be a lot different if their usages were switched?

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Simmonds to CBJ for Panarin
Gudas to MTL for Pacioretty

Panarin-Couts-Giroux
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Pacioretty-Frost-TK
Lindblom-Laughton-Raffl

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Amac
Hagg-Myers
Folin

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Side note...go look at the Frolin thread on the main boards in comparison to the Sustr signing for $1.3 mill. thread. LA and Minny fans saying lots of good things about Frolin. Tampa fans...hate Sustr.

We did well.

Is there a particular reason you are calling him Frolin instead of Folin?

Just wondering if I am missing something. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Oh stahp.

I don't want to see Hextall's face on anything negative right now pertaining to the Flyers.

What more do you want him to do (Note: I'm speaking to everyone not named "tictactoe", who believes Hextall should have McDavid on this roster if he REALLY cares)

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The problem comes when rookie's DON'T learn from their rookie mistakes.
When a ten year veteran like Voracek makes the same mistakes, "shrug shoulders".
When someone like Manning doesn't learn, well, he's in Chicago. He's not the first Ron shipped out of town after playing a lot of minutes.

But you have different standards for the TK, Ghost, Sanheim types - because there's more at stake in their development.
You'll bench them, send them back to the AHL, etc. because you don't want to them to get "Gagner'd" unless they become hopeless.
If you can turn them into responsible, smart, two-way players, you may have a great player on your hands (see Ghost last year), otherwise you have the next Drouin who you will have to ship out of town before the league catches on that the player is less than his pretty plays.

Patrick, Provorov, Couts (and Frost and Farabee) don't need tough love, that's why Hextall tries to draft these guys, high Hockey IQ = low downside risk.

Believe it or not you can teach kids without cracking a whip. A lot of teams are having success with young players when their coaches take a more positive approach. No excuse to employ and play plugs anymore.

Reactions: Striiker

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As of right now its going to be

Provorov-Ghostisbehere
Sanheim-Gudas
Macdonald-?

Last spot will be Hagg,Frolin or Myers and Myers will have to be good in training camp or its split time between the other 2
That’s how I see it. I think they got Frolin to play and I think he takes Haggs spot. Hagg was in and out a bit to end the year. I’m not sure you can say they were as in love with him as it seems. Hopeful Myers takes over later in the year.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
From my perch out here on the Left Coast, I think this was a good signing for the Flyers.

Folin was solid for the Kings. When it looked like they'd be packaging a starting defenseman to get top-6 scoring help, King's insider, John Hoven, said that Folin was a candidate for an extension and a nice raise over the $850,000 he made last year.

When the King's signed Kovalchuck they got their scorer without giving a defender and ended up with a tight cap situation and a log jam at D.

Recent comments from Rob Blake make it sound like they want to make room for their 25 year old version of Phil Myers; Paul LaDue. They also signed Hobey Baker nominee D-man, Daniel Brickley. So, no room for Folin.

I like Folin at $800,000 for a year a lot more than I think the Hawks will like Manning at $2,250,000 for two.

Another competent right shot defender is great and shouldn't slow down Phil, so long as he shows what he can do. How the coach responds is another story.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Believe it or not you can teach kids without cracking a whip. A lot of teams are having success with young players when their coaches take a more positive approach. No excuse to employ and play plugs anymore.
Sort of similar, Couts said how it was easier for him moving up the line up because he felt like he could relax a bit. Instead of getting maybe 1 or 2 chances a night to score, he knows now if he doesn't convert on 1 chance he knows he'll get another. A rookie that knows he's not necessarily going to get benched or scratched for making a mistake probably plays a little more loose.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, I think he is a marginally better D than Manning... but will actually be used like a #7 most likely, which is nice.

2015-16 he was very poor... but every other year has held his own in the NHL.

His defensive stats are actually pretty solid:

2.09 ExGA/60
-0.12 ExGA/60 Rel

as is his P/60:

0.74 P/60

All of which are better than Manning over the same time-span.

The "problem" with him is seemingly NZ/puckmoving from the stats. But as a #7 can do a job I guess.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
I like Folin at $800,000 for a year a lot more than I think the Hawks will like Manning at $2,250,000 for two.

Another competent right shot defender is great and shouldn't slow down Phil, so long as he shows what he can do. How the coach responds is another story.

^^ This right here is why I like the signing, I have never seen a lick of Folin's play, and I didn't hate the mandog entirely, but this alone makes it a sound move with limited implications and general upside IMO

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
VdV, coach's favorite, gone.
Manning, coach's favorite, gone.
Folin better hope he doesn't become the coach's favorite (at least in the eyes of this board).

Hagg played last year because this team was marshmallow soft, not as bad as TB, but below NHL average, especially on defense when the league cut off Gudas' cojones. Teams attacked us by putting guys in front of the net on a regular basis, and they could have a cup of coffee, discuss the weather, and adjust their jock strap without fear of anyone disrupting their reverie.

If Gudas gets his mojo back and when Myers joins the lineup, Hagg will have less value, if Morin ever makes it to the NHL his job security further diminishes.
Hagg will either learn how to pass out of his D-zone or he'll be another "favorite" who's gone with the wind.

Folin will have no impact on roster decisions, he's an upgrade over Alt as the 7th defenseman.
If he starts on a regular basis, it'll be due to unhappiness with other players.

Reactions: BernieParent

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Folin didn't make Sweden's WJC-18 team, or play against men in the SHL, or get drafted.

Reactions: Norze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad