Post-Game Talk: Flyers @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Weird game. They completely dominated 5v5, scored 3 PPGs and still lost.

We really need to waste the dead weight ASAP. Smith and Staal need to GTFO, I like Strome but hes not a long term piece and hopefully they can reach an amicable conclusion with Hank.

Flyers-fan-in-peace moment:

You guys remind me a little bit of us a couple years back. You'll get crazy hot streaks with a team this young and talented, particularly with a defense this young, but it'll be hard to maintain those streaks, and setbacks like the Kreider/Igor injuries can really set the team back maybe more than they would an older group. So you may see flashes where it looks like the team is breaking through, but it could well be a mirage. Just stick with it, not too high, not too low.

Same thing with the Staal/Smith thing. It's not enough to just have "veteran presence" alongside those youngsters...they need to be learning from veterans who can actually still play. Provorov wasn't learning anything from MacDonald, but Niskanen has been a godsend, etc. Dead weight is pretty common on teams in transition like this, the sooner it's shed the better.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of this run either way. You got the foundations, on management to make good decisions and players to keep developing from here. All the best.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
His "effort" today was puke-worthy. Looked terrible live. Just chilling out there... Playing with Panarin has this boy spoiled. And friends, Kakko really sucked. I am starting to worry about him. This is NOT Svech 2.0 as we all hoped for.
There is nothing that has happened this year that can lead you to making any better educated guesses as to Kakko’s future

18 year old seasons are strictly about development, adjustment, and getting over the hump that is an 82game+practices+travel schedule

Even in 19 year old seasons its very difficult to assess future ceiling

The only truly objective note from this season about Kakko was that he isnt as physically nor mentally mature enough to have transitioned as easily as everyone thought. thats about it and that info becomes meaningless once mid-April hits

Reactions: jas and aufheben

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Personally I hate Chytil playing on the wing. Have him center Panarin instead of Strome and see what happens. Hopefully next year.
I was just really confused when i checked his stats, his production dropped drastically after amazing start. He is either lazy or has bad teammates. I am worried.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Honestly enough can’t be said about how bad a game Ryan Strome had. All of his negative qualities seemed to come to the forefront today. Lazy, unnecessary penalties, poor defensive effort, forcing passes when he should shoot, missing the net when he does shoot.

And I like Strome. But man that was just a putrid game from him. I can’t get over how lazy he is.

Reactions: Crease and Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Gorton better sell high on Strome and get a medium package of mid round picks to throw at a deep draft in June. This team has been dependent on goalies to save their bacon just about every single game. If Igor hadn't gotten hurt, we would have made it. Such a fine line.

Reactions: Absolut and bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This game annoyed me more than the last one.

They flat out got beat on Friday. Today it really feels like they basically tossed a win away thanks to Strome and the LEADERSHIP! crew.

Reactions: jas

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC

You guys remind me a little bit of us a couple years back. You'll get crazy hot streaks with a team this young and talented, particularly with a defense this young, but it'll be hard to maintain those streaks, and setbacks like the Kreider/Igor injuries can really set the team back maybe more than they would an older group. So you may see flashes where it looks like the team is breaking through, but it could well be a mirage. Just stick with it, not too high, not too low.

Same thing with the Staal/Smith thing. It's not enough to just have "veteran presence" alongside those youngsters...they need to be learning from veterans who can actually still play. Provorov wasn't learning anything from MacDonald, but Niskanen has been a godsend, etc.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of this run either way. You got the foundations, on management to make good decisions and players to keep developing from here. All the best.
How much did you guy luck out with Provorov though? If NJ did a smart thing, you would still have an option of Werenski... But it's not what the Flyers needed, IMO.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Reality since Shesterkin got in the car accident our GAA is 3.75 And a .889 sav%

we just aren’t good enough defensively to win with mediocre goaltending. This is after having some of the best numbers defensively in the league the last month.
I did some digging. This checks out.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Either Quinn was being diplomatic with his words or they're going back to Hank next game to try to get him hot.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Every loss is bittersweet, but at this point I think the playoff experience might do this team better than another draft lottery ticket. I understand this draft is deep, but I think they used up all the draft luck last summer. Going to have to wheel and deal their way to a top 5, if that's even realistic.

Reactions: Cmox and Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Every loss is bittersweet, but at this point I think the playoff experience might do this team better than another draft lottery ticket. I understand this draft is deep, but I think they used up all the draft luck last summer. Going to have to wheel and deal their way to a top 5, if that's even realistic.

Rangers got their top 3 pick. I agree that a playoff run even if short will be good for this team experience wise. I said in the GDT thread regardless of this game they still have a good chance to get into the playoffs. Islanders, Columbus, and Carolina have been struggling as of late.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Same thing with the Staal/Smith thing. It's not enough to just have "veteran presence" alongside those youngsters...they need to be learning from veterans who can actually still play. Provorov wasn't learning anything from MacDonald, but Niskanen has been a godsend, etc. Dead weight is pretty common on teams in transition like this, the sooner it's shed the better.

Interesting and relevant perspective. Much appreciated. That said, I don’t think the teams are an apples-to-apples comparison. Philly has been more a Re-Tool situation. (As far as I remember). As opposed to a tear-down. And the leadership situation is a bit different, too.

Also, sort of random (and not a poke @Rich Nixon). But in general, do we really need fans from other teams to declare they’re “coming in peace”. For the most part I think we enjoy other teams’ fans participating. The only exception being those who are trolling, and they’re obviously not coming in ‘peace’. I would just assume they’re being constructive and work from there. Just my two cents :)

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Honestly enough can’t be said about how bad a game Ryan Strome had. All of his negative qualities seemed to come to the forefront today. Lazy, unnecessary penalties, poor defensive effort, forcing passes when he should shoot, missing the net when he does shoot.

And I like Strome. But man that was just a putrid game from him. I can’t get over how lazy he is.
It could be he's completely gassed with the schedule lately. He really did step up with Zibanejad was hurt earlier in the year.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Will the real Fil Chytil please stand up....

..... no no... not over there... thats where the puck was going. Find some open space

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Either Quinn was being diplomatic with his words or they're going back to Hank next game to try to get him hot.

I will lose all confidence in Quinn. Honestly, I think goaltending is a cop-out usually, even if it blatantly sucks. So coaches almost never blame the goaltending because then you're almost excusing defensive breakdowns. The thing is Hank is what he is, there's nothing teachable in blaming him for goals.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I chalked this game up as a loss before the weekend. We are terrible on day games. I dont know why.

Losing Kreider and Shesty is terrible. We win 1 of these games with Shesty. Hart was big for PHI. robbed Mika and Panarin a plenty over the 2 games

2/3 of our LHD is bad.. Our vets on D are bad.

Strome
iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad