Post-Game Talk: Flyers @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Carter Hart’s a good one. It’s nice having legit goalkeeping, isn’t it.
As many have pointed out, it’s not that the guy needs to do acrobatics and ‘steal’ games. Just make all the standard stops and a great stop on occasion, when the team needs it. Actually, a good goalie can let in a softie here and there, when leading 5-1. Team is cool with that. That’s how it was with prime Henrik; Maybe a softie to lose the shutout - but no one cared by that point when we were leading 3-0. I think Shesterkin gives us that feeling now. I imagine Hart gives Flyers fans that feeling.

Yeah it looks like the Flyers finally got it right after 35 years after the unfortunate car accident that took the life of Pelle Lindbergh who looked like at the time going to be a Vezina winner a time or two in his career.

And that's kind of a scary thing if you think about it seeing goaltending has always been the Flyers achilles heel and always the reason they were never truly a Cup threat albeit a time or two with Ron Hextall.

If Hart is the real deal which it certainly looks like he is, than IMO the Flyers are going to be our main competition in the Metro in the next 5-7 years and not the Caps,Pens,Canes or Islanders as those teams are either aging and in need of a rebuild themselves or they don't have the goaltending or scoring prowess to make them true threats to us once we truly start to be perenial playoff participants beginning next year and Cup contenders 2-3 years from now.

So yeah to me, it's going to be like the old days of he early to mid 70's when I first became a fan and hooked as the Rangers and Flyers had absolute wars versus each other .

Instead of Giacoman vs Parent it's going to be Shesterkin vs Hart in some of the inevitable playoff matchups our two teams will have down the road and that my friends is going to be alot of fun.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The big difference in Hank is that a couple of times a game he is somehow far from the net, like on the first goal.

Silly to criticize the best goalie I have seen as a Ranger, though.

Rangers better hope that one or two of their upcoming Dmen are legit. Hajek isn't and Miller looked terrible in that one series a couple months ago.

Also, if Kravtsov isn't a legit top 6 in a year or two, they have more holes to fill.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
this.......honestly........wasn't that bad of a game

we were good at ES but got a healthy skull f***ing on the PK. Also don't really care what our percentage has been over a random stretch of games tbh, our PK has been really bad.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There’s a reason why on most nights a winning team has its goalie as one of 3 stars of a game or why fired coaches are virtually always had a problem goaltending.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
this.......honestly........wasn't that bad of a game

we were good at ES but got a healthy skull f***ing on the PK. Also don't really care what our percentage has been over a random stretch of games tbh, our PK has been really bad.
This is an accurate observation.
upload_2020-3-2_13-5-36.png

upload_2020-3-2_13-9-9.png

Reactions: Irishguy42

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Also, if Kravtsov isn't a legit top 6 in a year or two, they have more holes to fill.

Two for sure IMO. He’s one the org/rebuild is banking on. Gordon needs that one IMO. Kakko landing in his lap and Fox basically strong arming Carolina were gifts. Kravtsov has to make it with Lias MIA IMO.

Reactions: Maximus

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I think we're seeing a typical young team's response to a bit of adversity. We have Shesty and Buch get into a wreck, then Kreids breaking his foot. That's a lot to deal with in a few days. Not only that, but I had no doubt Hank would let in a few softies last night, regardless of his age. The guy hasn't played in a month! So for once, I don't place everything on his head. Had they stayed out of the box, the game could have been different. Lot's of stupid penalties.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Trouba has been terrible, like Redden level terrible, but no one wants to seem to go there.
In fairness to Trouba he's not being utilized in a role that plays to his strengths. The issue is that DeAngelo and Fox are both significantly better in the role that does play to his strengths...

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
One lesson we can take from the Flyers is the need for more and better depth for the third and fourth lines. That even extends up to the second line. The Flyers have excellent depth and AV (as he usually did in NY) rolled four lines throughout the game. That’s a winning strategy.

I thought the Flyer forwards were excellent on their defensive assignments.
Nailed it Bob ! Hopefully after this draft and recouping on Lias and Kravs gets MSG time the club takes the next step and we will have that depth . This is an important draft for the Rangers and I hope the scouts have done some homework on some kids out in Western Canada as we need some good old grit to come from a few rounds deeper in the draft to solidify 9th through 13 spots on the roster...turn a couple of 7ths into a beauty . Takes time though for that to happen .

Last edited:
Reactions: NYSPORTS and bobbop

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One lesson we can take from the Flyers is the need for more and better depth for the third and fourth lines. That even extends up to the second line. The Flyers have excellent depth and AV (as he usually did in NY) rolled four lines throughout the game. That’s a winning strategy.

I thought the Flyer forwards were excellent on their defensive assignments.

Agreed, and that's why I think some of the moves this team is going to kick the tires on, and pursue, are probably going to be more of the depth variety. In other words, they might not be trades that fans inherently get starry-eyed over. In some cases, they may even be deals where fans feel the Rangers gave up too much talent/skill to acquire support pieces.

Reactions: bobbop and NCRanger

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed, and that's why I think some of the moves this team is going to kick the tires on, and pursue, are probably going to be more of the depth variety. In other words, they might not be trades that fans inherently get starry-eyed over. In some cases, they may even be deals where fans feel the Rangers gave up too much talent/skill to acquire support pieces.
Completely agree. While I believe that they do need more ammo as far as prospects go, I think that the big club is not going to look all that much different up front. Where the difference may come are those support pieces that allow for depth as well as bring a different element than just skill.

One of the first domino is Fast and what happens to him. We know that he is not a top-6 forward, but he is a good third liner. But is that worth $3m? Not to me. Then there's the Strome/Buchnevich duo. I do not believe that long term both are here.

And lastly, I think that we can all agree that Staal should not be playing a starting role. Which means that Gorton needs to find partners for Trouba and DeAngelo. And that is going to use up some of the ammo.

Reactions: leetch99
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Completely agree. While I believe that they do need more ammo as far as prospects go, I think that the big club is not going to look all that much different up front. Where the difference may come are those support pieces that allow for depth as well as bring a different element than just skill.

One of the first domino is Fast and what happens to him. We know that he is not a top-6 forward, but he is a good third liner. But is that worth $3m? Not to me. Then there's the Strome/Buchnevich duo. I do not believe that long term both are here.

And lastly, I think that we can all agree that Staal should not be playing a starting role. Which means that Gorton needs to find partners for Trouba and DeAngelo. And that is going to use up some of the ammo.
I also think they need to improve their bottom six. More skill or more grit or better defensive acumen.

Reactions: klingsor

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I also think they need to improve their bottom six. More skill or more grit or better defensive acumen.
That is exactly what I mean when I say that the support pieces acquired for these parts, will more than likely offer something different that the skill of the top-6.

But just as important, they cannot enter next year with Staal & Smith comprising a third of the defense.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I think we're seeing a typical young team's response to a bit of adversity. We have Shesty and Buch get into a wreck, then Kreids breaking his foot. That's a lot to deal with in a few days. Not only that, but I had no doubt Hank would let in a few softies last night, regardless of his age. The guy hasn't played in a month! So for once, I don't place everything on his head. Had they stayed out of the box, the game could have been different. Lot's of stupid penalties.
You had a bunch of goals yesterday being scored off of deflections and from in close. Our special teams sucked big time take away 2 PP goals when the game was over. Listen Hank's better days are past but to say he let in a few softies yesterday is not fair. The Flyers dominated the first 2 periods and were skating at will and setting up all over. The defense turns the puck over too much. If you look at the last 2 games it has been turn over city and I am not talking just about number 18. Trouba and ADA have been miserable as well. Everyone needs to pick it up a notch or 2.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
That is exactly what I mean when I say that the support pieces acquired for these parts, will more than likely offer something different that the skill of the top-6.

But just as important, they cannot enter next year with Staal & Smith comprising a third of the defense.
I have to imagine some of the Miller, Robertson, Rykov, Hajek, Lundqvist, etc. group is going to be NHL ready. If NOT, does it make sense to part with some of that to bring back some vets that can play a role during the open window?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have to imagine some of the Miller, Robertson, Rykov, Hajek, Lundqvist, etc. group is going to be NHL ready. If NOT, does it make sense to part with some of that to bring back some vets that can play a role during the open window?
Lundqvist is still in SEL. I cannot see him making the jump straight to the NHL. Robertson may start the year in Hartford as we have seen that jumping straight to the NHL is not easy. I think that Miller is back in college for another year and then in Hartford for at least a year. Rykov couldn't stay healthy and when he did, did not exactly show that he is NHL ready. Maybe he has a strong camp and can claim a spot. I would think that the hope would be that Hajek can claim a spot on the bottom pairing.

That still leaves the top as to who to play with Trouba. And my gut feeling is that gets addressed from the outside, utilizing some of the prospects as trade chips.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But those guys are going to get offers for top six spots from other teams and be willing to pay them as such.
I cannot see Fast getting offers to come be a top 6 forward. And while Strome and Buchnevich may both be here next year, I think that the future only has one of them in the cards. Or even neither of them.

I would guess that based on what he is doing that Strome is brought back for 2-3 years. Which is fine, let Chytil develop. And if he shows that he is ready to claim the 2C spot, then they can always move Strome. And, and this is also pure gut, I think that Buchnevich will get moved as some point as a way to diversify the forward group.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Keane for Gauthier probably falls into this category

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad