Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If you think that’s enough to get Simmonds you’re crazy.

He could get more, but I'd be happy with that return. Simmonds won't return anything ridiculous. He is coming off a rough season and only has 1 year left on his deal. A 1st+Brown is a fair offer from my perspective.

Reactions: BernieParent

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why would he drop down in points? Drop like Schenn did? Any acquiring team will have him on their PP and he will produce.

Big contract? He makes less than 4 million. He has been on one of the best contracts the last 5 years. Not to mention, the Flyers could retain 50% to max his value. 2 million for a guy capable of 50-60 points!

Your offer is awful.

Maybe he meant a big contract coming up?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
When it sounds like you'd be easily convinced to part with him, though he's the guy that gives my teams the fits most when we play ya, I dare not argue.

Simmonds gives the team fits? On the PP maybe. But not when hes due for a 3 million dollar raise, and will be relegated to the third line, since Konecny and Voracek are our top 6 RWs.

I'd part with him, yes. and for a reasonable price. His a great locker room guy, and probably the best net front presence in the league. He has value, but his 'grit' that everyone seems to love is largely overrated, imo. He hits, yes. He fights if needed, yes. But hes not an overly physical player. His biggest asset is net front presence and we have Patrick who filled in well in that role, so hes expendable here.

Edit: Removed the unnecessary snarky comment, as i misread your post. My apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHGoalie27

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It’s not bad value but I think there’s better deals out there.

It just checks plenty of boxes.

Brown is a good PKer. He can close to replace Simmonds ES production, and is still fairly young.

Then a late 1st to top it off and you have a fair deal imo.

Reactions: Tripod

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
It just checks plenty of boxes.

Brown is a good PKer. He can close to replace Simmonds ES production, and is still fairly young.

Then a late 1st to top it off and you have a fair deal imo.

I’d prefer to get a more high end piece back which I think is doable. There’s plenty of players like Brown that we could bring in separately.

What about Simmonds+50 for Silfverberg+23?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think Ellis is worth quite a bit more than Simmonds, personally. I feel like Simmonds would be a nice fit in Tampa Bay. 2nd line with Point and Palat.
That’s an idea but not sure what the trade would be. Maybe Killorn+Raddysh+2nd?

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I’d prefer to get a more high end piece back which I think is doable. There’s plenty of players like Brown that we could bring in separately.

What about Simmonds+50 for Silfverberg+23?
Connor Brown is a glue guy.

He may never score 50 points on a regular basis but he's a Swiss Army knife, he's young and could be a 20 goal guy going forward.

There are probably better players out there but don't sell him short.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I hope not, personally. I want the Wild to invest in younger players. Also think that Simmonds is just entering the downside of his career, and will be a difficult and/or expensive re-sign as a FA. Bottom line is that Acquiring Simmonds doesn't make them a Cup contender in the short term, and makes them worse in the long term, because of the younger assets they would be giving up, and the onset of Simmonds decline.

Russo has expressed frustration with the lack of communication with the new GM, Fenton, so he might not be as plugged in as he normally is with the Wild.

My only worry is that Boudreau likes big players with toughness....I could easily see him wanting Simmonds.

All that is understandable. I understand and that’s why I think the move for Simmonds should be a prospect / young player + first. We aren’t one piece or even two pieces away. Our defense and our goaltending pretty much suck. We have 3 top 4 defenders, and then a maybe in Gudas who was neutered since his suspension.

That makes sense. Changing of the guard effected Philly as well, source wise. Not much as gotten out since Hextall took over.

It’s not like Simmonds blows. He’s a good player, top net front guy, and does the little things coaches and gms love. I could see numerous teams lining up and asking for him.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

He may never score 50 points on a regular basis but he's a Swiss Army knife, he's young and could be a 20 goal guy going forward.

I’m of the opinion, Simmonds value is somewhere around a first + prospect / younger player who hasn’t broke out yet + mid to late round pick.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
can you explain how and why the flyers are adding to the deal? Simmonds has out scored Nino over the past 5 years and brings more to the game

while Simmonds is a year away from UFA--flyers are not adding to move him

and for some perspective on nino's contract

Milan Lucic who some say has the worst contract in the NHL?

Last 3 seasons Lucic got 139 pts vs Nino's 132--Lucic just makes .750k more than Nino

Nino and Simmonds have remarkably similar stats from ages 21 to 25...

Nino: 388 games, 101 goals (.26 per game), 104 assists (.27 per game)

Simmonds: 367 games, 102 goals (.28 per game), 109 assists (.3 per game)

Now factor in the 4 year age difference and the fact that Simmonds is going to be looking for a 5 or 6 year deal at the age of 30 (when is the last time a team didn't regret doing that?), while Nino is still going to have 3 more years of control through his late 20's. That's why the Flyers would add.

But let's hope that it's a moot point.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You are going to give Flyers fans PTSD by describing anyone as 'glue' guys while Hakstol is coach.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I’m of the opinion, Simmonds value is somewhere around a first + prospect / younger player who hasn’t broke out yet + mid to late round pick.
That's very fair.

I'd be hesitant about moving the 25th pick but if it's the price, maybe the 25th overall pick and a prospect like Dmytro Timashov.

I don't think the Maple Leafs are interested in moving guys like Liljegren, Grundstrom or Dermott.

At the top end, maybe Jeremy Bracco and the 25th pick.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
That's very fair.

I'd be hesitant about moving the 25th pick but if it's the price, maybe the 25th overall pick and a prospect like Dmytro Timashov.

I don't think the Maple Leafs are interested in moving guys like Liljegren, Grundstrom or Dermott.

At the top end, maybe Jeremy Bracco and the 25th pick.

I don’t know much about Timashov.

And I don’t see much in Bracco.

I’m fine with brown / 1st / mid-late round pick. As it’s been said, brown pk’s And will fit into the third line and have the potential to improve offensively.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I’m fine with brown / 1st / mid-late round pick. As it’s been said, brown pk’s And will fit into the third line and have the potential to improve offensively.

Id probably be willing to toss in a 3rd or 4th if it pushed Brown and 1st over the edge. Brown is the ideal 3rd liner we need.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

Bracco is probably the most offensively skilled prospect in the Toronto organization.

Timashov is not as talented as Bracco but projects as a probably NHL player.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And also @SnS if we don’t move Killorn he would have to play 4th line

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Simmonds
Gourde-Cirelli-Johnson

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Id probably be willing to toss in a 3rd or 4th if it pushed Brown and 1st over the edge. Brown is the ideal 3rd liner we need.
Connor Brown is an excellent 3rd line RW and a staple on the PK.

He likely loses his job to Kasperi Kapanen, though.

Kapanen has developed into a very good PK guy and has better tools to contribute offensively.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All that is understandable. I understand and that’s why I think the move for Simmonds should be a prospect / young player + first. We aren’t one piece or even two pieces away. Our defense and our goaltending pretty much suck. We have 3 top 4 defenders, and then a maybe in Gudas who was neutered since his suspension.

That makes sense. Changing of the guard effected Philly as well, source wise. Not much as gotten out since Hextall took over.

It’s not like Simmonds blows. He’s a good player, top net front guy, and does the little things coaches and gms love. I could see numerous teams lining up and asking for him.
Simmonds is, and has been, a really good player. I just don't want to acquire him for the very same reasons that the Flyers are looking to move him. I also think that the league as it is is moving away from the style of play where he is most effective. I think Wilson's recent success has been an anamoly, not a trend. Wild have really missed two of their young, speedy players who went to Vegas in the ED, Haula and Tuch. Those are the types of players they need to be targeting. Haula was a 7th rounder, Tuch a late teens pick...not unobtainium.

I think that the Flyers and the Wild are in similar places. Wild are a bit older, a bit better, but with less in the way of prospects.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
He’s a fine middle 6 lw which you sorta need. Would probably be good next to Patrick and Voracek or some similar line.

It still doesn’t debate the fact that he is 28, and has a near 5 million contract for 5 more years. A first also isn’t in the offer, which IMO has to be if it’s a futures deal.

He isn’t a fit, nor a short term cap dump from another team.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It still doesn’t debate the fact that he is 28, and has a near 5 million contract for 5 more years. A first also isn’t in the offer, which IMO has to be if it’s a futures deal.

He isn’t a fit, nor a short term cap dump from another team.
Tampa has no 1st until 2020

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad