Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Connor Brown is an excellent 3rd line RW and a staple on the PK.

He likely loses his job to Kasperi Kapanen, though.

Kapanen has developed into a very good PK guy and has better tools to contribute offensively.

I’m a huge fan of Kapenen. But most flyers fans would want him in return.

I think brown is an ideal target. We need competent PK players.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Kapanen has developed into a very good PK guy and has better tools to contribute offensively.
Brown is the ideal guy for Philly to get along with a 1st.

fills the 3rd line spot that Simmonds now has
Helps the PK
adds speed which they need
fits the age
cost controlled and is a RFA when his deal ends

Reactions: SnS

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Right, which is why he'd be my target. Im sure Toronto wouldn't mind keeping him on the 4th line either, as he can probably play up and down as needed.

I dont see Simmonds as a good fit in Toronto, personally, specifically due to their RW depth. But if Toronto wants to make a deal, im all ears.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Simmonds is, and has been, a really good player. I just don't want to acquire him for the very same reasons that the Flyers are looking to move him. I also think that the league as it is is moving away from the style of play where he is most effective. I think Wilson's recent success has been an anamoly, not a trend. Wild have really missed two of their young, speedy players who went to Vegas in the ED, Haula and Tuch. Those are the types of players they need to be targeting. Haula was a 7th rounder, Tuch a late teens pick...not unobtainium.

I think that the Flyers and the Wild are in similar places. Wild are a bit older, a bit better, but with less in the way of prospects.

I absolutely agree with everything you stated. I was just curious because as far as I knew Russo had some Minnesota sources and I wasn’t sure if he lost them with the changing of the guard. I’ve always had a soft spot for some guys on the Wild, including haula when he was there. I don’t think Simmonds to Minnesota makes too much sense, but I just figured I’d ask. There’s too much smoke around Simmonds to not think of all the possibilities.

Which is why I think a Simmonds can be either a futures or a hockey trade (1 for 1 RHD or Lw or something with a small add added on.)

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Right, which is why he'd be my target. Im sure Toronto wouldn't mind keeping him on the 4th line either, as he can probably play up and down as needed.

I dont see Simmonds as a good fit in Toronto, personally, specifically due to their RW depth. But if Toronto wants to make a deal, im all ears.

Toronto needs a net-front presence, with the departure of JVR.

Reactions: Starat327

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

Brown is the ideal guy for Philly to get along with a 1st.

fills the 3rd line spot that Simmonds now has
Helps the PK
adds speed which they need
fits the age
cost controlled and is a RFA when his deal ends

Both these posts are spot on. I usually agree with these two posts, so it doesn’t shock me we are agreeing here.

Reactions: Starat327

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We took Lethera last off season to get a second first for Schenn.

He had a 2 year deal with a bad contract.
Killorn has 5 years left at nearly 5 million.
It’s under 4.5. Also Killorn can play unlike lehtera

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Brown is probably our best PK guy.

He also blocks shots with his face and is all heart.

He's the type of player Edmonton doesn't have, that's why the suck.

We need PK guys, and flyers fans love people who block shots with their face(see lappy when he was on the flyers).

I just don’t know 100% if the problem is the Pk formula or the players.

But brown definitely checks boxes for this flyers fan.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
It’s under 4.5. Also Killorn can play unlike lehtera

He’s 28, 5 more years on his deal. He doesn’t fit with the futures part of the deal and I wouldn’t do a hockey trade involving Killorn. It just doesn’t make sense from the flyers perspective. And I don’t see that as the “best” offer if it were potentially even on the table. That is one of those offers I’d probably vomit over like Tyler Myers for Wayne Simmonds straight up. I can’t see Hextall being impressed with either of them.

Having Jori wouldn’t of even been an issue if Hakstol wasn’t obsessed with him. We know he’s garbage. But he was only a 2 year cap dump. He is gone after this season, maybe sooner if Hextall waives him.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

Assuming Toronto could get Simmonds and Tavares, the lineup would look something like this...

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Simmonds
Martin - Aaltonen - Kapanen

Cart before the horse, I know. But it's June 20th.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
What kind of assets would the Flyers be looking for from the Bruins?

Either a hockey trade or I see his value as 1st / young player or prospect / late round pick. We can also take on a short term cap dump. But I prefer not more that two years. I’m not sure how long Hextall would be wanting a cap dump for.

Reactions: DrJustice

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He’s 28, 5 more years on his deal. He doesn’t fit with the futures part of the deal and I wouldn’t do a hockey trade involving Killorn. It just doesn’t make sense from the flyers perspective. And I don’t see that as the “best” offer if it were potentially even on the table. That is one of those offers I’d probably vomit over like Tyler Myers for Wayne Simmonds straight up. I can’t see Hextall being impressed with either of them.

Having Jori wouldn’t of even been an issue if Hakstol wasn’t obsessed with him. We know he’s garbage. But he was only a 2 year cap dump. He is gone after this season, maybe sooner if Hextall waives him.
Killer is coming off a 47 Point season btw, he’s no scrub

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
no interesest whatsoever in Alex Killorn
I would probably rather let Wayne go for nothing next summer than take on the remainder of Killorn's deal

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Killer is coming off a 47 Point season btw, he’s no scrub

Killorn has 4 full years left on his contract at nearly $4.5M a year.

He's a 40 point guy and closing in on 30 years of age.

Connor Brown is 5 years younger and on track to be cheaper and equally as productive.

Jan 21, 2018
Brown is probably our best PK guy.

He also blocks shots with his face and is all heart.

He's the type of player Edmonton doesn't have, that's why the suck.

Edmonton added a generational hockey player, the best in the world and they still suck. The players aren't the problem in Edmonton, it's the management.

Oilers are living proof you could have a team filled with lottery picks and it won't matter if your GM is incompetent.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Edmonton added a generational hockey player, the best in the world and they still suck. The players aren't the problem in Edmonton, it's the management.

Oilers are living proof you could have a team filled with lottery picks and it won't matter if your GM is incompetent.
Edmonton's problem is they need support guys like Brown and Hyman.

They don't have it. They draft poorly outside the 1st round.

You can have Gretzky on your team but if you round out the team with garbage like Mark Letestu and Anton Slepyshev, you're not going to win games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad