Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
per Michael Russo who says multiple sources have told him the Flyers are gearing up to trade Simmonds. Year away from free agency. He has a 12 team no trade clause per capfriendly.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
First and foremost, who is Michael Russo? And why should anyone put credence in what he says?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really good support player (non top 2 guy on a team). If Philly can’t win the cup next year better to move him than extend him. He turns 30 in August and is ufa next year when he turns 31.

Flyers have players coming up who will need new deals. Better To not extend summons’s into his late 30’s.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
First and foremost, who is Michael Russo? And why should anyone put credence in what he says?
From what i have seen and read from him he has alot of information on Minnesota. No clue how credible he is on Philly or other teams.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo's as credible as anyone you'll find. He speculates as much as any other writer, but when he cites "sources" you can be confident they are actual sources and not voices in his head. And generally he won't report something like that until he hears it from multiple people.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Is that a serious question? He’s always been very credible as far as I know.

Michael Russo is an American sports journalist for The Athletic. His primary beat is the National Hockey League and Minnesota Wild. He worked for the Minneapolis Star Tribune from 2005-17

Ok, thank you. Just asking. Usually, unless it's a Dreger, McKenzie or Friedman going on the record with trade speculation, I take it with a grain of salt.

That said, would I be floored if the Flyers traded Simmonds? No. But Hextall better get a haul - Simmer is a fan-favorite and brings a lot to the room and the community. Even though he played injured all season, he still scored 20+ goals and is beast, loaded with intangibles.

Reactions: BernieParent

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I'm all in favor of trading a guy for the best possible offer, but there'd be a heavy ****ing premium to trade Wayne not only within the division, but to NJ or Pittsburgh specifically.
It wouldnt be that much more for him to go to NJ/PIT then it would be out West. Itd be more but the days if in division trading being rare are over - nowadays if the deal makes sense you do it.

Idk what itd take to get him - considering he doesnt have a contract after next year its concerning

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
From what i have seen and read from him he has alot of information on Minnesota. No clue how credible he is on Philly or other teams.

Yeah he is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the Wild and without question has his sources for that team.

It's odd for him to be talking about a Philly rumor but given his credibility with the Wild I'd easily take his word on this one. He's not someone who would spew random crap to get hits. Most likely heard something from a Wild source or another source outside the Wild and is passing it along. Maybe the Wild are one of the teams that will make a play on Simmonds(It makes some sense).

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

Widely regarded as one of the best sports writers in the business and did the beat for many many years for one of the best papers in the country.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yeah he is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the Wild and without question has his sources for that team.

It's odd for him to be talking about a Philly rumor but given his credibility with the Wild I'd easily take his word on this one. He's not someone who would spew random crap to get hits. Most likely heard something from a Wild source or another source outside the Wild and is passing it along. Maybe the Wild are one of the teams that will make a play on Simmonds(It makes some sense).

Now that you mention it, the Flyers have supposedly coveted Charlie Coyle for a few years. Not that I would endorse us swapping Simmonds for Coyle, but something based around this has "typical Flyer deal" written all over it. Not to mention, if it came from a credible writer who has called Minny trades in the past.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Russo's as credible as anyone you'll find. He speculates as much as any other writer, but when he cites "sources" you can be confident they are actual sources and not voices in his head. And generally he won't report something like that until he hears it from multiple people.

If it's Russo reporting this, do we have reason to be concerned? Considering who he is mostly plugged in with...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad